HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:05 AM
Go guerrilla
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2005
4,899 Posts
Great progress, Rich! Hope to see it out there on Sat at HCAM (I won't be there Friday). I plan to bring my 87" for sure haven't decided about the 70" yet. I'm a little gun-shy about bringing all my big planes after the FLI
jfv61 is offline Find More Posts by jfv61
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:11 AM
Eastern, NC
Joined Dec 2007
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthorne
John,

That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to double check.

Progress is going quickly. I had all the covering cut out where needed and the horizontal stab installed. Hinge points were installed in the elevator's and rudder along with the control horns. This evening I should get the elevator's and rudder installed followed by radio/motor/esc install . I think a Saturday test flight is pushing it, but Sunday shouldn't be a problem.

Looking forward to bringing it with me to Austin next weekend.

Rich

Jeez, I'm still waiting on mine...

It should be here in a few hours though, its definately the longest few hours anyone will ever have to sit through

I have the day off and UPS is taking their good ole time about it...
M Carr is online now Find More Posts by M Carr
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:26 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
I got mine last night. I fell asleep on the couch waiting for the UPS driver. My wife laughed at me. I told her at least I wasn't outside the front door sitting in a chair waiting on it.

It looks great and is extremely light. The paint and covering look awesome. The only complaint I have so far is that the landing gear cover block doesn't seem to be the right size. It appears to have been a miscalculation somewhere but it isn't sized correctly to fit over the landing gear and be flush with the fuselage. I didn't have any white covering to match or I would have modified it. It will be on the bottom anyway so won't be visible....too much.

These pictures are of it glued in place.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Last edited by cmala; Sep 11, 2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added one more picture
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:37 AM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
Wow hoo! Just saw that UPS rescheduled the delivery for today instead of Monday.
brucewsb is offline Find More Posts by brucewsb
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:03 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadamian75
I could not wait any longer after tracking the package for days I saw it arrived at the distribution center 3 miles from my house at 430AM I drove over and picked it up at 7am this morning. Its a lot better than waiting all day.

Joe

You did? WOW! Pictures?

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:08 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
ups run abour 2pm where mine is being delivered..i wont get over ther till around 7pm tho..
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:09 AM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadamian75
I could not wait any longer after tracking the package for days I saw it arrived at the distribution center 3 miles from my house at 430AM I drove over and picked it up at 7am this morning. Its a lot better than waiting all day.

Joe
You have a sickness.
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:12 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
You have a sickness.
hehehe no kiddin..
good thing i had to work,and dont know where the distribution center is around here
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:32 AM
MK2
IT's A SLICK SICKNESS...
Long Island NY
Joined Oct 2008
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbthumbs53
Has anyone that ordered it recieved their vinyl from ADC ? If so, how does it look?

I have ordered in 4 or 5 differant sets from Rob ( all for 3DHS Planes ) and they are amazing, great work and a great person to deal with....
MK2 is offline Find More Posts by MK2
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:32 AM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1
hehehe no kiddin..
good thing i had to work,and dont know where the distribution center is around here
This might be it

UPS CUSTOMER CENTER
STAFFED LOCATION
4286 COLLINS RD
UNADILLA, GA 31091
800-742-5877
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:46 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Lets see some more build photos...

kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:06 PM
Go guerrilla
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2005
4,899 Posts
more on PU for hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhawker
I'd watch it closely for the first half hour to an hour, and then periodically after that until you know it's completely dry. Depending on how damp the surfaces are and how humid/hot it is the day you're gluing will depend on how fast and how much it foams up. After gluing the 103" rudder hinges in TX I really noticed the glue dries differently up here without the humidity and with our altitude (assuming the difference in the air density has something to do with it).
I think humidity is the big difference, our humidity is high so it foams like crazy even with no moisture added.

FWIW, I did my elevator hinges this AM and at least 2 hours before they were near what I consider "hard". I'd be very careful about moving things too much when the PU is soft because you can collapse the bubbles and then all that gap filling goodness is gone. OTO, I do gently fully deflect while soft to make sure the hinges are clear. Don't get me wrong, I prefer PU glue just want to be realistic about how much time it will take for it to harden for you...
jfv61 is offline Find More Posts by jfv61
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:19 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
You have a sickness.
I am surprised the military has not recruited you, Andrew and Ben to develop the chemical that is used by 3DHS on these planes into a biological weapon
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Sep 11, 2009, 01:03 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint
This might be it

UPS CUSTOMER CENTER
STAFFED LOCATION
4286 COLLINS RD
UNADILLA, GA 31091
800-742-5877
thats it! is closer to where i work than home too../.that was dirty man....hehehe it should be on the truck now tho within im betting 15 miles of drop off spot (fatboyflyins house)
Old Sep 11, 2009, 01:39 PM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
Did a sample test with the white Gorilla PU glue and compared to the brown stuff. Sure enough, as mentioned by others the white stuff foamed and ended up more squishy and peeled off the piece of wood while the brown stuff foamed but was hard and stayed bonded to the wood.
brucewsb is offline Find More Posts by brucewsb