HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:26 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
It should be no prob trap with a little fine tuning,I usually set up 2 flite modes , one for slow flying witha tad of reflex, and one for railing thats trimed to track strait at high speeds.
Thats whats nice about having flite modes .
You can fly fast then when I slow down I just flip the switch for a tad of up trim and its awesome.

ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
I need this baby to stay in a dive, no rising at speeds or stuff like that. It needs to stay where I point it, so I guess a bit nose-heavy is the way to go.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:31 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
It should be no prob trap with a little fine tuning,I usually set up 2 flite modes , one for slow flying witha tad of reflex, and one for railing thats trimed to track strait at high speeds.
You can fly fast then when I slow down I just flip the switch for a tad of up trim and its awesome.

ck
exactly what I'm aiming for. thanks for the advice. won't need the flight modes ... never really understood what those are for. I can pull the elevator myself on the landing but the idea is to have a plane that tracks straight wherever I point it and on the landing I just get her low and then wear off the speed until she stalls out and "lands".
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:32 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique

ck
thats my permanent flight setup: a little reflex for slow pokin' around

As you can see in the video, she doesnt really yaw about that much
2nd fpv flight (3 min 41 sec)
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:46 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Nice project Trappy. Referring to your Wing with the Video Tx 'embedded' into the end of the Wing. Will this affect cooling to the Video Tx? Also, would you still be fitting Wingtips at the sides?

Locating a Video Tx onto a Flying Wing is quite a tricky process I suppose, as you only have a flat wing to work with, and no nice little canopy sections to glue things to (vertically), like you would on say an EasyStar!

Look forward to further updates.....
jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:52 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
jetstreaming: The wingtips will still be mounted, but the area where the cooling section of the tx currently sticks out will be cut out from the wingtips. So the heatsink will still be exposed to moving air. It will not have any effect on the cooling.

Wings are pretty good for placing the gear in my opinion. Yes you can't attach them properly but once you find a good place you can space things out well enough to get excellent range as opposed to an EasyStar where the tx in most installation is jammed behind the camera where it will interfere with your picture quality, pan servos and not get full range because of the reflective material right in front of it.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 02:01 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Interesting, will like to see the finished wing once the Tips have been added (around the Video Tx). And the heat it generates wont affect the foam around it?

Sweet project. ...The King of FPV Flying Wings!
Old Sep 25, 2009, 02:06 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
jetstreaming: The tx comes down very cool (30deg C) if you don't leave it just standing there on the workbench. I don't think it will have any effect on the foam around it.

Thanks I don't think I'm the king of flying wings ... that's Gabriel ... at least for now, wait till you see my first urban Ritewing video
Old Sep 25, 2009, 02:08 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,186 Posts
Heres how mine is mounted in the wingtip
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2009, 06:07 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
Mine came in yesterday. I hope I can come close to doing as good a job as you guys assembling it.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Sep 25, 2009, 06:24 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72
Mine came in yesterday. I hope I can come close to doing as good a job as you guys assembling it.
Yep, youll do fine. It was my 1st wing as well.

1. glass it light. If its hot outside, be prepared to work fast as the 3M will get sticky real quick
2. go sparingly on the gorilla glue when squirting it down the holes for the spars
3. Cut your bays and install servos as far forward as possible..seriously
4. weigh all your components as you add them and after each major assembly step (glassing, covering, electronics). Shoot for an AUW of 60oz or less for best glide and performance.
5. balance at 10-10.5" back from the nose
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2009, 06:26 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Yeah .. it's not my first wing, but I've been told (by my R/C buddies) that the person that builds worse than me still has to be born
Old Sep 26, 2009, 06:51 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr
Heres how mine is mounted in the wingtip
Looks good webdr

Is the trailing edge of the wing to the left, where it tapers off?
If so, if the Wing lands flat on the ground is there a risk the antenna sticking past the end could dig into the ground and get ruined?

On mounting the Video Tx onto the wing, I had thought of gluing a small block of foam ontop of the wing somewhere, curved at the front 45 degrees for aerodynamics. Then the Video Tx is glued to the back of the block, sitting vertically. Might ruin the sleek Wing profile, but would have the Video Tx out of any danger ontop of the Wing, also with no obstructions behind it that could affect reception.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 08:16 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
jetstreaming: See the way I have installed it ... I had the same concerns as you.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:45 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstreaming
Looks good webdr

Is the trailing edge of the wing to the left, where it tapers off?
If so, if the Wing lands flat on the ground is there a risk the antenna sticking past the end could dig into the ground and get ruined?

On mounting the Video Tx onto the wing, I had thought of gluing a small block of foam ontop of the wing somewhere, curved at the front 45 degrees for aerodynamics. Then the Video Tx is glued to the back of the block, sitting vertically. Might ruin the sleek Wing profile, but would have the Video Tx out of any danger ontop of the Wing, also with no obstructions behind it that could affect reception.
Ive got about 15+ landings, no problems as of yet. If you lay the wing on the ground with the wingtips attached, youll find out that the nose touches the ground before the leading edge at the tips does.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2009, 08:19 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr
Ive got about 15+ landings, no problems as of yet. If you lay the wing on the ground with the wingtips attached, youll find out that the nose touches the ground before the leading edge at the tips does.
Sounds good. Any Vids of your build/Wing flying?

I've just ordered a 50" Wing and plan to mount the Video Tx at the side also. As far away as possible from all the other 'critical' electrical components, that will then be mounted all the way near the end of the opposite wing!

...if I continue to experience glitching (as I did with my doomed 1st FPV model, my EasyStar), I might resort to crossword puzzles instead!