HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Hangar 9 64" Saratoga on Wheels and Floats Review

The Saratoga, Hangar 9's new shoulder-wing sport plane, delivers outstanding performance with Golden Age good looks. Now with optional floats.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:64.2"
Wing Area:694 sq. in.
Plane Weight:5.5 to 6.25 lb
Length:49.25"
Plane Wing Loading:20 oz/sq. ft.
Plane Power Loading:132 Watts/lb or 8.2 Watts/oz
Servos:(4) JR DS821 Digital
Transmitter:9C w/Spektrum Module
Receiver:(Min 4 Ch) JR AR7000
Battery:TP 3850 mah, 4-cell, 30C
Motor:EFlite Power 46 Outrunner
Prop:14x7E APC
Manufacturer Plane:Hangar 9
Available From:Horizon Hobby Dealers and Fine RC Hobby Shops
Retail Price Plane:$224.99

Hangar 9's new Saratoga is a great looking sport plane that recalls the classic lines of those 1930s home-built and racing aircraft. It looks so unique, you'd never know that it's actually a shoulder-wing version of the popular Pulse series of sport planes. The development history and design rationale are explained in this Hangar 9 product preview video of the Saratoga. Like many of the newer Hangar 9 offerings, the Saratoga is designed for both glow and electric power.

As an added bonus, the plane even includes mounting provisions for their popular 40-size wooden floats. Though the floats were originally designed for the Hangar 9 Cub, they are now available for the Saratoga as well. We'll take a closer look at these floats a little later in this review.

Weight w/Floats:7.5 to 8.25 lb
Wing Loading w/Floats:27 oz/sq. ft.
Power Loading w/Floats:105 Watts/lb or 6.3 Watts/oz
Servos:JR DS821 Digital, (5) with Floats
Float Length:36"
Bottom Reinforcement:Fiberglass
Float Assy Width:20.75 in.
Tip to Step Length:19.25 in.
Float Assy Weight:32 oz.
Manufacturer Floats:Hangar 9
Available From:Horizon Hobby Dealers and Fine RC Hobby Shops
Retail Price Floats:$129.99

Kit Contents

The Saratoga kit arrived safe and sound thanks to its double boxing and secure contents layout. Each major component was individually bagged and the installed control horns were covered with foam cubes to keep them from poking holes in the adjacent parts.

Saratoga Kit Includes:

• All Parts precovered in an attractive UltraCote color scheme
  • Fuselage with pushrod tubes
  • 2-Piece wing with pre-hinged ailerons and two aluminum spars
  • Horizontal stabilizer with pre-hinged elevator
  • Vertical stabilizer with pre-hinged rudder and tail wheel
  • Pre-painted cowl with matching spinner
  • Heavy duty painted landing gear
  • Heavy duty axles, wheels, and wheel pants
  • Pilot figure and windscreen
  • Glow engine mount and plumbed fuel tank with tubing
  • Electric motor mount standoffs and bolts
  • Forty page photo-illustrated assembly manual

Saratoga Kit Requires:

• Minimum 4 channel radio with 5 full-size servos (4 Electric)
  • .46 size glow or electric motor
  • 2-6" servo extensions or 1-12" Y-harness
  • Thin & medium CA glue and Zap-A-Dap-A-Goo
  • 30-Minute epoxy glue and canopy glue
  • 3/32 hex wrench, file or dremel tool,
  • 1/4", 7/16", and 1/2" box end wrenches
  • #1 and #2 Phillips & flat blade screw drivers
  • Metric propeller reamer
  • Thread locking compound
  • Assorted drills and knife blades

Float kit includes:

• Wooden floats w/fiberglass reinforced bottom
  • Floats precovered in silver UltraCote
  • Wire strut assembly
  • Water rudder and hardware

Float Kit Requires:

• Standard servo and 6" servo extension
  • Charge adapter for fuselage

Recommended by Hangar 9 and supplied by Horizon for this review:

• E-flite Power 46 Brushless Outrunner Motor
  • E-flite 60-Amp Pro SB Brushless ESC
  • Thunder Power 3850 mah, 4-cell, 30C Lipoly Battery
  • JR AR 7000 7 Channel Receiver
  • 4-JR DS821 Digital Servos

