SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2009, 02:49 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
Discussion
Exi 250

Looks like XHeli is now selling an EXI 250 kit. Has anyone purchased one yet? http://www.xheli.com/pyro-250-exi-micro-helicopter.html

I was curious to find out what servos, motors, ESC's etc. people are using on this heli.

The basic kit is $99 (airframe only.) It still seems cheaper to just build a 450.

Edit: It looks like the kit is all carbon fiber and CNC on the head and tail assembly, but I can't find a link for replacement parts, yet.
JDFiend is offline Find More Posts by JDFiend
Last edited by JDFiend; Aug 22, 2009 at 02:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2009, 06:27 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
That's the same as the Skya / Bullet 250, and cheaper from them
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Aug 22, 2009, 09:49 AM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
in my opinion not much money is saved usually with a bargain clone kit .. most of the $$ is spent on electrics. it may in the end be alittle cheaper given the same electric setup but also in my opinion, the savings wont be worth it if the airframe isnt 100% compatible with parts and of similar quality throughout with the namebrand kit it is a clone of. Sure 99$ sounds great but if you want a decent gyro and servo tack on 200$ .. if you want a decent cyclic servo set tack on another 100$ .. if you dont have a decent radio tack on another 200-400$ .. if you want a decent esc and motor another 100$+, good lipos lets say 3, probably 150$, a good charger maybe 100$, and lets not forget the couple of little things that are not quite right so we need to upgrade with the namebrand oem pieces-another100+$ .. now if that basic 99$ clone kit isnt a beautiful copy that can interchange with original namebrand oem parts its going to be kinda lame to bolt in a grands worth of good electrics right .. dont get me wrong i think some clone kits can save you 100-200 bucks and be quite good but dont get caught up in the oh-im-going-to-get-a-cool-heli-for-99$ trap ... you can by a bunch of mystery electrics for a hundred bucks sure but dont expect it to be anything like a well setup chopper ...
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Last edited by dze; Aug 22, 2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:05 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Cool, sold in the US...no stress with having to have someone around to sign for that registered mail package from HK. Seems nice at $99, but that time Xheli tried to dick me over on shipping on a EXI450 order kind of sours me on getting anything from there. Maybe saving ~$10 and ordering from Hong Kong might be a better route.

Xheli does have the best deal going on a charger however...that Thunder AC6 they sell is the best thing around if you want one with a built in power supply.
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:35 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dze
in my opinion not much money is saved usually with a bargain clone kit .. most of the $$ is spent on electrics. it may in the end be alittle cheaper given the same electric setup but also in my opinion, the savings wont be worth it if the airframe isnt 100% compatible with parts and of similar quality throughout with the namebrand kit it is a clone of. Sure 99$ sounds great but if you want a decent gyro and servo tack on 200$ .. if you want a decent cyclic servo set tack on another 100$ .. if you dont have a decent radio tack on another 200-400$ .. if you want a decent esc and motor another 100$+, good lipos lets say 3, probably 150$, a good charger maybe 100$, and lets not forget the couple of little things that are not quite right so we need to upgrade with the namebrand oem pieces-another100+$ .. now if that basic 99$ clone kit isnt a beautiful copy that can interchange with original namebrand oem parts its going to be kinda lame to bolt in a grands worth of good electrics right .. dont get me wrong i think some clone kits can save you 100-200 bucks and be quite good but dont get caught up in the oh-im-going-to-get-a-cool-heli-for-99$ trap ... you can by a bunch of mystery electrics for a hundred bucks sure but dont expect it to be anything like a well setup chopper ...
DZE,

Just to give a slightly different perspective

I now have 2 clone 250s - an XYS250, and a Bullet 250 (same as the Skya / EXI). I built them completely from bits that I had spare (admitedly I did de-commission my SJM180 to get the Rx for the second. The spec for the
XYS250 is ...

3 x HS-45 on cyclic
$10 noname ESC (used in Copterx 200)
$15 eBay motor (also used in Copterx 200)
$25 CNCheli Gyro (from spares box)
$18 JR S185 tail servo

I already had them all

Bullet (Skya) 250
3 x HXT900 on cyclic
$20 Hobbywing 18A ESC (from SJM180)
$30 AKE motor (from SJM180)
$25 Telebee Gyro
$15 Futaba 3110 on tail

As you can see, neither is a high spec but I have got them both in the air for a total expenditure of about $170 for the pair - obviously I had bought the gear at some stage, so it wasn't free - but all of the cost was sunken.

And how do they fly ???? - well I can only fly sports and I really can't tell the difference between them and my T250 (yep - got one of those as well). Why buy clones when I have the real thing ? Well I bought the T250 with 3 x 410 + ESC + motor - about $270 when I bought it plus $110 for the LG2100T and $35 for the DS09SCD, so a total of about $400. i feel so much happier throwing $150 of heli about rather than $400 and as I said, at my level I can't tell the difference in the flight characteristics.

Just an alternative viewpoint - have a look in those spares boxes and see what you can find

Mike.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:37 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4
Cool, sold in the US...no stress with having to have someone around to sign for that registered mail package from HK. Seems nice at $99, but that time Xheli tried to dick me over on shipping on a EXI450 order kind of sours me on getting anything from there. Maybe saving ~$10 and ordering from Hong Kong might be a better route.

Xheli does have the best deal going on a charger however...that Thunder AC6 they sell is the best thing around if you want one with a built in power supply.
Xheli isn't too good for us foreigner types either - I was going to buy one of the $55 EXI450s last year - shipping to UK $78
Old Aug 22, 2009, 01:50 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC
Xheli isn't too good for us foreigner types either - I was going to buy one of the $55 EXI450s last year - shipping to UK $78
LOL. The best is when the website gives you $5 shipping and you place your order. Then they email you saying shipping is $18 and to pay up. You then go to their message board inquiring about it and they say "Well, it is an item, not a part, thus the higher shipping price". So then you go back to the website and uncheck 'parts express' to get the standard UPS ground rate...it says it is $12. Back to the message board, where the guy there says "OK, we'll change shipping to $12". You then call the order line to finalize the deal at $12 shipping and they get snippy with you saying shipping is $18 even after you mention the message board exchange and what the website is quoting for UPS ground shipping for the item.

At that point I just cancelled the order and got a CopterX...better value with more metal bits and better hardware for a couple extra dollars more considering the inflated shipping on the base EXI bird with metal head/tail upgrade
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Aug 22, 2009, 02:51 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
I might have considered purchasing one of these 250 kits, but I just spent some $ to order an ARF Legend kit last week.

XHeli does have the FREE shipping going on, right now with orders of $50 or more.

Joe
JDFiend is offline Find More Posts by JDFiend
Old Aug 22, 2009, 04:24 PM
Joined Jun 2009
192 Posts
Quote:
DZE,

I now have 2 clone 250s - an XYS250, and a Bullet 250 (same as the Skya / EXI). I built them completely from bits that I had spare (admitedly I did de-commission my SJM180 to get the Rx for the second. The spec for the
XYS250 is ...

3 x HS-45 on cyclic
$18 JR S185 tail servo

I already had them all

Bullet (Skya) 250
3 x HXT900 on cyclic
$25 Telebee Gyro
$15 Futaba 3110 on tail

As you can see, neither is a high spec but I have got them both in the air for a total expenditure of about $170 for the pair - obviously I had bought the gear at some stage, so it wasn't free - but all of the cost was sunken.

And how do they fly ???? - well I can only fly sports and I really can't tell the difference between them and my T250 (yep - got one of those as well). Why buy clones when I have the real thing ? Well I bought the T250 with 3 x 410 + ESC + motor - about $270 when I bought it plus $110 for the LG2100T and $35 for the DS09SCD, so a total of about $400. i feel so much happier throwing $150 of heli about rather than $400 and as I said, at my level I can't tell the difference in the flight characteristics.

Just an alternative viewpoint - have a look in those spares boxes and see what you can find

Mike.
Mike...Well Said my friend. I too have the real Trex250. I have the super combo and 1 align 850mah 3s 30c lipo. add the cost of the receiver and it was $480. I spent another $75 on carbon blades, metal bearing blocks, special hardware bag that comes with specialty washers. grand total so far: $560

the trex250 is an amazing bird and i absolutely love it. but the thought of crashing one makes me jitters.

Enter the clone. I already have a bunch of spare parts hanging around, gyro, tail servo, esc, hs65mg's. I can get one up for under $150. but that's because I already have alot the electronics.
DrDoom is offline Find More Posts by DrDoom
Old Aug 22, 2009, 07:03 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
Quote:
DZE,

XYS250 is ...

3 x HS-45 on cyclic
$18 JR S185 tail servo

I already had them all

Bullet (Skya) 250
3 x HXT900 on cyclic
$25 Telebee Gyro
$15 Futaba 3110 on tail

Mike.
theres many ways of looking at it. if you already have spare electrics a clone looks great .. i have 2 copterx450ae clones and i like them. the deception i think applies more to beginners. this hobby isnt cheap and theres a reason that better stuff costs more .. a good clone with good electrics can rock as good as a namebrand i think and if you know what your doing you can get one together that works well for under the price of a namebrand heli .. but, make sure you get a good clone otherwise your kidding yourself on the savings and cheating yourself on performance .. but i hear ya .. skill level comes into play to .. you dont need mega$ electrics to learn to hover and forward and you dont even need a clone for that matter .. a bargain rtf kit like a beltcp or bladecp2 will do the trick to.
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:37 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,567 Posts
i just saw this 250 from xheli. i really like my EXI 450....so i was looking to get a 250 to build this Fall...
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:59 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Free shipping coupons are for $100 or more.
http://www.mycoolheli.com/xhelicoupons.html

I've had real sucess on the EXI 450's The replacement parts are cheaper from xheli and along with $6 fiberglass blades from Hobby City, my crashes have been averaging $15. Sometimes just $5 for flybar, spindle and mainshaft if I crash in the high weeds and save the blades in time w/ the throttle hold.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:44 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Who has a EXI 250 or any other 250 clone that can give an opinion on a motor to put into it?
What headspeed are you running and what pinion?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:08 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Well I have a Bullet, which is the same heli for all practical purposes.

I put a stock Align stock motor ESC.
HS45 cyclic servos
JR DS 188 tail
2100T gyro

It rocks, probably flies better than my Trex 250.
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:16 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic
Who has a EXI 250 or any other 250 clone that can give an opinion on a motor to put into it?
What headspeed are you running and what pinion?
I have an XYS250 and a Bullet 250 - I aim for the same HS as my T250, Align recommend about 4,000 - 4,500. I have a 4500kV motor with a 12T pinion and a 3800kV on 14T. The Mystery D2627 gets good reviews with 3800 or 4200 (I think).

Mike.