Joined Mar 2003
18 Posts
Power supply for triton charger help

Tag on my power supply:
12v = 13A
5v = 25A
3.2v = 16A
Here is my question:
I know that I need a light or a resistor to make an ATX supply kick on, but am not sure the size resistor to use.
I have read some people using a 10 watt 10 ohm and some using a 25 watt 1-3 ohm. I am not sure what all this means, so I do not know where to really start. I also have read that I should use a resistor with a covered wire on each end rather than the one's at Radio Shack that are uncovered single strands of wire on each end.
As far as a light goes, what is suggested? Do I need a certain size?
I am debating on a light vs. the resistor, but would lean toward a resistor if I was confident in which one to use and that it would not get overly hot.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!
thanks,
Eric
ehooper is offline Find More Posts by ehooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2003, 05:03 PM
Lift is Good!
Goshen, Indiana, United States
Joined Nov 2002
882 Posts
I used two 10W in series. I wired them to the exhaust fan in back.

One black and one reg wire go to the resistors.

I gathered all my yellow wires (positive) and joined them with a 8 guage wire. I also joined the rest of the black wires together (ground).

I stubbed both 8 guage wires out the top of a project box from Radio Shack. I then connected a switch to the green and one black wire and mounted the switch on top. Preto...all done.

works great with my Triton!

Cubby Boy is offline Find More Posts by Cubby Boy
Old Apr 14, 2003, 05:23 PM
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Mar 2003
18 Posts
Thanks for the response and the very helpful pictures.
What ohm rating are your resistors?
thanks,
Eric
ehooper is offline Find More Posts by ehooper
Old Apr 14, 2003, 05:29 PM
Lift is Good!
Goshen, Indiana, United States
Joined Nov 2002
882 Posts
They say 1 ohms. Does that sound right? It has been a while since I bought them.

Since they are rectangular, they strap nicely to the back of the power supply.
Cubby Boy is offline Find More Posts by Cubby Boy
Old Apr 14, 2003, 07:23 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
i used 2 10 ohm 10 watt resistors in parallel between +5volt and common, resistors get warm but not bad, zip tied them inside the case next to cooling holes, mounted female bannana binding posts to the case, so everything is concealed inside the case, go to www.rcbatteryclinic.com for detailed instructions,

i get 12.45 volts with no load, and 12.2 volts while charging an 8 cell HE pack at 2 amps<~my biggest pack

ive read that some pc power supplies like having a 3 amp or better load on the 5 volt side, i would test different loads on it untill you get above 12 volts while charging your biggest packs, and if a 10 watt resistor gets a little too hot for your taste, use a 25 watt or parallel 2 10 watts, i dont like the idea of using a light bulb, they can get hot enough to melt things, even at 5 volts.

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad