HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2009, 07:52 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
ok ... I just maidened the zephyr. first things first, I'll need to wait for spare parts so no videos of it anytime soon. I ended up having the CG a bit back which then caused it to tip-stall and crash into the ground. No idea how, but one servo is history (MG servo with one plastic wheel ... guess which is gone )

Anyways ... the motorization and equipment on it is the same as on the Maxi Swift. However, the Zephyr catapults it all into a different ballpark. It flies really nice and slow (careful, stall! ) but once you apply elevator down ... this is when the fun begins. The speed range has at least doubled ... the turns are 3 if not 4 times as fast. Second flight I was flying with 70% expo, which seemed to make it a bit more comfortable to fly, but on the first takeoff I almost filled my pants

The build I did was really sub-standard. I got very impatient the last 2 days and just hurried my way through the steps. The wing is bent on one side because I didn't let the riteweave dry properly before applying the coat ... and it ended up a bit on the heavy side. Zephyr doesn't care, it still flies great

To sum it up ... the build and the flight characteristics are not for beginners. You need to know basic building techniques and capable of handling r/c planes before you get the Zephyr. That said, this thing is my new favorite FPV platform. Energy retention, speed range, maneuverability, transportability - the Zephyr has exceeded my expectations on each. Well done klique!

Here's some pics from the final steps of the build:
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Last edited by trappy; Sep 28, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:08 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Trappy, sounds like your Zephyr is proving a very fast (and quite steep) learning curve!
At least you have the previous experience with these Wings to overcome these initial issues, rectify them, and come back with a super effective FPV machine!

One question, will there be any negative effects if you have to run +/- 'power' leads from your Flight Lipo (located near the centre of the Wing), then the cable is fed right to a wingtip to power electronics? Will it cause interference/any other issues?

I ask this as I know Wings are very sensitive to CoG, and a flight battery is pretty heavy, so would need to be as close to centre as possible!
jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:17 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Jetstreaming: COG is the most important part. I had it wrong and that's why I crashed. The Zephyr flies great, it's just my building that sucks Also the crash did not harm the wing, it just tore my MG servo apart because I had it connected far too direct. The wing just dug a hole in the ground, no visible damage at all

The package from HobbyKing with new servos is already on its way, I hope it arrives on FRI so I can tear up the mountains over the weekend.

The only electronics on the wingtips should be your VTx. And I suggest to use shielded wire to power it so it will not cause any problems. I use thin networking cable with 4 wires and one shielded ground.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:14 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,838 Posts
Sweet! Im glad she's flying for you. whats your all up weight so far?
where did you end up balancing at?
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:12 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
The CG was around 11" which is too far back. AUW is exactly 1.6kg. A little on the heavy side ... but the motor can handle a vertical climb so I'm all right with it CG now is around 10" - 10 1/4". Should fly better.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:15 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
The CG was around 11" which is too far back. AUW is exactly 1.6kg. A little on the heavy side ... but the motor can handle a vertical climb so I'm all right with it CG now is around 10" - 10 1/4". Should fly better.
Definately will fly better. Make sure to do a nice long approach, Ive found the zephyr takes half a football field to bleed off speed if I come in even moderately hot on landing.
This is my first wing so Im loving the challenge of flying it. making quality landings is the most fun IMO.

Heres an idea that I did.
The coro wingtips will fill with grass and dirt after a few landings. I put one line of tape over the openings in the edges of the coro on the bottom. That keeps the dirt from packing in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:20 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
webdr: thanks mine are actually already pretty stuffed ... and I only did 2 landings. I'll fill up one side with epoxy and cover the other with tape (good weight balance )

The wing indeed is a challenge to land ... it glides forever and energy retention is just amazing. A couple of my usual flying spots will need to be reconsidered since I won't be able to land it. Wish I had some flaps I might actually add an airbrake later on.