Assembly

Saratoga Assembly Manual

The forty page assembly manual is well illustrated and detailed enough for all but first-time builders. If this is your 1st ARF model, you may need to get a little help from someone with some ARF building experience. You may also want to check the RCGroups build log in which various modelers have shared their Saratoga building experiences. As with most ARFs, the model may need to adjust to your local temperature and humidity before you start the build to let the wood breathe and shrink or expand as needed. After a couple of days, the review model still needed the covering tightened in several areas. I'm pretty slow with a heat iron, so it took me almost two hours to get the UltraCote covering looking just right. Since this initial shrinking, the covering hasn't needed any additional work.

Fuselage

Construction began with the landing gear. I found that it was a lot easier to fully assemble the landing gear before I attached them to the fuselage. I made sure that I filed flats on the axles and used threadlock on the wheel collars. It's no fun to see your new creation take off with one of your wheels still rolling down the runway. Just one of RC life's little lessons I've learned the hard way.

I installed the three mounting bolts for the landing gear and the two nuts for the tail feathers and the fuselage was sitting pretty on the workbench.

Wing

Assembly of the wing consists of slipping together the two wing halves over two aluminum rods. The wing assembly is held in place by two wing dowels at the leading edge and two wing bolts at the trailing edge. I could have glued the wing halves together with 30-minute epoxy, but I chose to leave them separate so I could more easily transport my Saratoga to the flying site. While I was test-fitting the wing on the fuselage, I noticed the wing dowels were a very tight fit in the fuselage bulkhead. When I removed the wing, one of the wing dowels stayed behind in the bulkhead. I put it back in the wing and used some thin CA to hold it in place. I'd recommend a few drops of thin CA on the wing dowels just in case. Since the wing dowels were such a nice tight fit in the fuselage bulkhead, I rounded the front edges of the dowels to help them get started.

Waterproofing

Since I knew this Saratoga was destined to be a floatplane, I knew I needed to consider some form of waterproofing before I installed all the radio and electronics gear. I not only wanted to treat all the electronics and connectors to initially waterproof them, but I wanted to prevent any corrosion in the future. I've found that somehow water will always find its way into the electronics and usually at the worst possible time. Even the most experienced floatplane pilots will occasionally dunk their floatplane or have one turned over by a crosswind.

There are numerous ways to protect delicate electronics and most of them are described in detail in the Waterplanes Forum here on RCGroups. I have personally had great success using a product called CorrosionX. Here is the science behind how this product works and here are some of its uses.

So before I installed any of the electronics in the Saratoga, I treated them all with Red Can CorrosionX. I also treated all the pushrods, plug ends, and switches. Treatment will keep the contacts and all the exposed wire ends from corroding.

Radio Installation

JR AR7000 Spektrum RX
JR AR7000 Spektrum RX
Frequency Band: 2.4 GHz
Type: DSM2
Number of Channels: Seven
Receiver Type: Dual RX
Antenna: Two Antennas per RX
Range Classification: Full Range
Main RX Size .996" x 1.85" x .62"
Remote RX Size 0.89" x 0.98" x 0.27"
Weight: 14g
Voltage Range: 3.5V - 9.6V
Price: $99.99

Horizon supplied a Spektrum DSM2 AR7000 receiver for this review.

The manual shows an excellent method for mounting the receiver in a foam cocoon secured with a hook and loop strap. This method works very well for airborne models, but the foam tends to hold moisture in a floatplane and may lead to receiver damage. I elected to use hook and loop fastener material to hold the AR7000 receivers in the fuselage.

I also used a few extra servo extensions above those recommended in the manual. I added a light weight 2" extension from the battery/bind port that so that I could bind the radio whenever I needed without having to pull the RX out of the plane. I added a 6 inch extension for the throttle ESC and two 6" extensions for the Ailerons - One on the Aileron channel and one on Aux1. The elevator and rudder servo leads were already long enough to reach the RX. I then added a 6" extension for the water rudder in Aux2. By using Aux2 for the water rudder, I was able to trim the water rudder and set travel adjustments independent of the flight rudder.

