HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2009, 07:53 PM
inverted down is up, up is
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
Discussion
in the process of building

i am pretty new to all, this, i bought a luckystar 40 arf, although it is less arf and more a kit with a few bits done for you, i have brushed off my dads all asp 40 engine, which is running fine, and his sanwa computer ocntroller thing, the engine started first time with the prop turner thing, and now starts with just a finger pull and picks up perfect, after 20 years sat there on a shelf, the radio gear however, i have had less luck, it doesnt seem to work, both r on, but it just randomly twitches the servos, or does nothing, can anyone help me on that?

also is it wise to convert it to rubberbands instead of bolts as a trainer like i have done because i dont want to snap the wing etc?
kieran3008 is offline Find More Posts by kieran3008
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:11 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,248 Posts
What model of "sanwa computer ocntroller thing" is it ? And what receiver do you have in the plane ? If it's really 20 years old then as a minimum you need new batteries for both. You also need to check that both transmitter and receiver have the correct crystals, both on the same channel.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 24, 2009, 04:24 AM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
i will find out today, the batteries r good, the contoller still had a small amount of charge in it, when it came out of the shed, it charges to full, just only lasts about an hour, i have a 4aa battery pack on it, which should be giving off the same as the normal battery?

crystals are the same
Old Aug 24, 2009, 09:47 AM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
i cant find any model number or type it

git the fueltank and engine intoday all the linkages are in etc, so its almost their, i just need to get this radio working
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:06 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,248 Posts
I've never seen a Sanwa transmitter without both a name and a label with type number on it. And the receiver should definitely have a model number on it. Difficult to help much without knowing what we're talking about.

Transmitter has to have the correct modulation set (PPM, PPM-, PCM etc) to match the receiver...whatever that is .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:20 PM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
i have taken all the kit straight out of my dads old plane, it did fly, last time he used it, nothing has changed, batteries are good etc
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:20 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Just get a newer 4 channel basic radio and reciever off of here or ebay for like $25. It would be cheaper than replacing the batteries in your old transmitter.
bwalt822 is offline Find More Posts by bwalt822
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:39 PM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
i have decided on the airtronics somin 8000 2.4ghz? is this any good its on hobby people
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:51 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Sanwa = Airtronics.
Some were labeled COX long ago...

Hard to say what is going on from the description. Could be a failed TX or failed RX or stuff plugged in wrong...

Note that old Airtronics used a strange looking plug with 3 alignment lugs on one side. Use of a modern 3 wire servo can burn up the RX, battery and servo if the wire order is not changed.
I doubt thats your problem though... because that invariably melts insulation off the wires between the RX and servo. (and then between the RX and battery... and then the battery burns)
Sanwa labeled in the US would be OLD... 20 yr old where you are, you WILL have this wiring issue trying new servos with the old RX OR trying to use the old servos with a new RX.

The RDS8000 has a mixed reputation. There have been a few (on the nature of 3 or 4) reported to simply quit working with no warning.

There aren't a LOT of people admitting to owning them....

As long as they work they are a good deal. If you are unlucky and get one of the bad ones (apparantly rare) you will be likely to lose a model when you find out.

NEVER NEVER NEVER

Never fly with 20 yr old batteries in the TX and RX.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:01 PM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
i havent flown it obviously i was just using them to see if the radio kit worked, both the tx and rx are blown

this kit comes with a reciever and switch, transmitter battery etc, i will get a high power 3300 mah battery for the controls, and i am going to get 4 new standard 6kg servos

wot is 3 and 4?,

i will be getting the mode 2 one

or and this is just a thought i save and get the futaba 6ch thing for 302 us dollars? that comes with servos?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Quote:
it charges to full, just only lasts about an hour, i have a 4aa battery pack on it, which should be giving off the same as the normal battery?
Duff cells will usually "spike" to indicate a good output, but what they won't do is hold that charge.

My advice, for what its worth, is to junk the lot and start again, there's no massive need to go for 2.4GHz, what I'd recommend is a simple 35MHz set.

Hitec Laser 6 is a basic 6Ch set, which comes with 4 servos, receiver, Nicads, Charger, Switch harness etc for the stately price of 99 from SMC

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=717

That set should be more than enough to get you moving. Yes, you might want to upgrade at a later date, but for now, the main thing is to get some decent reliable gear.

Also, and I don't mean this as a criticism, I would suggest getting yourself to a club, and starting from scratch by finding out as much as you can about the hobby. From the sounds of it, you are a fairly raw beginner, and as such, there is no substitute for some guidance from someone you can talk to and show things to face to face.

The problem with forums, as good as they are, is that we can only go by what we are told, and sometimes things get misinterpreted. Its a lot easier and more productive to have someone SHOW you something, than someone trying to explain it across the internet.
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:15 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran3008
i havent flown it obviously i was just using them to see if the radio kit worked, both the tx and rx are blown

this kit comes with a reciever and switch, transmitter battery etc, i will get a high power 3300 mah battery for the controls, and i am going to get 4 new standard 6kg servos

wot is 3 and 4?,

i will be getting the mode 2 one

or and this is just a thought i save and get the futaba 6ch thing for 302 us dollars? that comes with servos?
Your 20 year old servos I EXPECT to have the old Airtronics/Sanwa wire order.
+, -, signal.

Modern servo wire order is -, +, signal.

Be certain you do not mix these orders...

With a little knowledge you can change the wire order to make the new work with the old... there used to be servo adapter cables you could buy to make it "idiot proorf" but people managed to burn up equipment using those...

Re your "wot is 3 and 4"
If you mean TX "stick mode"

Mode 1 = Throttle + aileron on the right
Mode 2 = Elevator + aileron on the right
Mode 3 = Elevator + aileron on the left (mode 2 for lefties)
Mode 4 = Throttle + aileron on the left. (mode 1 for lefties)

if you mean channel order...

Airtronics uses throttle, elevator, aileron, rudder
JR uses throttle , aileron, elevator, rudder
Futaba uses Aileron, elevator, throttle rudder.

(just plug the servos in where the correct stick moves the correct control surface... )

If you are referring to my noting that a few TXs have failed. I have read about 3 or 4 transmtters failing... Thats not many. But I haven't read about a lot of people owning the type transmitter that failed... (the RDS8000 )

3 or 4 failures out of 100,000 is no big deal. Every maker has a few that fail.
3 or 4 failures out of 100 (as new as the RDS8000 is ) would be something to worry about.
I don't know how many are out there...
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:17 PM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
i have an adult friend with about 30 years flying experiance who says when i have it built and set up he will buddy fly it with me, however he cant help me build it as he has his own to build, i am pretty novice, but a capable flyer on what i have at the moment, as for a club myself, instead i am covered in my uncles insuranceo n his proper grass airstrip close to my dad, which is where i will do the majority of my flying
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:18 PM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
also, for the sake of a few quid, is it not better to get the 2.4 with 10 model memory all the digital trims etc which i can then just get another reciever for in each model i get?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:21 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran3008
also, for the sake of a few quid, is it not better to get the 2.4 with 10 model memory all the digital trims etc which i can then just get another reciever for in each model i get?
if you know you are going to stick with the hobby...

Get the best transmitter you can afford.