I'm still a little scared with the plastic winglets ... they are the first thing to touch the ground ... have you ever landed in concrete or rocky places? I fear they may give in under pressure. Just a "non-validated" concern for now, though ...
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:08 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,838 Posts
Quote:
webdr: thanks mine are actually already pretty stuffed ... and I only did 2 landings. I'll fill up one side with epoxy and cover the other with tape (good weight balance )

The wing indeed is a challenge to land ... it glides forever and energy retention is just amazing. A couple of my usual flying spots will need to be reconsidered since I won't be able to land it. Wish I had some flaps I might actually add an airbrake later on.

I'm still a little scared with the plastic winglets ... they are the first thing to touch the ground ... have you ever landed in concrete or rocky places? I fear they may give in under pressure. Just a "non-validated" concern for now, though ...
Did you use Goop to attach them? That glue is the best for the winglets. Its flexable and strong as anything Ive used.
Yes, I came in too hot on my 4th or 5th flight and hit a curb on the street. No damage done. I actually stepped on a winglet at my house
It bent the coro but didnt tear off. I am confident that they wont come off since I used the goop to attach them.

On landing. I go way out and come in shallow for landing. if you work at it you can put in down within 15 to 20 feet of your projected landing area... but it only takes one hot landing to drop your confidence
One of my video landings show me touching down at almost 40mph!LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:12 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
I'm using epoxy ... probably stronger than goop but more "fragile". As long as they don't come off in mid air it's fine, I guess. Stepping over planes ... hehehe ... there's a saying in our club: most damage occurs between your home and your airfield
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:16 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Quote:
I'm using epoxy ... probably stronger than goop but more "fragile". As long as they don't come off in mid air it's fine, I guess. Stepping over planes ... hehehe ... there's a saying in our club: most damage occurs between your home and your airfield
Agree - I had a friend pull his car up alongside mine, when he arrived in the carpark. What he didnt realise he had just reversed onto the wing of my plane, and he just got out! lol ....he then had to drive forwards a bit to "get off" it again! lol.

It was a Parkzone SuperCub, and it flew perfectly right after, no damage done! If it was a different plane made out of Balsa etc, or even an FPV plane loaded with gear, Im sure i wouldnt have been quite as relaxed about it!
jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,385 Posts
Trappy, i used two m3 plastic bolts on the wing tips of my Ritewing lightning, just a bit more insurance i suppose, not come off to date
bignose13 is online now Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Sep 30, 2009, 06:04 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
bignose: nice idea ... I might try that on the other side to counter-balance the added weight of the vtx. I hate adding weight, so making it stronger on one side seems like a good trade-off
Old Oct 05, 2009, 02:35 PM
The Netherlands, UT, Amersfoort
Joined Aug 2004
104 Posts
Hi Trappy,

You are happy with your Zephyr, but from what you write, the Ritewing seems somewhat "nervous" compared to the Swift maxi.

Can you tell me more precise why you like the Zephire so much more compared to your old Swift for flying FPV?

I understand you did not fly the Zephyr FPV yet, but you know what FPV is about and you are one of the few flying both Swift and Zephyr.

Thanks,
Rienk
flymetothemoon is offline Find More Posts by flymetothemoon
Old Oct 05, 2009, 02:49 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Rienk, I flew the Zephyr FPV today and yesterday. It's awesome. The "downside" of the Zephyr is actually that it's so good You can calm it down like the Swift with some careful programming and limiting of elevon travel, but you can't slow it down on approach without adding flaps. It glides forever and flies pretty fast (because it has so little drag) so you need a lot of space to fly it. I liked that you could take the Swift to a crowded beach and land it right through people. The Zephyr can only do like that with flaps, I suppose.

Hope this helps. Some movies coming soon.
Old Oct 05, 2009, 03:53 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Trappy I bet if you kicked out the last 2'' off the winglets like airbreaks with a servo it would slow nice for landing.I think just one mini servo and some golden rod out to the winglets would make a great air break setup.
It should add some nice slow speed stability too.

So would some butterfly flaps like webdr had, he took them of and said he slows it fine for what he needs..

It also depends on your wingloading ,if its heavier it will retain tons of energy.

The zeph just glides forever so it is real efficient in flight.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique