HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:36 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
Have I been driving on the road too long today or is that rear swingarm pivting from in front of the motor???
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:37 PM
Joined Apr 2007
480 Posts
Hi edi,

The bike looks great!!......how are you running a 4.5T motor and not getting wheelies!!.....long wheelbase?

let us know how you get on at the weekend racing...we want a full report!!!
symon is offline Find More Posts by symon
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:04 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb. View Post
Have I been driving on the road too long today or is that rear swingarm pivting from in front of the motor???
the entire rear end, including the motor, pivots at a point in front of the motor...
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:25 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2 View Post
the entire rear end, including the motor, pivots at a point in front of the motor...
Thank you!!! My worn out brain thought it was seeing things.
It was hard enough to take in an ''interesting'' 1/5 bike speed wheel design I've been looking at on the 'net.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:23 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Hi edi,

The bike looks great!!......how are you running a 4.5T motor and not getting wheelies!!.....long wheelbase?

let us know how you get on at the weekend racing...we want a full report!!!
I think the "trick" is:
apart from the special design, my worn out Lipos ;-)
But a friend has a earlier Prototype (Generation III) and is driving a 4.5T too and he has good batteries....
Its tricky on the triggerfinger but controlable. The bike really slowly starts lifting the front end enough time to reduce power.
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Mar 24, 2010, 04:47 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,115 Posts
I found out that I dont need to disassemble the front brakes anymore when I change the front wheel. What a mere chance of fortunate coincidendal serendipity....There are a timed 22sec. between the pictures to take the wheel out and 27sec. to put it back in........no need to "fiddleadjust" the brakes...THANK YOU!!!
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'm not totally useless..
Drunen. NL
Joined Sep 2003
407 Posts
Edi,

I see that you redesigned your headstock unit (carbon plates). Any special reason for that (weight?) Just curious...
Stil no plans for putting the bike on the market? Looks just great!
radical ron is offline Find More Posts by radical ron
Old Mar 24, 2010, 01:45 PM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radical ron View Post
Edi,
I see that you redesigned your headstock unit (carbon plates). Any special reason for that (weight?) Just curious...
Stil no plans for putting the bike on the market? Looks just great!
Two reasons: If I smash the one piece plastic part EUR100 ($150) go down the drain. With the carbon plates breakage isnt so expensive Further I designed it to flex backward so I have a crashback system for the fork. Eventhough its a open design it exeeds torsional stiffness of the plastic headstock by 30%. Over time the headstock bearings started to work into the plastic too and that would be again EUR100 out of the window. Now I can change the hearstock bearing hub for under EUR 20....

Market: Putting a product on the market is one thing the second is service, spare parts and guarantee. I want it to stay a hobby. I am only making a few for friends. It still costs EUR1000+....
Old Mar 24, 2010, 02:19 PM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,115 Posts
One week aniversary

I have sent over 40 LIPOS through the latest Prototype.....time for a update.

40 charges at 15min runtime make 10hours driving time. At a average of approx. 30sec. a Lap thats about 1200 Laps. At about 260m track length
thats 312kilometers I drove in a week..... ups

What happend? The bike chewed itself through three sets of PMT 200s.... I had to service the steering damper twice and the rear shock once. Now and then I had to straighten the fork after I sent the bike flying. Thats it. Nothing broke. No wear. All... and I mean all bearings still as good as new.

Oh and one thing I have to say: my batteries are crap. I tried a brand new Lipo today it was helll to drive. It was liftig the front wheel on the straight at a moment I ~thought~ was top speed... so dont try to put a 4.5T in a bike unless your Lipos are as dead as mine are.
On the other hand....its good to know... if your Lipos are dying on you all you have to do is put a stronger motor in your bike to give you the same speed...
Old Mar 24, 2010, 03:53 PM
Joined Nov 2009
127 Posts
Sorry, just curious, was the runtime the same w/ the new battery too?
motonovice is offline Find More Posts by motonovice
Old Mar 25, 2010, 03:21 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonovice View Post
Sorry, just curious, was the runtime the same w/ the new battery too?
The old LIPOs are Trakpower 4900 25C packs. They are in their 2nd season. I got them off one of the drivers used. At the beginning they charged the full 4900 that gave me about 20mins of driving. They charge about 3800mAmps now and they are down to about 15mins of driving. I solwly upgeard the motor (5.5T) over time to give me the same lap times. They havent got any "punch" anmore and they loose Voltage to the end slowly.

The new ones are crappy Zippy 4000 25C and they give me hell with the same gearing. They have punch until they drop off rapidly after about 15mins. Thats the same time I can run the old ones. Lap times are about the same but its hard to control and I walk off the stand with sweat running down my crevice.

Conclusion: You DONT need 5XXX 50+C Lipos for your bike. If you dont drive Stock Motors a cheap Battery will do fine. All you have to do is find a strong enough motor and right gearing that will give you the proper amount of power and speed you can handle. ANd over time when the batts get old you just need to upgear the motor. Thats sad news for the guys that are trying to sell us expensive LIPO packs with whopping numbers printed all over them.

Another conclusion: This means Superbikes are cheaper to drive than Stock bikes... thats a chunk for people to think about......
Old Mar 27, 2010, 06:34 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,115 Posts
Here are three clips from yesterdays training session.
We had a weather constellation calles "FÖHN" (hairdryer). So we had winds of up to 50km/h across the track. Further Track Temp. was 15°C. So that wasnt easy to drive (laptimes are crap).

1/5th RC - Bike (Driver Stand) TESTING (2 min 25 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqmCGjs80gM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yt9v0EzmY0
Old Mar 27, 2010, 09:50 AM
cape town
Joined Apr 2006
225 Posts
This just makes me want one even more! It seems to handle perfectly, or is it driver skill? Either way, I love it!
KermitGTT is offline Find More Posts by KermitGTT
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:32 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,115 Posts
Two weeks

67 Lipos driven up to now with the latest proto. That about a distance of 500km three things have happened:
1.)I twisted the main driveshaft. I admit it was made of Aluminum so no big surprise. Maybe the Spurholder came loose and worked into the shaft. It was a bit inconvenient to reach the screw so I didnt check it often. So thats going to be changed to Titanium and I will reposition the screw.
2.)The rear belt pulley came loose and the screws ripped through the swingarm. My fault again. I was too lazy and only used three insted of six screws to mount the pulley.
3.)Yesterday the first set of Crashbars wore through ......
Thats it! ....this is getting boring...

Lap times have dropped to high 27sec. average over 10min. Yesterday I did 7 consecutive laps below 27 best was a 26,39 (driving solo). The bike is still tricky to drive each Lipo has a different power curve so I have to get used to each pack. Hope this will change once I get a new set of batteries. The bike has used another set of 200s and one set of front 010s it seems to enjoy watching me glueing new tires.....
I will be changing to a 6,5 T Nosram X12 the 4,5 T gives me hell on new batteries.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:52 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,343 Posts
With all those laps and km's under your wheels in practising, you're getting better at driving.
I have to drive a bit more, then, since I'm still on my FIRST rear tire! Then again, I'm only running a 27T brushed so far...
I have done my fair share of laps though, at around 20-25 batteries so far.
And... I have to convince my friendly track owners to lend me their program of lap counting to install on my laptop, so I can make it work, when I go to the track alone during the weekdays! They happily give me the keys to the track, anytime I ask for them!
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Last edited by steliosh; Mar 31, 2010 at 04:52 AM. Reason: spelling...