HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by deckert, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 01:42 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,603 Posts
Discussion
A 1st foamie from a balsa flyer

I have no idea why in the world I decided to do a foamie build but here I am. I don't even know what kind of foam the kit is. I searched around and posted here @ RCG for advice. I just wanted a foamie that could use my Hacker 20-20 and my TP 1320's that were out of service. Along came Lee Ulinger with his kit in the manner of something named a LUM SF 1. There were a few responses offered by RCG members that were very very close in the running. After weighing in all the factors, Lee's kit best fit the bill for what I had in hand. http://leeulingermodels.com/Details....=61&category=2

A couple of e-mails back and forth and the kit was on it's way. I paid on a Tuesday & the package arrived on Saturday via USPS. I didn't like the selection of options available on his web site so I just chose the basic kit. The buy options need to be expanded in my opinion. I believe the options/pricing can be changed via contacting Lee but I'm asking why can't I order what I want.

Thank heaven I watched Lee's build vids for this bird, otherwise I'd still be wondering WTH because I darn sure don't like his 'one size fits all' .pdf cd that came with the bird.

None-the-less, I'm really happy at this juncture as all is built and rock solid. I just need to install the electronics. The bird is pretty in a sort of ugly way.

Plus on the build.
The online videos are worth a million dollars.

Negative on the build.
No paper manual.
The pdf cd is, IMHO, an absolute waste. It's NOT compatible with Windows Vista for some stupid reason. The CD manual NEEDS to show the build of the kit and NOT just a general build.

I'm darn sure happy at this juncture. It's to bad I dummied up and installed the bottom SF generators on the wrong sides though. I'm quite impressed by the graphics, they're very well done. I would have to say this, a first time builder would probably have a HARD time understanding the pdf directions that accompany the plane. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2009, 04:56 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
All those bad feelings go away once you've got the plane trimmed out. My "home field" is, essentially, in Lee's back yard, and he's shot a number of his videos there. I've talked with a number of the guys that have his planes, and asked if they get a deal by ordering directly from him at the field. The answer was unanimous. "We don't get any special deals from Lee. we buy his planes because they fly really well. even after you've crashed it a dozen times, and added an ounce or two worth of CA(from fixing the crashes), the planes fly really well." The person that told me that has his "original" SF1, with TONS of CA and tape on it, for slightly breezy-er days. The added weight help stabilize the plane a bit, but it doesn't fly as "crisp" as a new one. (IDK exactly what that means, I'm still learning the ropes with a E-Starter) He just put up his 3rd SF1, that he "says" he's going to take care of. I would guess that, on average, there is a LUM flying at my field 6 out of 7 days a week. I've got a LUM Pocketknife sitting in the garage. I'm just waiting on my radio gear to arrive.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Sep 15, 2009, 01:28 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,603 Posts
I've got a bunch more packs run thru the SF and enjoy the dickens out of it. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Sure glad Lee seen my post looking for a foamy. No damage yet

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert