HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:38 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Discussion
Thunder Tiger P-40 Warhawk build/mod thread

I was looking for something to chuck about in the park whilst finishing my twin B.26,and came accross this little gem at a reasonable price.

However,it's not gonna be big at 34" but,I'm going to try and squeeze my Mega 16/15/4 with a Cobri box for some high (octane?) extreme warbird performance for a lotta fun!

Obviously, for me, the LG has to go and I'm going to handlaunch.
The finish is too 'nice' too,and will need some weathering to give an impression of realism.
Bye bye to the silly pilot to make way for one of my own.

Question is, can I get a 2200 3s lipo in there? Hmmm..

Presently,it has been designed to get battery access by taking the wing off, so that will need dealing with too.

I'll keep the 3 blade propellor of course!

I should get it by Tues/Weds next week, and the build will begin then.

Not much info anywhere on RCG, except for a few pics a guy took and had posted in the classifieds here a while back.
I'm hoping this will be a fun toy!

Just wondering if anyone else here has one of these?

Matt

Here are a few pics.
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Last edited by Matt Halton; Aug 21, 2009 at 12:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:33 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,729 Posts
Matt -

Yes. I have one of these birds; I like it's looks and most of it's construction. The aileron and in particular the elevator hinging needed complete reworking to my satisfaction. How they intended the elevator to work as supplied I do not know...

I was hoping to 'break in' on warbirds with this one but it is parked for the time being. Not such good luck with hand launching this one, yet. I think it's mostly a matter of my technique but it torque rolls at launch, especially with that three blade prop. The battery access is a pain too as you noted.

I opted tor a Ph3 P-40 as I can take off with extended gear and retract to land in the grass.

Been watching your B-26 build and it's looking soooo good!

Edit.: I'm using a 1250 ma battery and it is right at the recommended flying weight.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Aug 21, 2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:37 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
I think the wing removal/battery access was the deal killer on this model which is why you don't see many people flying, including P-40 nuts like me.

I'm very interested to hear how yours comes out, Matt. Good luck!
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Aug 21, 2009, 02:02 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,896 Posts
I did a TT P-40 a while back in Aleuatian (sp?) colors. Sadly I lost her on the maiden due to a rec failure and the rebuilds after was never able to get her to fly right.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726989

D-Rock
D-Rock is online now Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:06 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Thanks guys, I have a lot of modding to do-Thanks for the heads up

I'll keep you posted.

Matt
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:57 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,496 Posts
Hi matt,
I havent done the P40 but a few of the others...the rare bear is my fav...you can fit a 2100 in there..I hand launch at a 30 degree up angle and about 20 to the right of where I want the plane to go..it will torque left as it leaves you hand..after that they fly great...it time for me to build a new one( I sell them off after a few flights)
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:03 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Quote:
I havent done the P40 but a few of the others...the rare bear is my fav...you can fit a 2100 in there..I hand launch at a 30 degree up angle and about 20 to the right of where I want the plane to go..it will torque left as it leaves you hand..after that they fly great...it time for me to build a new one( I sell them off after a few flights)
Thanks, I was anticipating that might be the case.Now I'm feeling more positive that this might work ok.

Getting excited about the project now
Old Aug 22, 2009, 02:25 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,753 Posts
sorry, posted in wrong thread:

Nice little distraction from the B26 Matt. Look for to seeing both at Basingstoke.

Stuart.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Sep 08, 2009, 05:08 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,143 Posts
I just got a TT P-40 and will mod it with working retracts, Flaps, and rudder.

It sure is a very workable plane just as my TT P-51 is.

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Sep 12, 2009, 01:59 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,729 Posts
Matt -

Well, ya' kinda inspired me to take on modding my TT P-40 so I'm working on a hatch. Did you get your P-40?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 03:40 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,729 Posts
Thunder Tiger P-40 hatch mod.

Matt -

Here's my mod. to the TT P-40 for a battery hatch:

The pink foam article is a foam spacer to keep the battery from sliding forward. The hatch will be secured with a magnet at the front center and at the rear of the canopy hood. The floor is 3mm foam from a carry-out container that sits on 1/4'x1/4" rails glued to the fuse sides.

Edit: I ended up putting magnets at the hatch sides in the middle. More gluing area and I think a better mechanical advantage for the magnets to hold.
Last edited by gnats82; Dec 29, 2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:00 PM
Oregon
Joined Feb 2009
67 Posts
Subscribed . I did a favor for a lhs that is starting up in my home town . Got them some fire hose and delivered it . They are going to let me have a TT park flyer at cost for the effort . Kusunokimashige , can you tell me a litttle bit about the P-51 . I am trying to get info on all of thier parkflyers . The only one I am not interested in is the stuka .
hlbly is offline Find More Posts by hlbly
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:18 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Sorry for not getting along with this yet-I had a few family problems this year,ceased modelling for a while, but am getting back now.
Still need to finish the B-26, but really want to get this little plane up and running.

Just had a proper look at the kit contents, was very impressed to find a brushless outrunner incuded!

I don't recall there being a motor supplied in the advert when I bought it,so is a bit of a bonus!

gnats, your battery mods look very good, seems I will be following your lead!

Anyone else flying one of these yet?

I'll start posting pics when I get going in the next few days.

Matt
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:23 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,496 Posts
Hi Matt,
yea its a great deal on these and the motors work great!..My rearbear is still going strong after 2 years I think..hundred of flights..one bad grash with little damage..use a 1300 size batt and have a blast!
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Dec 29, 2009, 01:18 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,729 Posts
Hi Matt -

While I was putting mine together, I decided to not glue in the firewall as it fits in such a snug groove in the foam. Turned out a good idea as the motor mount broke from one of my failed launch attempts and I was able to cut the foam away at the top over the firewall and just slid the motor mount/firewall straight up and out. I then made a new one, slid it back into place then glued the foam piece back over the top with a couple dabs of silicone glue.

The Ripper OBL is a powerful motor, able to practically launch straight up!

Nice to see you back.