HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:03 PM
foamflyer_86
Clinton, Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2009
3 Posts
Discussion
foam poster board???

Hey Guys I have just recently tried my hand at some scratch built planes I have been into RC airplanes for almost 3 yrs now but have never built my own. I was wondering how the foam poster board type material would work or hold up with these. It is the type that is the same dementions as a peice of poster board but is foam. It also has paper backing on both sides which in some cases one would seem to think that it would help strengthen. will this material be too heavy?? I would love any feedback anyone would be willing to give me. Just a newbie looking for advice

Foam Flyer
foamflyer_86 is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer_86
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:34 PM
San Diego
Joined May 2008
480 Posts
The matierial is heavy but durable to a certain degree. I will make you plane really heavy but i compensate with overpowering the plane. While paper will strengthen it, the downside is weight. You can peel the paper off by soaking in water but not much help. Also, when damaged, the foam will fold instead of breaking and will leave you a nasty problem.
annihil8ted is offline Find More Posts by annihil8ted
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:40 PM
n.y.c l.e.s
Joined Jun 2009
40 Posts
honestly it wont work well like you said its got a paper backing to it so after a while it would start to crack and tear apart espec when you try cutting and glue parts to it. best bet is to use reaguler foam like blue core gray, or black and fan fold. if you want you can cheak at home depot and a good website with lots of info like here is [URL=http://grayshobby.com] and [URL=http://rcpowers.com] even shows videos of projects so search rcgroups and there and hopefully youll get some great ideas fly on
bigednyc is offline Find More Posts by bigednyc
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:58 AM
United States, OH, Wooster
Joined Feb 2005
468 Posts
hi

get it wet peel the paper when u dont get it all just use a wet sponge and the rest will come off
renforce with balsa or cf rods this stuff works fine. ive made a few planes out of it. it just isnt pretty
stroland is offline Find More Posts by stroland
Old Aug 23, 2009, 07:34 PM
Build - Fly - Crash - Repeat
Arlington, TX
Joined Sep 2007
144 Posts
You can get good cheap foamboard at dollartree. A dollar a sheet its dimensions are 20" x 30." I have built several planes out of it, as long as you ad support its works great.
keithdubya is offline Find More Posts by keithdubya
Old Aug 23, 2009, 07:51 PM
Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
542 Posts
Foam board

I have built several planes out of the dollar store stuff. You can build six for the same price as one depron. When it brakes just throw it away. I usually hot glued mine six or seven times. It's slightly heavier than EPP, but that HC tp 2408-21t esc combo on threes man!!! Thats how I started 3d. Also built a swept wing with a carbon tube on leading edge. I'm pretty sure it went at least 45mph. But EPP is way more forgiving, that's all I use now. Mike
p51p51 is offline Find More Posts by p51p51
Old Aug 23, 2009, 08:30 PM
If it wasn't for the foam
PA
Joined Dec 2004
522 Posts
Soak it in warm water and peel off the paper and glue. What's left is a superb building material. Search these forums for some true masterpieces.
tduro is offline Find More Posts by tduro
Old Aug 23, 2009, 09:03 PM
MacBeth, SC
Joined Aug 2007
899 Posts
As has been mentioned in previous threads on this subject, the "Awesome" spray
cleaner available at the Dollar Tree will strip the paper off almost instantly. It's
the best stripper I've found. Warm regards, Jim
Jim Hatch is offline Find More Posts by Jim Hatch
Old Aug 23, 2009, 09:15 PM
fly it crash it fix it
Joined Feb 2009
169 Posts
Get yourself some rubbing alcohol pour it into a trash bag then soak the foamboard in it for fifteen minutes. The paper comes right off and you got some premium building material
flyn_brian is offline Find More Posts by flyn_brian
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:03 AM
foamflyer_86
Clinton, Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2009
3 Posts
Hey thanks for all the imput! I really appreciate all of it and keep it coming I plan on swinging into the dollar store the next time im in OKC. I will pick up several sheets of their foam board
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:13 PM
Foam Fighter and a Bloody Mick
Hermann, MO
Joined Jul 2008
387 Posts
I made my first 2 blubabies from foamboard with the paper peeled off. It worked great. (I peel it off without any prepping, tried everything)
Also, some planes are suited to just leave the paper on. RC Foam Fighters have some free plans available for parkjets with paper on.

RC Foam Fighters
grenadapult is offline Find More Posts by grenadapult
Old Aug 24, 2009, 04:49 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
A fellow Oklahoman here
Be aware that not all the Dollar Tree's have the foam in stock. We have 2 stores here in Muskogee and 1 doesn't carry it.
I use it ALL the time, mostly due to having no income.
Having built around 50 mainly flying wing gliders from it, I can definitely say it's a material that benefits from a good brand of fingernail attached packing tape. Once you cover it, it can survive the worst of storms, the hottest of days, flexing and um not very good landings. The tape helps it not deform too badly, cos once it's out of shape it stays that way. At least the leading edge and nose should see such treatment.

I've tried house insulation type expanded foam, which although thicker, literally breaks into pieces.
Tried the black foamboard from Walmart too. It's tough, but too heavy.

Btw, don't discount foam raw meat trays from dinner time ! For tiny 7" or 8" or so indoor designs it can be great for a free trial of a design, that may or may not fly at a bigger scale.
Done that many many times, as its density and properties are similar to the white foam.
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:12 PM
foamflyer_86
Clinton, Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2009
3 Posts
Whats up slider nice to see a fellow oklahoman. I have never thought of the foam meat trays very good idea the paper on the foam board isn't hard to remover at all just some warm water and some peeling then some brisk rubbing with a thumb usually gets it to roll up pretty nicely. I am for the most part building foam planes for one reason to get people around Clinton interested i can build them cheap throw some chep electronics in and give them a few crash courses and whamm they are fully involved hook line and sinker!!! I will post some pics soon on some designs i am trying out im also waiting for my airbrush set to come in to try my hand and some custom paint jobs!! do you know if any of the dollar tree's in okc carry the foam board???