Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Discussion
Spectrum dx6i-broken trim switch

hey guys, I have a problem in my spectrum dx6i,

everything is well and swell but my rudder trim switch is kinda messed up

its the black trim switch

when I want to trim more right rudder it all works and I can hear the electronics beeps confirming it trimmed it right

but when I want tot trim more left rudder, I dont hear the beeps and the trim laggs, meaning sometimes works and sometimes doesnt

its annoying

what should I do? Anybody else had this problem?
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2009, 07:52 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,601 Posts
If you would of used the search option it would of given you several threads with this broken trim button issues.
Since you did then all you got to do is go to the bottom of this page a look at the Similar thread box for links to what you are looking for.

Or go straight here for you're fix.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1045631
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Aug 24, 2009, 08:29 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
it seems to want to work but it glitches, so I guess the trim switch didnt break?
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:02 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,601 Posts
The way the trim works is that the plastic piece inside as 2 legs one for right and the other for left. chances are that one is getting bent out of shape, the one thats not working all the time and it will eventualy brake or may not. Either way this CnC parts are a great fix and also look great.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 11:13 AM
Joined Dec 2007
305 Posts
if you only fly electrics, then just swap the rudder trim switch with the throttel since you will never use it.
tubamike78 is online now Find More Posts by tubamike78
Old Sep 09, 2009, 12:04 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubamike78
if you only fly electrics, then just swap the rudder trim switch with the throttel since you will never use it.
LoL, nice advise. I have 2 electric plane and or EDF and both have functional rudder.

There is a video or thread about fixxing the button with some toothpick and epoxy or just go for the upgrade looks of CnC and never worry about breaking any other buttons and you will have ALL the buttons working.

LoL swap with rudder cause you don`t use it on electric. LoL
Old Sep 09, 2009, 12:08 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,838 Posts
I think Horizon has a "free fix" for this ,especially if you have not sent it back for pot replacement yet. Have you?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Sep 09, 2009, 01:23 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2007
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
LoL, nice advise. I have 2 electric plane and or EDF and both have functional rudder.

There is a video or thread about fixxing the button with some toothpick and epoxy or just go for the upgrade looks of CnC and never worry about breaking any other buttons and you will have ALL the buttons working.

LoL swap with rudder cause you don`t use it on electric. LoL
I think that tubamike said to use the trim lever from the throttle to fix the rudder, because you don't use throttle trim with electric planes.
clockworks is offline Find More Posts by clockworks
Old Sep 10, 2009, 05:50 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubamike78
Nope hes said RUDDER. Anyways I think there are other ways of fixing this that are either free or inexpensive and easy to do then to simply swap a broken trim with a not broken trim.

Just found it funny that one would justify this by saying because you fly electric you don't need it.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:31 AM
Joined Dec 2007
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Nope hes said RUDDER.

Just found it funny that one would justify this by saying because you fly electric you don't need it.
if you were to have read the origional post, he states that the RUDDER trim tab is giving him troubles. since electrics do not use the THROTTLE trim tab, which i'm asuming is a functional trim tab since lightspeed only said that the RUDDER tab is giving him troubles, that is why i suggested swaping the non-working RUDDER trim tab with the working THROTTLE trim tab since electrics do not use the THROTTLE trim tab at all.

just find it funny how some people comment without reading the origional question that the post is in response to.

someone mentioned cnc parts, that is not a good idea since they have no play to them, which could cause the button that the tab is pushing againse break which would be much more costly then just a simple broken trim tab.

horizon hobby has great customer service, so you could email them and they will send you a new trim tab for nothing.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:07 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,601 Posts
I did read the first post as I was the first to respond, would be hard to respond without reading anything.
I simply mis-read you're response in swapping rudder with throttle and mis-understood that you ment to say the THROTTLE trim is not use in electric.

And I am also the one who suggested CnC part replacement. The reason for this is that its not the button that is a problem but the little plastic trim tab that push on the button. they are easily broken altough have yet to break one myself.

Horrizon services were never mention to be good or bad. I do believe that if you pay to ship it to them, I think they replace them for free I THINK.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:15 AM
Joined Dec 2007
305 Posts
it's all good. a couple people i fly with tryed the cnc tabs, since the cnc tabs have no play in the rocker part that makes contace with the button on the inside of the radio, which is just a little membrain on a circit board, one of them pushed a little to hard on the tab and it ended up busting the circit board, not sure how much it was to replace it. that is why the plastic trim tabs have a bit of flex to them, to prevent that from happening.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 06:01 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,601 Posts
Makes sense but I have always been thinking that yes they mite be easily borken but how hard R U really pushing.

These things are supposed to be use a couple of time when setting up and then you should have to be using them every single day unless you are buying new plane every time.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 03:02 PM
Sacramento Ca
Joined Dec 2008
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Makes sense but I have always been thinking that yes they mite be easily borken but how hard R U really pushing.

These things are supposed to be use a couple of time when setting up and then you should have to be using them every single day unless you are buying new plane every time.

I had a trim switch break yesterday and had heard of these CNC replacements but it is just not practicle to use them for this purpose expence wise. Here is an easy and free permanent fix (please note the PC board momentary switches then become the weak link) . Even slight pressure will break these plastic rocker tabs, ths will eliminate the problem there. While you can still damage the momentary switch it is unlikely unless you are an sh*t fit ape. However these switches are available at any electronics supply.

To do this repair remove the trim switch PC board as a standard procedure and carefully spread the rocker case at the axle to remove the rocker ( I used my ball link pliers to do this) be gentile and don't spread too much. Make the repair as per image instructions and replace the roker in the rocker housing. You can use two round tooth picks to guide the rocker back into the housing which will spread the housing automatically while inserting the rocker back into place. Replace the unit back into its place (making sure it is upside right, keyed pins must match PC board). Once in place you may use a round tooth pick to keep holes aligned while replacing screws. Voila
Rotorjim is offline Find More Posts by Rotorjim