SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2009, 03:20 PM
Joined Jul 2004
30 Posts
Build Log
D-18/C-45, Build-up (ACME A.C. kit)

Hey dude,
I started this thread so that you can follow me with the build up of the D-18/C-45. I have problems emailing so many pictures so I think -as you suggested- it will be easier to add the pictures here. I might still send you updates on the project through emails but we will see how this work. Hope your feeling better.

Marc
Fly_Baby1A is offline Find More Posts by Fly_Baby1A
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:03 AM
Joined Jul 2004
30 Posts
Construction start - Nose built up starts

Hi Dude,

I hope you are feeling better.

I am trying to insert the pictures I had throble emailing you because of our limited email size our network can handle.

I kind of forgot how to put pictures here. I am trying to but I am having difficulties. I am not sure whether I have to "reply to thread" in order to continue adding a new picture or line.

How do I pictures? i don't see any attachement buttons.

Another question, do I have to type a title every time I want to post an update/picture?

I hope it works.

Marc
Last edited by Fly_Baby1A; Aug 26, 2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:57 PM
Joined Jul 2004
30 Posts
Nose Structure - Stringer install

Hi guys,

Work in the nose structure continues. These pictures show the installation of the stringers in the nose area. I really like the fit of the slots in the nose formers; clean and crisp cut by the laser. The 1/16x1/8 balsa stringers fit very well.
The instructions are definately not for the beginner. They are very general in most cases. The manufacturer suggests soaking the stringers in hot water with ammonia in order to bend them without breaking. By choosing balsa sticks with the proper grain and balsa softness - see the picture for method of how I find and select stick hardness/softness - I only gave my sticks a quick rinse of tap water for about 5 seconds. That worked for me for most cases. That method worked but I still had several sticks breaking on the most pronounces curves close to the "corner" of the structure. This is very rewarding but requires a little patience.

After all the required stringers were installed and trim -with 1/8 tang - I applied quick set CA glue. The stringers were then trim flush with the front and back formers and a little sanding. Medium CA glued applied to all the stringer joints afterwards.
Last edited by Fly_Baby1A; Aug 31, 2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:47 PM
Joined Jul 2004
30 Posts
Left Side Fuselage starts...

I started the left side fuselage as instructed. The outline to follow was somewhat confusing. The are various stringers outlined in the plans but only one is right. Study the plans and use the upper stringer outline in plans at the tail section for fuselage outline.

Longerons and front fuse area are made of 1/8x1/8. Vertical and diagonal stick are 1/16x1/8.

Pay attention to the windows orientation.

I found the front wing saddle laser cut parts FS1 and FS2 required trimming to match the plans. I trust the plans more than the laser parts here.

Medium CA used on all these joints.
Old Sep 03, 2009, 11:35 PM
Joined Jul 2004
30 Posts
Fuselage Construction continues...

Work on the fuselage sides continues.

I found out that FS1 -wing saddle frame or former- is about 1/32 too long. I had to trim the front end where it meets the vertical former FS2.

Another problem I found was the slot at the rear of FS1. The slot was 3/32" thick. It will receive the laminate of 3/32 balsa and 1/32 ply, resulting in 1/8 thick wing mounting piece intended for the wing bolt hold down. I had to trim the slot to widen it to 1/8.

Things are begining to grow from the board. Flat structures are begining to take airplane shape. Pretty cool. I like it.
Old Sep 06, 2009, 09:10 AM
Merced,Ca.
Joined Jul 2006
412 Posts
FB1A,
Your moving right along with your build, this is one of the plane's on my building list. Your doing a great job & keep the pic's coming. Will be watching with much interest.
Brad
delsol is offline Find More Posts by delsol
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:00 PM
Joined Jul 2004
30 Posts
Thanks

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the kind words. This is a nice kit that I am enjoying putting together. I hope you find it useful for when you're ready to start yours.

Keep watching and I will keep posting.

Mark
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:38 PM
Joined Jul 2004
30 Posts
Fuselage top formers...

I had PC problems in previous days which almost resulted in loosing the pictures in my folder - - I have to find a better way of storing pictures until I am able to download them here.

Luckily, I was able to find them.

Top formers were properly align with vertical sticks on fuselage. It is important to aling the top formers so check the plans twice or three times to ensure proper alignment; specially the forward formers F8-F10. Check the plans.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:50 PM
Joined Jul 2004
30 Posts
Attaching the nose of fuselage and nose carving...

I attached the nose block to the fuselage. Medium CA was used.

Once glue dried, the fun started. I actually like carving a lot. Using the right wood density/grain and sharp razor blades is fun. There is a lot of carving to do, but that means a lot of fun. Using a shop vac helps keep the wood chips out of the way and in control. Static electricity makes those devil chips stick to oneself all over.

I can not emphasize this enough: Replace the razor blade often at first sign of edge dulling. It is easy to control shape when blade is sharp. The blades them self can still be used to cut wood but not for carving. A slight dullness on the blade causes crunching of wood.

Keep carving. Be patient. Let the blade cut by itself. Don't cut too deep because you will loose uniformity of cut. The profile of the nose is somewhat elliptical or parabollic in shape. Keep that in mind. Don't rush it. Better 3 little cuts than regret of a single big chunk.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:12 AM
Joined Jul 2004
30 Posts
Nose carving continues...

Carving of the nose block was finished. It took lots of carving but it was really fun to see it take shape.

Change the carving blade (I used single edge razor blade) at the first sign of dull blade. Dull blades crunch wood. Do not throw them away. They are still good for general purpose cutting; just not good enough for carving.

Tomorrow, I will be posting the modification I made to the tail wheel assembly section.

My connection (PC) is really slow. It takes about 30 minutes for me to do a posting of 6-8 pictures. I gotta go now. See you tomorrow...
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:38 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,743 Posts
Wow !!! So KOOL !

I wasn't aware that someone kitted the 18. What are the size specs? Does it come with a cargo door option? ( Being an old Skydiver and having several hundred jumps out of them I have a soft spot in my heart for any 18)

How are you going to power it?
Where do you buy this kit?

Sorry for so many question but I'm excited !

Blue Skies.................R Dub
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD