HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2009, 08:41 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
Discussion
Old plans, kit plans etc...?

I have here two boxes full of old plans - most are from magazines that I have bought over the last 30+ years...

A third box is missing - presumed lost when I moved house - although it could be the case that the missus got to it before me...

That contained a lot of my old 'model doodles' - sketches and plans for models that I messed about at designing when I began aeromodeling with my dad - and his Keil Kraft Marquis - in 1974.

Also in the 'lost box', were plans for models that were given to me by modellers that had bought a kit and made the model, or plans from kits I had bought and made...

...such as:

Veron Cardinal & Veron Robot.
I bought those two kits in a model shop in Bournemouth in the summer of 1980 - or was it 1981...?
Whichever - it was a long walk to the shop past Hurn 'airport' - and an even longer one back to the holiday flat with those boxes.

Keil Kraft Gyron and Keil Kraft Snipe.
The Gyron plan was given to me, but I've not built one - and as it is missing...

I just bought a Snipe 'partkit' - with printed balsa and a plan - it is not really 'Keil Kraft'... but I am making at least one with it.
I will copy the printed balsa and make templates so I can make a couple...
One for my 1959 DC Bantam - another for a 1" diameter brushless I think.

Keil Kraft Fleetwing and Student
Both plans were from a local model club member - in about 1978

I was given the plans for a Keil Kraft Outlaw as well...
Those are lost - like the rest - but I have a .pdf of the Outlaw plans, and I will be making one for next year.
I will be using a 'nearly new' 70's Enya .19 with it.
I will be using 1970's radio with it, too.

Keil Kraft Cadet and Chief gliders.
I bought the Chief built and 'ready to fly' after seeing it advertised in the newspaper.
With it I got the box and the two-sheet Chief 'plans' and instruction 'booklet', and also the plans for the little Cadet glider.

I fitted two tiny Futaba 30M "Mighty Midget" servos ( well - they were 'tiny' THEN ) into the Chief - which was covered in pale orange tissue !

Bowman Simpleton and MFA Snipe gliders
Both those plans were given to me by an 'old boy aeromodeller'...
I had a bought a new PAW149 and he had a PAW80.
The MFA Snipe was rather heavy ( unlike the magnificent Simpleton and Super 100 gliders ) - and so it "needed" an engine over the wing to "take it up".
The 80 was just not man enough...
The 149 was way too powerful for the ~3ft models that I used to design and build - so we swapped, and I got the plans into the bargain.

Bowman Fiesta and Mini Skyman
I was given the Fiesta plan in the late eighties - but the Mini Skyman plans were from a kit that I bought on the day I left college in 1982.
I flew it 'solidly' over two summers ( 1982 and 1983 ) with a Baby Bee and two 30M servos.
I remember that the kit was 9.50 with film + 1.50 post !

I just today found my plan for a DB Mascot, and a Galaxy Aerojet - for a 540 buggy motor.
That plan was also given to me by the 'old boy'... it was a fantastic flyer on a buggy 6-cell pack of1200mah Saft Sub-C's way back in... 1986 - I think ?

There were more - the 'nostalgaic drawer' in my mind is opening...

I am hoping that I can find the 'blue' plan for an original Ripmax Trainer30.
It was given to me by a friend with whom I still 'play' with models - 'planes, boats and me Tamiyas...

He bought and built the kit ( 35 if I remember right in 1983, I think ) and gave me the plan. I really should make one - 30+ years later !
That kit was ALL wood - a real 'builders' model' - even the glue was included !
No cheap ARTF's back then...
( The Bowman Super 100 glider plan was also from him... )

'Boddo's' Tyro and Tyro Major.
Pronto and Ghost Rider - also by David Boddington - as well.

I made a 36" span 'Mini Tyro' ( scaled at 67% by hand with a steel ruler and a calculator ) from the Tyro Major plans.
The Baby Bee and the radio out of the Mini Skyman went into the 'Mini Tyro' when I smashed it.
I still have the wing in a cupboard - and the alloy U/C...

Also - anyone remember St. Leonards Models ?
I'd love a copy of the St. Leonards Models 'Pluto' plan - a chunky free-flight rubber model of about 24" span - with sheet fuselage sides that was such a fantastic flyer that it flew away with a cloud one day !

Has anyone perhaps got a digital copy or copies of any of the plans that I have mentioned above...?
I realise that I am clutching at rather short straws...

Where possible or necessary, I plan - errr.... I intend to scan all my old plans and save them to a server owned by another modelling aquaintance... so all can share without passwords or time limits.

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Last edited by keven64; Aug 25, 2009 at 08:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:07 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Bournemouth, you say? I spent a lovely week in that fair town in '79, waiting for the Air Show at Hurn. Found a pub that was a perfect fit (wow, they loved Canadians!), and Harry Vear's Hobby Shop. I ordered a couple of kits from him (Deacon, plus a Matador IIRC, couldn't believe that all that pine, okay, Solarbo, would actually build such a light model), and enjoyed his conversations. Wrote to him a few years later, letter came back , "Gone Away", often wondered whether he retired, or died.

