HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2009, 02:31 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,339 Posts
Build Log
Pre-Production Phoenix VIDEO added!! 2nd build,intakes modified.

Well,this will be my 1st attempt at a build thread....
This jet is the 1st out of the mold.There was another thread started,but some people seemed to think it is a Jepe Pyranha clone,it is not.I took some pictures side by side,allthough they are not huge differences you can tell them apart.
I have lightly sanded Phoenix ,so it looks uneven in some pictures,but I assure you it is very straight and smooth.
This is a 70mm jet,I am going with an 8s setup that will put out about 1200 watts at 35-40 amps.It should really scoot!
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by fh64_lucky; Aug 11, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2009, 02:36 PM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
So, its an adaptation, very nice work, it will be very popular
Whistling Watts is offline Find More Posts by Whistling Watts
Old Aug 22, 2009, 02:42 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,339 Posts
Starting the build...

I cut out holes near tail and mounted the 2 servos,this is a taileron jet,no ailerons.
Drilled out leading edge of the composite wing and installed 2 CF dowels.
Installed the fiberglass duct,started to shape intakes but still have more sanding to do.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2009, 09:06 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,339 Posts
I now have tail feathers installed.I shot a light coat of some gloss white to see how everything looks.I am waiting on the motor which will be here Tuesday,so I am at a stopping point pretty much.I will do some more sanding on intakes and post some more when the rest of the parts show up....
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:00 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,641 Posts
nice ...the inlets are huge .....i bet if they were a tad smaller it would pick up some speed.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Aug 23, 2009, 02:01 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky
.There was another thread started,but some people seemed to think it is a Jepe Pyranha clone,it is not.
Erik v. Schaik is online now Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Last edited by Erik v. Schaik; Aug 23, 2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: request
Old Aug 23, 2009, 08:46 AM
GRX
gettin on the banned wagon
Joined Jun 2008
601 Posts
Handy thats theres an Piranha around for comparison.
GRX is offline Find More Posts by GRX
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:04 AM
Matrix 90 & 100mm sport jet
Merritt Island Fl
Joined Aug 2008
1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik
A slightly longer fuse and a slightly larger intake. You really had a hard time designing it. I would not call it a clone. It seems to me a mix of Pyranha mk2 and mk3 at 95% accuracy laying next to a mk1 fuse . I would have expected an original design . Sorry, no interest for me.

Can your design cope with 240mph efflux of the new gen 70 fan? nope
There is a 10s coming soon and the wing will never fail
do to the carbon fiber construction in side.
Getmore Rc is offline Find More Posts by Getmore Rc
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:04 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,911 Posts
Very nice work! THe only reason I never picked up a Pyranha is because they are bungee only. Any chance yours will have provisions for gear?

Don
gp125racer is online now Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:27 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,339 Posts
Even though some guys in these threads can be real jerks,I will continue with this build.
The Pyranha I have was going to be my next project,I found this jet after I allready had it.This is not my design btw,I am just a hobbiest who has been flying over 27 years now.For me,its all about the fun,you guys that can be so negative,please keep your comments to yourselves.I never bash anybody in these forums,I am here to learn and share with everybody.
The guy who built these molds has done something I myself could not do...I am glad I have a chance to build one,and soon fly it.To me,it really does not matter if its a Pyranha,or close to one.This jet kit went together well,and the wing is outstanding.There is no wood or foam in it,all CF bracing,its very light and VERY strong.
I look forwards to its 1st flight,I will video it as I do all my maiden flights.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend... Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:26 PM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky
Even though some guys in these threads can be real jerks,I will continue with this build.
The Pyranha I have was going to be my next project,I found this jet after I allready had it.This is not my design btw,I am just a hobbiest who has been flying over 27 years now.For me,its all about the fun,you guys that can be so negative,please keep your comments to yourselves.I never bash anybody in these forums,I am here to learn and share with everybody.
Lighten up. who is bashing you You have a model inspired by the Jepe Pyranha, wonderful, because you cant buy the Jepe Pyranha anymore. The guy who has produced the molds has done something to fulfill demand, not by cloning, but by adaptation.

So, good luck, have fun, and I hope he makes money If anybody has sour grapes about that, its because they did not have the gonads to do it and he did.
Last edited by Whistling Watts; Aug 23, 2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Got confused about who I was addressing!
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:28 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistling Watts
Lighten up. who is bashing you You have a model inspired by the Jepe Pyranha, wonderful, because you cant buy the Jepe Pyranha anymore. The guy who has the molds has done nothing to fulfill demand, you have, but not by cloning, but by adaptation.

So, good luck, have fun, make money If anybody has sour grapes about that, its because they did not have the gonads to do it and you have.

this guy bought a preproduction one, he's just a consumer. stoneenforcer is the guy making them.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:32 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
nice ...the inlets are huge .....i bet if they were a tad smaller it would pick up some speed.
Looks about the same to me. From what I've read in this forum, the intake size didn't seem to hurt the Pyranha in the speed department.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:53 PM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
The Yellow 'Starfire' has huge intakes as well, thats quick because of that, not inspite of it. Whole bunch of drivel about the drag of intakes, only counts when you throttle back with a combo of multi-blade fan and small outlet, thats when the drag hits. More goes in than can come out the back due to the solidity ratio, common sense not science

Probably explained that incorrectly, no doubt Stuart will correct me, but the effects the same. No free lunch with an EDF, add it one place, lose it somewhere else.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:55 PM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete
this guy bought a preproduction one, he's just a consumer. stoneenforcer is the guy making them.
Correct, I will edit my post, wrote something, meant something else
Last edited by Whistling Watts; Aug 23, 2009 at 02:02 PM.