SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2009, 08:19 AM
Addict of Everything
Perth, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
651 Posts
Discussion
how to tell if your dx6i is charging?

Okay so this should be simple... i'm using the stock spektrum rechargeable nicads and i plug the charging cord into my dx6i and turn the power on at the power outlet, and leave my dx6i swigched off... but it doesn't seem to be charging....... i feel stupid. Is their a special button or something i'm meant to press?

Any help for this confuzzled noob would be greatly appreciated
yogibbear is offline Find More Posts by yogibbear
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2009, 02:15 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,381 Posts
With DX6i off, there is no indication of charging.

Flipped on, you'll see a much higher voltage reading than you did before connecting the charger. Don't LEAVE it on though.

It won't tell you when it's done either. The manual says "overnight" so that's what I do and it has always worked.

BTW, what are you flying with the DX6?
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Aug 26, 2009, 03:14 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Isn't there a light on the charger that comes on when the radio plugs in?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 26, 2009, 03:41 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,381 Posts
All I've got is a monolithic wallwart. No LEDs or holes for them. DVE model DVR-0615-3508.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 07:17 PM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
i made a parallel JST connector at the wires of the NimH that came with my dx7 and charged it with my LIPO charger in NiMH mode of coz
did not wanna risk leaving my dx7 plugged to the wall .. if anything goes wrong at least its just my batt that fried and my dx7 is safe
QiW is offline Find More Posts by QiW
Old Aug 26, 2009, 07:39 PM
AE
Champaign, IL
Joined Jul 2009
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QiW
i made a parallel JST connector at the wires of the NimH that came with my dx7 and charged it with my LIPO charger in NiMH mode of coz
did not wanna risk leaving my dx7 plugged to the wall .. if anything goes wrong at least its just my batt that fried and my dx7 is safe
Thats bad! charging Nicads at higher rate than around 0.5A(i think) could cause the battery to fry, who knows it might even explode or atleast catch fire.
missil3 is offline Find More Posts by missil3
Old Aug 26, 2009, 08:50 PM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by missil3
Thats bad! charging Nicads at higher rate than around 0.5A(i think) could cause the battery to fry, who knows it might even explode or atleast catch fire.
i did write i was charging it in NiMH MODE ... i am charging it at apprx 0.3A in my turnigy charger .. so its pretty safe ... and i fly for about 2 weeks b4 indicator on the dx7 says low voltage and i charge again .. and again .. and again
Old Aug 26, 2009, 08:53 PM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
ps .. my dx7 came with a NICKEL METAL HYDRIDE .. not NICKEL CADMIUM (which is pretty obsolete and inferior in every way)
and u can trickle charge the cadmium batt at 0.1A ... thats definitely safe

in any way .. i would avoid sticking any wall plugs into my TX .. better frying the batt than the TX
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:32 PM
Addict of Everything
Perth, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
651 Posts
Well i left my dx6i plugged in overnight and it still says low battery....

@Jas: there's no light on my charger

Maybe it's something to do with the power plug adaptor for US/AU
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:15 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,381 Posts
Ah, then not charging.

What kind of 'adaption' is taking place? Charger match AU voltage standard? Own a multimeter?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:36 PM
Addict of Everything
Perth, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
651 Posts
Yeah the dx6i power setting is AU/Europe and i'm using a multi-purpose power outlet adaptor to convert the US (i think?) straight vertical two prong to the AU 3 prong arrangement... no idea why it's not recharging.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:45 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,381 Posts
Not the DX power setting, that has to do with RF emission, nothing to do with batteries except make them discharge a little slower as the Euro radiation standard is lower.

I mean VOLTAGE. What is the AU standard? If it's 220 and the charger is 120, the 120 is burned out, for example. The rating is printed on a sticker on the charger.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:30 PM
Addict of Everything
Perth, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
651 Posts
Argh! Crap... so um... where do i get a 220-240V charger rather than the 110V one i seem to have...
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:48 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,381 Posts
Um, if you plugged a 120 charger into 220, you don't have a charger at all any more. Might save the wire and connector, never know when you might want to graft them onto something else. Pay attention to polarity, DX's is backwards.

Can't advise where to get a 220 charger, living in a 120 country. Surely searching some website.....
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:42 AM
AE
Champaign, IL
Joined Jul 2009
60 Posts
you get to 120 to 220 step up transformers that will work for you. You just have to make sure you get the one with the correct current rating. Also it might get too hot sometimes so you have to watch out for that as well.
missil3 is offline Find More Posts by missil3