Not too familiar with St. Leonards, but spent a lot of time dealing with Michaels Models, bought a few diesels from them. I still prefer to deal with the UK, better service and better selection IMHO.

In the midst of a 28" rubber-power Typhoon off Albert Hatfull plan, looks to be a good performer, thick wing and all...

You're not the only one with a ton of plans, Keven... I couldn't live long enough to build all the models I have plans for! I'm sure just the Aeromodeller pullouts could last me past my 100the birthday! Ain't this hobby FUN???
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Aug 26, 2009, 01:10 AM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
I know I am not the only one with Aeromodeller pull-outs - nor am I the only one who is scanning those he has...

I'm not bragging about what I have - I am asking if anyone has copies of the plans I mentioned above - which I have lost...

For each bunch of the plans I have that I am not interested in building, there were one or two in that lost box that I did want to build...

You should start building now !

Keven.
Last edited by keven64; Aug 26, 2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 09:55 AM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
646 Posts
Keven, I may be a bit befuddled but I think it might be best if you posted a simple list the plans you want without other comments.

Pat.
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:22 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I didn't see any bragging there Keven...

Check with Applehoney, he has a huge catalogue of plans, and shares them through copies.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Aug 26, 2009, 05:38 PM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
I think that goes without saying, Pat...!

TLyttle,

Many thanks - I shall do as you advise.

Keven.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 05:54 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keven64
I think that goes without saying, Pat...!

Keven.
What, that I'm befuddled or you should post a simple list ?

patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Aug 26, 2009, 06:08 PM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
BOTH !

I should have posted a simple list...

Keven
Old Aug 26, 2009, 06:38 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
I don't have any R/C plans in my files (sic) and only ones I could otherwise assist you with are copies of the Cardinal and Cadet

Let me know if of interest as I need an excuse to go to the copyshop in next town!

I'd be interested to see a 'Pluto' should one come your way

JM
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:55 AM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
Applehoney,

Thanks, I sent a PM.
I can't see me ever finding a Pluto plan - but I will look.

With regard the other models I mentioned above, I shall ask specific questions.

Keven.
Old Nov 02, 2009, 01:38 PM
UK, Ballymena, Ballymena
Joined Aug 2008
139 Posts
I am also looking for the ripmax trainer 57"wing span aileron elevator model part no BRK-500. I have the box full of balsa but no plan.
Just saw the post and thought no harm in asking!
ourbluehorizon is offline Find More Posts by ourbluehorizon
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:01 PM
uk (kent)
Joined Jan 2011
9 Posts
Ripmax Trainer BRK 500

I can help you here.. I am just about to build another, my last was 30 years ago.. it was exatly as the box cover.. (my first RC model) I was learning to fly with it and lost it in the Woods 6 months later I found it, re built it and continued to fly it.. it died in a poor hand launch few years later... I have a spare plan perhaps we could help each other.. to build 2 ;-)
my email is ghollamby@aol.com
hamerite is offline Find More Posts by hamerite
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:34 PM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
An update...

Those plans I've since 'stumbled' upon...

I found lots of the old Veron and Keil Kraft rubber 'scale' model plans, and my old MFA Hummingbird plan.
(the Hummingbird was one of the first 'proper' electric powered kits - that really flew when built - with a 540 buggy motor in the nose...! )

Veron Robot - I've obtained new copies.
Veron Cardinal - I received a paper copy from Applehoney... as advised by TLyttle

Keil Kraft Chief - the plans were posted in THE thread by someone...
Keil Kraft Gyron patterns and Snipe plans - I've got them and also the Fleetwing plans.
Keil Kraft Marquis too - I've even posted the scanned image into THE thread as a .pdf...

I found my pink Boddington Tyro plan - that I scanned some time ago - it's on here somewhere.
I turned it 'white' for clarity, but I didn't .pdf it.
I have also found my tatty Tinker biplane plans, the Pronto plans and the Mascot plans.

Bowman's Simpleton - I received a paper copy from...? ( I need to check my PM's. )
Bowman's Mini Skyman - I've got a copy of that now, as well.

I have not yet found the plans for

Ripmax Trainer,
Bowman's Fiesta,
St. Leonards Models Pluto,
Tyro Major,
Keil Kraft Student...

...and my Galaxy Aerojet plan is now mislaid.

My scanner is OoO - but I've been promised another as a gift - so if anyone fancies copies of those plans I've found - I'll do my best.
I have Photoshop and Acrobat - so I can make almost any file format.

Keven.
Last edited by keven64; Jan 16, 2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:40 PM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
hamerite,

Welcome to RCGroups,

I have sent an e-mail to you...

Keven.