SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Sofa King, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:47 PM
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
Discussion
Great Flyin Day!!!!

i flew the four star 120 i picked up from new1200 .....i used a ASP 1.08 and a 16x8 prop......added a couple clicks of trim....and WOW!!!! my new favorite plane!!!!! thanks again new1200

the spad is a kit from spadfyer.com....$54 shipped.....i added some old crappy servos .... a very broke in OS 46 and a 11x6 prop.........its a quick building kit and it flies great....i like being able to just chuck in it the truck and not worry about a hole in the monokote.......

the rutan got its new colors on since its last repair.....looks better i think...but the design on the front wing....well....its a piece of crap.....it snapped on me again.......i think this time i will add a layer of fiberglass to the bottom of the front wing.......it flies great when its up in the air...but anything slightly off from a perfect landing and its in need of repair.

i ran out of time before i could fly the bipe....i picked it up from neoplanes as a second....it was missing the cowl (thats why it was a second)...but i turned it into a nitro plane OS 15 and 8x6 prop........feels like way too much power....i dont believe i just said that.......anyway...i'll post more on it as soon as i can get around to flying it.....

theres a pic of our runway and wind sock....the weather was perfect....light 2-5mph breeze.....wish they were all like that....
Sofa King is offline Find More Posts by Sofa King
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:42 PM
United States, MO, Cape Girardeau
Joined May 2008
76 Posts
Glad to hear from you.

I got my new used plane up and going this week also, will get some photos sent to you. I am glad the plane worked for you, happy flying.
new1200 is offline Find More Posts by new1200
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:21 AM
Joined Dec 2006
462 Posts
About that OS 60 modified to run in reverse rotation.....is it just me or do you have the tractor prop on backwards? If it is a tractor prop, you would want the face of the prop hub against the drive hub of the engine. If that were the case, you'd also have to cut your spinner opposite of the norm. It appears that you are using a regular spinner....

I've got a Richmodel Quickie 40 in my fleet, and have broken the canard no less than 3 times in the first 6 flights. I feel your pain! Do a search for an aircraft called a "Dragonfly"---basically a Quickie with center mounted gear instead of on the wingtips. Next time I break mine that is how I plan to modify it.

Rube
Rube Goldberg is offline Find More Posts by Rube Goldberg
Old Aug 27, 2009, 06:57 AM
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
Rube....

...........the engine is an OS H-Max.....there is a front housing with 4 bolts...when this housing is rotated 90 degrees....this changes the timing close enough to run the engine clockwise (reversed)....flip the prop around to face the front of the plane(tractor).....the spinner just worked with no mods......

thanks for the info on the dragonfly i will look into it....i love the plane but i dont love it enough to repair every other landing.....the dragonfly mod may be an option.

if you need any pictures or more info...just let me know.

thanks
Sofa King is offline Find More Posts by Sofa King
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:24 PM
Joined Dec 2006
462 Posts
I understand the concept of rotating the intake 90 degrees to make a reverse rotatiion engine; I've done the same thing with a K&B 40 in the past.

And now that I physically put a tractor prop and generic spinner in my hand I see that in fact it will work.....what threw me off was in order to use a pusher prop on my Long-EZ with a SuperTigre GS45 I had to cut out the spinner!

Rube
Rube Goldberg is offline Find More Posts by Rube Goldberg