HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:27 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
NumbSkull's Avatar
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,060 Posts
I've been wondering how the Ice controllers will hold up.

I couldn't figure out why a newer line of controllers, with (what should be) a better BEC is less then the old line of Phoenix controllers. Looking at Tower, the PH80 is still $10 or $20 more than the Ice.

I'm thinking of buying the Ice cause its cheaper, and just using an Ultimate BEC that I have on hand....
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:43 PM
Registered User
brucewsb's Avatar
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipover
I got my oldest one this spring from the LHS, came with my DX7. Should be fine unless it was an old stock set, I doubt that.

Kevin
Just power cycle the RX (while leaving the TX on) and if it comes back blinking on both main box and satellite with instant control returned then you have v1.6.
brucewsb is offline Find More Posts by brucewsb
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 09:23 PM
ADC Vinyl
Fliprob17's Avatar
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Real quick note on the Hacker X-80-OPTO Pro 3D ESC. If anyone is planning on, or has tried using the X-Link USB cable & software for programming, the OPTO version ESC's require a main flight pack to be connected to the ESC prior to connecting the ESC to the USB cable. Otherwise the software and USB interface won't recognize the ESC and you can't program anything.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 04:13 AM
Team 3DHS
BoneDoc's Avatar
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Checking in from the road guys (on a 10 day cross country vacation ).

Here's a relatively simple way to install the Neu setup for those interested. Basically, just drill / enlarge the hole to allow the motor to fit (but not too large as to allow you to still drill the four supporting hole.




Then you mount the Neu on an aluminum plate (I just modded one of my other motor's X mount for this purpose)


Also measure out how long your mount needs to be.



Use an appropriate length nylon washer and rods found at Lowe's, and you're set




BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Last edited by BoneDoc; Oct 06, 2009 at 04:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 06:19 AM
I am UNIQUE!
Fig Jam's Avatar
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Simple and elegant, nice install Josh

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 08:15 AM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
goflyhighrc's Avatar
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc
Checking in from the road guys (on a 10 day cross country vacation ).

Here's a relatively simple way to install the Neu setup for those interested. Basically, just drill / enlarge the hole to allow the motor to fit (but not too large as to allow you to still drill the four supporting hole.




Then you mount the Neu on an aluminum plate (I just modded one of my other motor's X mount for this purpose)


Also measure out how long your mount needs to be.



Use an appropriate length nylon washer and rods found at Lowe's, and you're set





What did you do about the thrust angle !!
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 08:26 AM
Ta-dah!
blakevan's Avatar
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,462 Posts
Looks like the thrust angle wouldn't change because he mounted it against the existing firewall.
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 08:35 AM
Registered User
ronrandle's Avatar
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc
Here's a relatively simple way to install the Neu setup for those interested.
Well done Josh, simple and solid. Had you thought about using bolts instead of threaded rod? I'm a little concerned that I can't torque threaded rod as well as I can a bolt.

Ron
ronrandle is offline Find More Posts by ronrandle
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 08:47 AM
blucor basher's Avatar
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Nice job Josh. Very clean and simple. Now, we need someone to produce that front plate in CF.

Goflyhighrc - As answered above, thrust angle is set by the firewall. Josh has mounted his motor to the firewall. Therefore, his motor is pointing at the correct thrust angle.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 08:52 AM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,151 Posts
that is neat. does that motor have a gearbox built into it?or are they mounted on the side of those motors when they have gearboxes..you guys are gonna make me try one of these.they seem to be gettin popular....when in Rome...
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 08:54 AM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1
that is neat. does that motor have a gearbox built into it?or are they mounted on the side of those motors when they have gearboxes..you guys are gonna make me try one of these.they seem to be gettin popular....when in Rome...
Manta,

That's a P32 planetary gear box on the end of the motor. It works just like the planetaries in an auto trans.
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 08:58 AM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsmotors
Manta,

That's a P32 planetary gear box on the end of the motor. It works just like the planetaries in an auto trans.
wow!compact lil buggar aint it? im guessing with the gear reduction you get more power/rpms/torque with less amp draw/power from batts,less heat buildup?
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 09:19 AM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1
wow!compact lil buggar aint it? im guessing with the gear reduction you get more power/rpms/torque with less amp draw/power from batts,less heat buildup?
Just like anything we put in our planes, there are things to consider.
Ease of use, weight, performance, reliability, service, etc.

Comparing our 89" Slicks, Josh gets longer flight times than I do.
I haven't noticed a difference in heat.
Mine makes more watts but my GR70 & Spin are heavier.
Noah's (Numbskull) 89 has crazy power with a 1527 Neu.
We never did get them all together & drag race maybe FYI 2010?
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 09:21 AM
blucor basher's Avatar
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
I still like this idea of giant-scale vertical drag racing. Under the lights. Would be cool.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 09:33 AM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
I still like this idea of giant-scale vertical drag racing. Under the lights. Would be cool.
I'm in!
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM