HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:50 AM
Joined Oct 2007
9 Posts
Discussion
42" Slick vs. Addiction?...

Having not seen both, what are the pros/cons and differences? I can't decide which one to get next!
Complaner is offline Find More Posts by Complaner
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:50 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
That is a loaded question! OK...what is your skill level and what are you looking for? I have flown and owned both...totally different styles.
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:00 PM
Joined Oct 2007
9 Posts
Yes, looking for a description of the different styles of these planes.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:21 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaner
Yes, looking for a description of the different styles of these planes.
1. Addiction (depending on skill level) very floaty and easy to fly. Hovers and harriers very easy. Loops are tighter than anything I have flown but really doesn't have the weight or authority to pull off tight waterfalls or tumbles. Fun plane but does have a limit...I got bored flying it FWIW. Will not fly pattern very well.

2. Slicks (again depending on your skill level) Not as floaty but still has a light feel in the air. Hovers and harriers are easy with no wing rock. Solid feel in hover and one of the best planes IMO to learn clean harriers both upright and inverted. Amazing tumbling plane...waterfalls are insane and the 42" Slick tumbles like its 51" brother. No bad habits and really fun to fly. I prefer the Slick...wider range of speed and can fly both 3-D and pattern.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:32 PM
Joined Nov 2008
52 Posts
My two favorite planes. I think the Addiction is easier to fly. It can go soo slow and is much easier to land. Nothing but fun really. The Slick needs more room to fly and land but still slows down well. Does the most rediculous tumbles I've ever seen. Harder to land without breaking the gear though(I've broken 2 sets in a month while the Addy's have lasted a year). Granted, I'm a terrible pilot that can hardly land a plane but the Addiction manages to survive!
forshagesan is offline Find More Posts by forshagesan
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:32 PM
Joined Oct 2007
9 Posts
That is the perfect explanation. Thanks so much. I like both 3D and pattern, and still love to just do touch n goes!
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:46 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
The gear holds up just fine! Just have to be careful where you land...long grass will not be the best idea!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:58 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
I replaced mine with metal. Has held up great.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Aug 23, 2009, 02:00 PM
Howey-in-the-Hills, Fl.
Joined Jul 2007
313 Posts
I own both the Addiction and the Slick. I have flown the Addiction for over one year and the 42" Slick being new, just a few weeks.

The Addiction has a thicker airfoil and is more floaty in my opinion. The Slick has a thinner and less wing area than the Addiction.

I have been told and feel it is correct to say that the Slick flies more like a larger, 3D aircraft than a small electric.

Which one do I like? It depends on my mood. Both are very nice flying aircraft. I feel each serves it own purpose.

I think a good way to approach each airplane is to go to the P.A. and 3DHS Site. Take a look at the videos. Daniel & Hercdriver with the Addiction and A.J. and the crew with the Slick. I feel these videos bring out the best in each ship.
Ekir is offline Find More Posts by Ekir
Old Aug 23, 2009, 02:01 PM
Joined Nov 2008
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28
I replaced mine with metal. Has held up great.
Cool. Were you able to buy them or did you have to make them?
forshagesan is offline Find More Posts by forshagesan
Old Aug 23, 2009, 03:30 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
I have over 60 flights on my Addiction with no LG problems apart from the tailwheel which is the weak link. All you read about it flying so slowly is true and means you can just bring it in nose high with such little forward speed that there is hardly any roll out. Or, you can do touch'n'goes as long as you keep the speed up and the tailwheel off the ground. I have heard people say the Addiction is the perfect transition 3D plane from foam to balsa. Easy to fly and makes you look pretty good. It does really flat blenders. I don't like the way it rolls though- not nice and clean but more like a corkscrew motion. I haven't flown the slick but if it's anything like the other 3DHS products then it will be a great flyer.

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:17 PM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,191 Posts
I have to agree with Bighead 100%. Addiction was my foamie to balsa transition plane. GREAT 3D trainer. But got bored and wanted to stretch my skills. Today I fly the 42" Slick and love it. It is a real versatile plane without the limitations the Addiction has. It boils down to your ability and what your looking for. They are both great planes.
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:01 AM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
What I've found is that I really want both of these types of planes in my fleet. Mostly I'm leaning towards flying planes like the Slick these days, but it's nice pulling out something like the Addiction from time to time.

The Slick is one slick plane....sorry, just had to

Q
Quicker is offline Find More Posts by Quicker