HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2009, 03:29 PM
WI
Joined Mar 2001
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman777
I've noticed the same thing with mine. I haven't actually measured them, but just by sight the ailerons are getting exactly the same deflection up and down. I haven't tried to adjust it out yet though.
Ok, glad its not just me. I do tend to get anal over some stuff

Someplace I read Andrew was needing to work out some roll issues with his 126", I wonder if its the same kind of thing?

I haven't actually measured mine for movement, just know I have 10% diff dialed in on the DX7.

Kevin
Tipover is offline Find More Posts by Tipover
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2009, 03:31 PM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Norway
Brushless digitals. Power hogs for sure...

Basically, they are as powerfull as the 7985s, but faster, so they draw more current.
I have to disagree. Futaba BLS451 are much more efficient than many of the other digital servos out there in that torque range. I run them on my helicopter and even used them with a CCBEC @ 6V for a period of time with no issues. The Align DS6XX and JR87XX servos are really power hungry in comparison.

Also, the newer firmware on Spektrum (v1.6) allows a fast reboot where you wouldn't even know that you lost signal. The only way you can tell is by looking for the blinking lights on the RX after the flight.
brucewsb is offline Find More Posts by brucewsb
Old Oct 05, 2009, 03:32 PM
WI
Joined Mar 2001
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero3803
Talk about irony...I just drove an hour to pick up a tp 2s 1350 to run as an rx pack. I get it home and the lil' pack is reading 0 volts...
Sorry to hear, what a pain.

Kevin
Old Oct 05, 2009, 03:39 PM
WI
Joined Mar 2001
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewsb
Also, the newer firmware on Spektrum (v1.6) allows a fast reboot where you wouldn't even know that you lost signal. The only way you can tell is by looking for the blinking lights on the RX after the flight.
Bruce, Do you know how long they have been using v1.6?

Kevin
Old Oct 05, 2009, 03:52 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrandle
Blake, the website says: "

Because it is an efficient switching regulator, SportBEC can supply its full rated current of 3.5A all the way up to 8s."

I have a couple of fellow flyers that run that BEC on 8s and they don't have a problem with their digital servos so I think I am safe running the 5amps BEC on the 100ICE with my 985mg.
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Oct 05, 2009, 04:15 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrandle
Blake, the website says: "

Because it is an efficient switching regulator, SportBEC can supply its full rated current of 3.5A all the way up to 8s."

That sounds low, but my previous 25% SU-26 ran three digitals and two analog servos on the same set up so I wasn't too worried about it. I suppose the CC BEC pro is an option if you want more headroom, but I haven't experienced any issues with my current set up. YMMV

I wonder if anyone knows how much these servos pull in real life flying? Sport flying versus a hard maneuver such as a blender? Does the EagleTree logger do that?

Ron

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/SportBEC.htm

Input voltage: 9V to 33.6v (3s-8s lithium, up to 21 NiMHs)
Output current: 3.5A (~8 standard servos, 4-6 digital)
Weight: 13g/.46oz (including wires)

Can't you wire up some connectors for a watts up meter, strap it in the plane and look at the max current when you come down? I don't know if I would feel comfortable doing that but you could test it on the ground by putting some resistance against the rudder or elevator while you move all surfaces to full deflection.....right?
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Oct 05, 2009, 04:30 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipover

Kevin
A little more than a year...your packaging should say what version you have. I sent all my old ones back for a firmware update....I believe its still free but it takes 2 or 3 weeks to get them back.
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Oct 05, 2009, 04:34 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to hear, what a pain.

Kevin
Actually as it turns out, I'm just a moron....

Since my cellpro multi 4 is only set up for eflite balance connectors, I have seperate adapters for TP packs. 2 and 3 cell TP packs have the same balance connector, so I stupidly had connected the 2 cell to the 3 cell charging port on the multi 4. When I started it, it read the pack as a 1 cell at ~0 volts. It only stayed 'charging' if you even call it that for a couple seconds. When I checked it on a multimeter, everything looked fine. I then realized what I did, and plugged it into the correct 2 cell port, and everything looks fine. I'm nervous now that I may have botched it up starting the charge in the wrong cell count port. The pack isn't puffy, but I feel like when I hold it up to my ear and squeeze that I can hear a liquid shifting sound. It may be the shrinkwrap, but I can't tell.....

All the cells are balanced perfectly....

Not sure if she's safe as my rx pack after that blunder...any idea?
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Old Oct 05, 2009, 04:37 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
You're fine. No damage done in a second or two, and honestly I doubt the charger even hit it with energy considering didn't recognize it as being viable.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Oct 05, 2009, 04:37 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
if your cells stay balanced after a few cycles I wouldn't worry about it.

Pull some juice out of it and then recharge it. If the cells are reasonably balanced prior to charging and it charges correctly and balances correctly I say you are good to go.

The cell pro gives you all that information so just keep an eye on the pack and get us some flight reports!
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Oct 05, 2009, 04:38 PM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
Quote:

Kevin
Over a year now, maybe even a year and a half.

EDIT: Opps, just saw GoldCraft replied.
brucewsb is offline Find More Posts by brucewsb
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:36 PM
WI
Joined Mar 2001
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero3803
Not sure if she's safe as my rx pack after that blunder...any idea?
I agree it shoud be fine. I doubt it even went into charge mode. Probably did'nt even have a common cell connection beings it was in the wrong socket. Chargers are pretty smart these days.

Kevin
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:36 PM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala
Can't you wire up some connectors for a watts up meter, strap it in the plane and look at the max current when you come down? I don't know if I would feel comfortable doing that but you could test it on the ground by putting some resistance against the rudder or elevator while you move all surfaces to full deflection.....right?
This little gadget from CSRC is simple and does a great job of measuring in flight servo loads.

I used it on one servo at a time and then hammered that flight surface. Then I plugged it into the throttle lead and read the load of all 4 servos at once. High throttle tumbles & blenders and rolling harrier seem to generate the most load on all surfaces at once.

I'm running four HS7985 and the total load has been under 3a.
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:40 PM
WI
Joined Mar 2001
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewsb
Over a year now, maybe even a year and a half.

EDIT: Opps, just saw GoldCraft replied.
I got my oldest one this spring from the LHS, came with my DX7. Should be fine unless it was an old stock set, I doubt that.

Kevin
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:15 PM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsmotors
This little gadge from CSRC is simple and does a great job of measuring in flight servo loads.

I used it on one servo at a time and then hammered that flight surface. Then I plugged it into the throttle lead and read the load of all 4 servos at once. High throttle tumbles & blenders and rolling harrier seem to generate the most load on all surfaces at once.

I'm running four HS7985 and the total load has been under 3a.
Yeah, I definitely feel safe with the 3.5 amps the BEC is capable of. Based on temps and performance, it didn't appear I was even close to max current. Thanks for doing the homework Kevin.
ronrandle is offline Find More Posts by ronrandle