SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 24, 2001, 12:41 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2000
292 Posts
After three years, I'm an AMA member!

I haven't had any close calls, near misses, crashes or lost planes, I figured my luck would run out at some point and it doesn't cost that much to join.

You watch, I'll wipe out my fleet by the end of the month.

Wayne
CAWayne is offline Find More Posts by CAWayne
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2001, 10:03 AM
St. Paul, MN
Joined Feb 2001
337 Posts
I am a member, too. Last summer I saw some club guys flying at an air show (which I originally attended to see the full size war birds) and just had to get involved. I joined the AMA and their club and got trained by one of their instructors on my glow .40 trainer. Then I got a zagi and a Lite Stick and haven't been back to the club or my glow trainer since. Even though I have let my club membership lapse I do believe in being part of the AMA, both for the liability insurance and, more importantly, for the work they do to encourage the sport's growth.

Chad
towlebooth is offline Find More Posts by towlebooth
Old Apr 24, 2001, 02:33 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2000
1,314 Posts
Glad to see you insured. I made that decision back in January and I had an accident in February.

For $48, it's the cheapest insurance you can find that will insure you up to two millions!!!
rcdude is offline Find More Posts by rcdude
Old Apr 24, 2001, 04:04 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hello Is the insurance only good at say an AMA flying field or event? What I mean is if I'm flying in my backyard and my plane hits a car or person, am I covered? Thanks
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Apr 24, 2001, 04:34 PM
Houston,TX
Joined Mar 2000
1,217 Posts
You don't need to be at a AMA field or event, but you do need to follow the safety code.

This means flying too close to a known field without frequency control, launching projecticles and pyrotechnics from your aircraft and other less than safe activities aren't covered.
ScottS is offline Find More Posts by ScottS
Old Apr 24, 2001, 10:57 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,283 Posts
Bleriot
In most states your homeowners insurance is the primary coverage. AMA insurance is secondary coverage.
Why is it necessary to have AMA if you already have homeowners?
Your AMA card is proof positive that you are insured. It is possible that a less than honest person may claim to have coverage when indeed there is none and then flies his 40 powered Whiz Bang into your backside. You are then between a rock and hard place if that person refuses or cannot pay for your injury. A long drawnout law suit is your only recourse.
If he is an AMA member you will be covered one way or another.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Apr 25, 2001, 12:12 AM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
I flew R/C for about 10 years before I finally joined the AMA. I only joined so I could fly at events.

Mark Wolf is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Apr 25, 2001, 12:16 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Aug 1999
1,296 Posts
It's about time.
Gene is offline Find More Posts by Gene
Old Apr 25, 2001, 12:24 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,523 Posts
I have been an AMA member since I started 6 years ago. I let it slip this year. I just renewed (online) about 5 minutes ago. I fly at home and at a local feild, but haven't been out to the club lately, but there are several events coming up where I want to be able to fly. And incase I ever have a problem.

Last year at our clubs fly in I was flying my 4*40 (slimer) on its second flight ever and had a radio failure, went behind the trees at the end of the runway, and hit a truck. (well hit a tree, and the wreckage hit a truck.) Luckily I had AMA, even though there was no damage, and no report was filed. And the club president wasn't mad. He was happy that my landing plane didn't plow into a bunch of spectators also near the end of the runway.

AMA is good
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2006, 04:27 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,088 Posts
Good for you guys. It makes good sense to be an AMA member. Too many reasons why to list in one thread.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Sep 20, 2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 06:34 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,056 Posts
I am a AMA member and have been since I started flying. Here are a few things I dont like about them. 1. They dont cover yourself , family or your own personal property in a crash.2 They are secondary To your own home owners insurance, so if someone doesnt own a home and have homeowners insurance they are covered, but if you do have homeowners insurance , your HO insurance covers it and your rates go up. So the guy with out HO insurance actually has a better deal. Am I correct on this?
Dragon 2 is offline Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:15 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,283 Posts
Dragon2
Your medical coverage may have a deductable that you are responsible for should you have a claim. That may be covered by your AMA coverage. As to your rates increasing should you have a claim---well not necessarily so. It depends on the company and the claim.

What is necessary is you making sure your HO insurance covers aviation and model aviation in particular. It may not. Be certain not sorry

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Dec 24, 2006, 08:33 AM
big-john-52
Tyler Texas
Joined Feb 2005
376 Posts
do you guys know that murocflyer went way back to Apr 2001 to dig up

this thread. look at the date on the post right above his, crap you must be living in

the past... lol...any thing to put a good light on the AMA right murocflyer.
big-john-52 is offline Find More Posts by big-john-52
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:17 AM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-john-52
do you guys know that murocflyer went way back to Apr 2001 to dig up

this thread. look at the date on the post right above his, crap you must be living in

the past... lol...any thing to put a good light on the AMA right murocflyer.

And just what is wrong with bumping an older post? Personally, I like the AMA and am proud to be a member, obviously you don't so why do you bother reading about it? No one has twisted your arm to read these posts.

Jerry
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:34 AM
big-john-52
Tyler Texas
Joined Feb 2005
376 Posts
Im (Sorry).

Im glad you like the AMA and please have a good life.

John
big-john-52 is offline Find More Posts by big-john-52