JR DS821 Servo
JR DS821 Servo
Type: Digital
Size Factor: Standard
Motor: 3-Pole
Bearing: Single Ball Bearing
Operating Speed 60: .19 sec (4.8V) - .15 sec (6V)
Torque: 72 oz-in (4.8V) - 88 oz-in (6V)
Weight: 42.5g/1.5oz
Dimensions: 1.5" x 0.74"x 1.47"
Gear Type: All Nylon
Price: $29.99

Horizon supplied DS821 Digital standard servos for this review. The Saratoga servo mounts were already sized to accept these servos and the mounts were already drilled for the servo screws. All that was needed was to thread a servo screw into each hole and remove the screw so the mount could be hardened with CA before the servo was mounted.

Power System Installation

Eflite Power 46 Outrunner Motor
Eflite Power 46 Outrunner Motor
Type: Brushless Outrunner
Continuous Current: 40A
Max Surge Current: 55A
Max Power(watts): 925W
RPM/V: 670
Weight: 290g
Number of cells: Li-Po 4s-5s
Shaft diameter: 6mm
Male Motor Connector : 4mm
Price: $109.99

Horizon supplied an E-flite Power 46 motor, a Pro 60 ESC, and a Thunder Power Lipoly battery for the Saratoga power system. The fuselage firewall has a lot of holes to accommodate both the glow and electric mounting systems. I used the Power 46 "X-mount" to locate the proper holes for the electric power system. I marked the four holes and then used the marks to position the motor standoff spacers.

The 5 Volt Switch-Mode BEC of the E-flite 60-Amp Pro Brushless Controller can provide 2.5 Amps continuous current even on 6-cell LiPo packs. That's enough capacity to safely power 7 analog or 6 digital standard-size servos. The Thunder Power 3850 mAh Pro Power 30C LiPo 4-cell battery pack can provide 116 Amps continuous or 231 Amps in a burst. This power system was able to generate 828 Watts of static power on a 14x7E APC prop.

Eflite 60-Amp Pro Brushless Controller
Eflite 60-Amp Pro Brushless Controller
Type: Brushless Speed Controller
Max Cont. Current: 60A
Max Surge Current: 75A
Number of cells: LiPoly 3-6, NiCD/NiMH 9-18
Battery Cut Off: Preset or 70%
BEC: 2.5 Amp Switch Mode
Male Battery Connector: EC3 Type
Price: $84.99

Thunder Power Pro Power LiPoly
Thunder Power Pro Power LiPoly
Batteries Type Lithium polymer
Number of cells 4
Capacity 3850 mAh
Voltage 14.8
Weight409 gm
Dimensions (L x W x D) 144 x 44 x 36mm
Maximum Continuous Discharge 30C
Maximum Continuous Current 116 amps
Maximum Burst Current 231 amps
Maximum output 1700 watts
Balance Port Thunder Power Balancer
Price: $129.99

Completion

The completed Saratoga weighed 5 pounds and 11 ounces Ready-to-Fly. I checked the center of gravity and with the flight battery all the way forward, the CG was exactly at the recommended 2-3/4" location. I set the control surface throws at the recommended amounts for low and high rates and then I programmed in 25% exponential on low rates and 35% on high rates.

There is a scoop on the bottom of the fuselage that allows for the glow muffler to clear the bottom sheeting. The battery hatch is notched out to match the scoop. Because of the location of the scoop, the installation and removal of the LiPoly battery becomes a bit of a trick. It's not impossible, but it can be a bit of a challenge.

Flying Off Land

Basics

The Saratoga was somewhat of a surprise. Even though it comes from the same bloodlines as the Pulse, it actually flew better at a much slower speed, was easier to steer during takeoff, and landed smoother than my glow powered Pulse. Low rates were very effective and high rates were just a lot of fun.

Taking Off and Landing

The Saratoga looked mighty racy, and I was worried the it would be a handful on takeoffs. Boy, was I ever wrong! The Saratoga was a sweetheart on the runway. With the big 14" prop up front, I needed to use a little right rudder for takeoffs, but less than my other tail draggers. Low rate rudder and a little expo made the takeoff runs straight as an arrow. Since I had plenty of horses under the hood, I didn't need anywhere near full power for takeoffs or climb outs.

I was also worried about the landings because the Hangar 9 Pulse had a reputation of landing with a bit of a bounce. Happily, the Saratoga settled in nicely and stuck to the runway once the mains touched down. The plane had a nice slow rate of decent and was rock solid all the way to touch down. As slow as the Saratoga flies, 3-point landings were a piece of cake. Touch-and-goes were a thing of beauty as the tail wheel need never touch the ground.

Sport Aerobatics

Here is where the Pulse family heritage began to pay off. Even on low rates, the Saratoga was capable of all routine pattern maneuvers. Loops were as big as I wanted, aileron rolls were on a string, stall turns were crisp, snap rolls really snapped, and spins stopped as soon as I neutralized the controls. Inverted flight only took a little down stick and so did knife edge flight. Cuban Eights were a thing of beauty: The Saratoga was so stable that it was easy to place the crossover point just where I wanted it to appear.

High rates made things happen a lot faster, but I still felt very much in control. The Saratoga responded quickly, but would return to neutral flight as soon as the sticks were released. The E-flite Power 46 provided plenty of punch for any maneuver I tried. The total E-flite/TP power system package was a great match for this airframe.

Is This For a Beginner?

No. The Saratoga does not have the self-righting characteristics needed by a true beginner. However, if you can fly a high-wing aileron model, you should have no problem with the Saratoga. Its mid-wing design has more stability than a low-wing model so it would make an excellent second plane. Keep it on low rates and get some help from an experienced modeler for your first few flights, and you should be fine.

Glow or Electric?

About the time I finished the review model, a friend brought his glow powered Saratoga down from Ft. Worth for me to test fly. I was able to do a little side-by-side comparison between the glow and electric versions. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they trimmed out the same and flew exactly the same. It's a credit to Hangar 9 that the Saratoga would perform so well with such different power sources.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Downloads

Floats

Assembly

Even though the delivery company tried its best to destroy the package, the Hangar 9 double boxing and sturdy internal packing saved the floats. It would have been a real shame to damage such good looking floats. The hangar 9 40-Size Wooden Floats have a beefy plywood internal structure that adds to the rigidity of the floats without adding unnecessary weight. The bottom of the floats are reinforced with a layer of fiberglass from the tip all the way back to the step.

The float mounting system uses blind nuts in the floats and nosewheel style mounts to hold the wire bracing structure in place. The mounts had some excess flash that needed to be trimmed before the wheel collars would fit. The float rudder servo fit the recessed mount just right, and the pushrod lined up perfectly. The rudder shaft needed to have a flat filed to help hold the steering arm in place and to keep it from twisting under load. I needed to file a flat on the rudder shaft at an angle that would allow the steering arm to be offset enough not to hit the rear of the float at full rudder deflection.

Installation

I found that the screws used to attach the front mounting plate were a little long and needed to be ground off to keep them from tearing up the bottom of the Saratoga fuselage.

I found that I needed to take extra care when drilling the front holes for the rear float brace. The front screw holes are directly below the rudder and elevator servos and there is only 1/8" clearance between the top of the float mounting block and the bottom of the servos. If I had drilled too deep, I would have drilled into my servos!! I then discovered that there were two different length screws included in the float mounting hardware package. I chose to use the shorter screws to prevent damage to the servos.

Installation Video

Downloads

Center of Gravity Checkup

After the floats were attached, I needed to recheck the CG. If additional weight was needed, I planned to add lead to the tips or back of the floats to move the CG back into the correct range. The floats for this review needed a total of 2 ounces of lead on the tips to get the CG back to the 2-3/4" point.

Flying Off Water

Extra Protection

Since I had opened the air vents on the battery hatch and the rear of the fuselage, I needed to cover them to prevent water from splashing into the plane. Since I live in a warmer climate, I also needed to provide some airflow over the electronics and batteries. I made splash guards from an old milk jug and from the clear cowl material provided in the kit.

I worked very hard to keep water from ever getting inside of the Saratoga because I know that Murphy just loves floatplanes.

Basics

I was a little worried about that extra 2 pounds of weight from the floats adding to the wing loading and that extra drag from the float surface area adding to the power loading of the airframe. Not to bother. The Saratoga hardly even knew the floats were there. It was one of the best behaved float planes I have ever flown.

Taxiing On Water

I'm glad I put the water rudder on the Aux2 channel on my radio. My first high speed water taxi tests showed the need for more left water rudder to keep the floats tracking straight. I was able to dial in some left subtrim on Aux2 and get it tracking absolutely straight for the takeoff run. The Saratoga on floats behaves very well on the water. I used high rate rudder for low speed taxiing and low rate rudder for takeoffs. The water rudder is very effective. Crosswind taxiing is not a problem. If I held a little up elevator and kept the rear of the floats in the water, I felt I could have taxied forever.

Taking Off and Landing

My very first takeoff seemed to take a while, and I needed to give some up elevator to get it off the water. Once I was airborne, I found the reason - I needed more up elevator trim for level flight. Must have been the extra drag of the floats below the fuselage. After that little bit of elevator trim, the rest of the takeoffs were easy. I just added power gradually and a touch of up elevator and we were flying.

The biggest surprise was landings. The Saratoga would set up just like on land and settle into a gradual descent. I would cut the throttle to idle, let it fly down to the water, and add a little up elevator just before touchdown. My first water landing with the Saratoga was a thing of beauty. It had to be a fluke, because I don't land that well on water. Three more takeoffs and landings proved that it must have been the plane and not the pilot: All the landings were slick as glass. They looked and sounded great!

Waterplane Aerobatics

Even with the extra drag of the floats, the Saratoga still flew great at just over 1/2 throttle. Loops and rolls looked great. The only time I noticed the extra drag of the floats was during snaps where the Saratoga lost forward momentum faster. The rudder still had plenty of authority for crisp stall turns. Slow flight was very stable with good control and inverted flight was easy to maintain with just a little down elevator. The Saratoga flew so well on floats that I felt confident flying every aerobatic maneuver I wanted even though I was low and out over the water.

Is This For a Beginner?

No. A true beginner should not choose a floatplane for their first aircraft. However, a novice flyer who can fly a high-wing aileron plane should be fine with the Saratoga on floats. Its mid-wing design is more stable on the water in a cross wind than a high-wing design, and the Saratoga is very easy to take off and land.

The Saratoga would make an excellent float plane for the more experienced modeler. It's great water handling will make you look like a waterplane pro and the aerobatics will keep you from getting bored. The two-piece wing and the ease of installing the ARF floats means you can take the Saratoga along to the lake anytime.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Downloads

Conclusion

The Hangar 9 Saratoga is a great flying sport airplane. Its mid-wing design gives it great stability, and its Pulse heritage gives it wonderful aerobatic capabilities. The recommended E-flite motor, E-flite ESC, and Thunder Power battery give the Saratoga enough speed and power to please any modeler. The Hangar 9 40-size ARF floats are icing on the cake. They are just the right size for the Saratoga, they are very easy to install and they behave very well on the water.

Pluses:

• Very high quality ARF
  • Great color scheme - Love the Checkerboard
  • Power 46 has plenty of power
  • Wheel pants included
  • Pilot figure included
  • Great Flying Plane!
  • Optional ARF floats easy to install
  • Great Flying Float Plane!

Minuses:

• Loose wing dowel
  • Battery installation a bit tedious

Thanks to Billy Hell (aka Jim T. Graham) for the background music in the videos. You rock!

Last edited by kingsflyer; Feb 16, 2010 at 08:33 AM..

Discussion

Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:05 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Great review, and GREAT vids!! And it's nice to hear I'm not the only one that coaches myself aloud while flying!! And nice little tid bits for covering the vent holes!
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:27 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,053 Posts
Thanks. My video guy wants me to tell him what I'm doing so he can anticipate the plane's flight path -- I'm really not talking to myself. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Of course, any plane would probably fly a lot better if it would do what I say for it to do rather than what it does after I wiggle the sticks.

Here is a Vimeo version of the Sartoga Flight Testing - Land Version
Hangar 9 Saratoga review for RCGroups (7 min 24 sec)

Here is a Vimeo version of the Wheels to Floats Video
Hangar 9 Saratoga, switching from wheels to floats: Review for RCGroups (6 min 46 sec)

Here is a Vimeo version of the Saratoga on Floats Video
Hangar 9 Saratoga on floats: Review for RCGroups (7 min 32 sec)

Hope you enjoy watching these videos as much as I did making them.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Feb 19, 2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:27 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,424 Posts
Nicely done!

Toledo Special does very well w/skis:

H9 Toledo Special Full Throttle Pass (0 min 11 sec)

Bet the Saratoga would too!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:47 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Mike - Great review - can't wait to fly this one. Next when you comin' this way?

Mike L
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:04 PM
Honey, I got more planes!
USA, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2003
4,274 Posts
Excellent review! Love the pictures!!!!
ghee-grose is offline Find More Posts by ghee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:22 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Thanks for the great review. I love to fly mine. Getting the packs in and out, seems like it will be tricky, but it's not, just gently rest her upside down on bent knee and it's easy.
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:40 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,401 Posts
Hey Mike, nice job on the review. I especially liked the floats video...very smooth on those landings!

I can't wait to fly your Saratoga at SEFF!

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:46 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
You made my day! Greta review, and FINALLY someone who compaires two planes. I never found a comparison review between the GP Escapade and the Pulse.

I've had a dozen Pulse's of all sizes offered and what i've disliked about everyone of them is one thing. THE BIG WING! As you pointed out, they float all the way to the stall on landing and bounce, making a smooth landing, either on grass or pavement hard to do and more luck than skill, AND they over rotate when snapped and rolled. Im glad they shortened the span a bit and fixed that and made it a mid wing which should make the rolls more axil.

They have impressed me with the well thaught out float option with the rear block and the way the wing mounts makes it very easy sence a float plane usually doesnt fit in a car with the wings on.

I'm selling my Pulse 40 to get the saratoga!! http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=605338
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:59 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,053 Posts
jrb,
The Special looks great on skis. It looks like they just bolt onto the existing landing gear in place of the wheels. Who made the skis?
I bet the Saratoga would do just as well off snow. One thing for sure, the color scheme on the Saratoga would be a little easier to see in gray skies and on the snow than the Toledo.

Mike L,
I hope to come to the 3DHS Fly Low In later this year. I'll save you some stick time if Andy doesn't wear it out at SEFF.

Jake,
As much as I like my Pulse, I like the Saratoga better! I have an Escapade and I think the Saratoga flies better. We fly a lot off the water here during the Summer months and I plan to make the Saratoga a regular this year.

Andy,
I'm telling you, it's the plane that's making the pilot look good in the videos. This plane lands smooth. You'll see at SEFF.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Feb 17, 2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:05 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
... if Andy doesn't wear it out at SEFF.

Andy,
I'm telling you, it's the plane that's making the pilot look good in the videos. This plane lands smooth. You'll see at SEFF.
Ha! I'll treat her with the utmost respect!

I know what you mean about making the pilot look good. Horizon has been cranking out some nice ones lately, eh?

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:35 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
I did like my Pulse better than the Escapade. The Escapade is faster and lighter, but also smaller. Its wing is too small IMO! Lands fast and can tip stall if you flair too much. I tried mine with floats, which made the landings very hot and tips stalls too easy to encounter! It was much like my old SuperSportster, only a bit wilder becasue of the bigger control surfaces. The Escapade would be a great candidate for a bipe mod, like the SuperSportster too!

I think the Saratoga is right in the middle, and should suit my wants/needs both dry and wet!!
Old Feb 18, 2010, 07:11 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,424 Posts
McD,

Fortunatley we mostly have bright sunny days in the winter -- single digits F the day of the videos:

H9 Toledo Special T/O off Snow (0 min 14 sec)

The skis are from MAIDEN Model Products: http://www.maidenusammp.com/ .

The middle and smaller sized skis I have are from them; I use the largest on my 1/4 Cub:
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:41 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,643 Posts
I know its a little off topic, but can anyone compaire the Toledo to a Rascal?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:53 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,424 Posts
R = flat bottom wing; TC = semisymetrical; probably other things too.