Old Aug 25, 2009, 02:52 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Mini-Review
Airhogs Atom review and Micro Havoc Heli comparison

Intro

The latest heli from airhogs is their second micro sized heli. They call it the "Atom". At about the same size as the Micro Havoc heli, it's one of the world's smallest rc helis. Continue reading for a detailed review of the Atom and a comparison with the similar Micro Havoc Heli.

What's in the box

When you open the box you will find the heli, transmitter, tail prop remover, and three spare tail props. The transmitter that doubles as a charger requires only four AA batteries.

The transmitter

The Atom's transmitter features sticks rather than thumb pads like the Micro Havoc Heli featured. This makes control much easier. The transmitter also works with the Micro Havoc making it much easier to fly. It will charge the Micro Havoc heli too. The Atom can store in the bottom of the transmitter just like the Micro Havoc does with it's transmitter, and can charge while closed in by the polycarbonate door.
The transmitter for the Atom also uses a turn dial for trim instead of push buttons. The weird thing is that it never stops turning! If that isn't weird enough, mine requires about 15 FULL turns clockwise to get in trim! It works though. It's very precise, so you can get it in near perfect trim. Unfortunately, just like the Micro Havoc Heli, it requires constant adjusting throughout the flight as the tail motor heats up.

The heli

The Atom is tiny. In fact, tiny doesn't do it justice! It's just down right small! Nose to tail it's only 4.25in and it's about 3/4in wide at it's widest point. The Micro Havoc Heli is a bit over 4.5in long. The main rotor of the Atom has a diameter of about 3.8in, same as the Micro Havoc. The rotors are not the same though. The hight between the main blades and the stabilizing blades is less on the Atom, making it once again look even smaller than the Micro Havoc. The distance between the tail rotor and the main rotor is actually slightly more on the Atom though.
The Atom is built super tough. It's all high quality, hard as rock plastic except for the tail boom which is carbon fiber. Even the vertical stabilizer hanging off the tail boom is thick hard plastic. The landing gear is really well designed and can take a beating. Much better than the Micro Havoc. The two halves of the canopy are held together by two screws and some tape around the front. It protects the battery and receiver very well. It covers the gearbox too.
The Atom has a neat feature much like the Robo Copter Recon. It has an adjustable cg by sliding the vertical stabilizer along the tail boom (see pictures). It doesn't change flight a whole lot, but you can deffinately make it fly at slightly different speeds by moving it around. That's the other thing. It flies forward MUCH better than the Micro Havoc Heli.

Flight performance

The Atom flies much like the Micro Havoc heli since it uses basically the same guts. It's much more stable and flies forward better though. Takeoff is easy and straight once it's trimmed. Trimming it can be tricky and take a while though. Once trimmed, it flies like a dream. Every now and then you need to readjust the trim though as the motors heat up. It's extremely stable. More than I would expect from such a tiny package. Turning seems more responsive than the Micro Havoc making it easier to control. Because it weighs a bit more than the Micro Havoc due to more plastic instead of foam, it needs a bit more throttle to fly, therefore lowering flight time slightly. It flies for about five minutes. Although it's heavier, it's not short on power. There is still plenty there to climb at a descent rate. When the 40mah lipo dies, it takes about 15-20 minutes to recharge.

Atom vs. Micro Havoc Heli

So which one is better? Opinions may vary, but I can very strongly say the Atom is better. Here's why.

1: The Atom's only $30 instead of $40 like the Micro Havoc is.

2: The Atom is easier to control.

3: The Atom looks really nice, especially with the kind of paint they used on it. I think it looks way cooler than the Micro Havoc.

4: The Atom is much more sturdy and crash resistant. You don't feel like you're going to squish it when you pick it up.

5: The Atom is much more stable.

6: The Atom's transmitter has sticks instead of pads.

Conclusion

Overall, I love the Atom. It has easily become a favorite of mine. I really like how small it is. It blows people's minds when they see me flying it. I think the value is great. Although some of you may think $31.99 is a little steep for such a tiny heli, imagine the engineering that went into it. It's more than worth the money. and when you compare it to the $39.99 Micro Havoc Heli that it's better than, now it really is sounding good. The only thing I can really complain about is the trim. I'm ok with the flight times, but a little more would be nice too. Otherwise I think it's great! I would deffinately recommend it to someone else.

Overall rating: 8/10
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:00 PM
Saves 1, Kills 0, MIA 1
Joined Dec 2006
567 Posts
all4smallrc:

Great review!

I have the Micro Havoc and wasn't especially pleased with it. Sticks on the transmitter is a big bonus. Does the new transmitter work with the Micro Havoc and/or vise-versa?

If I see the Adam around I'll consider picking it up now.

nitebat
nitebat is offline Find More Posts by nitebat
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:05 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Thankyou. And yes, as I said they use pretty much the same electronics and both helis work with the Atom's tx. You can even charge the Micro Havoc Heli with the Atom's tx. Oh, forgot to mention. On my box it says "only at target", so I think the only place you can get it unless you order online is Target.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 09:31 AM
Detroit, MI
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
Purchasing an ATOM micro heli

Hello,
I just bought an ATOM micro heli from Amazon.com When I receive it (in about a week) I'll tell you how I like it. I have no experience with RC heli's.
Roy1795 is offline Find More Posts by Roy1795
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:01 AM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
You will have a lot of fun with it, but I guarantee it will be tricky at first. It might not be the best beginner heli. It is simple and easy to fly, but it is hard to trim and hard to keep in trim. You should be able to figure it out pretty quickly though. Just don't give up.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:51 AM
Detroit, MI
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
Newbee

Thanks for the info.
I have been investigating R/C indoor heli's, and from what I've seen, the Blade mSR is very impressive. Do you think it is possible to start out with the mSR, or should I start w/ something like the MCX?
Thanks for the input. >^..^<
Last edited by Roy1795; Aug 27, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:09 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
I'd say start with the mcx. The msr looks quite fast for a beginner.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:15 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
New ATOM micro heli

Just got my ATOM micro heli. No R/C experience. I can make it scoot accross the floor and I can trim it out, so it stops spinning, but I haven't got it off the ground yet. I am seriously thining of getting a Blade MCX.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:12 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Just launch it from your hand. You'll learn to do ground takeoffs later. The MCX is a great heli. I flew one once and it was the easiest thing I've ever flown. In fact, for me it's too easy. Just gets boring real fast. I like a good challenge.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 05:42 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
New Choppers

Hello All,

Got my ATOM micro heli to fly yesterday. That was fun. Today I bought a MCX. The MCX is a lot mor fun to fly. When I feel brave enough, I'm gonna move to the MSR. I saw them today at my local hobby shop.