HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:12 PM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Here is a quick picture with the Bikes and just about all sponsor stickers on them.

Left: Wet Bike (only had to run in Lostallo on Monday morning). It won two of the Finals at the Warmup.
Right: This bike was supposed to be the Bike for the Worlds.
Middle: The bike I raced and won with . It is the first rolling prototype of the Generation 7 and has
gone through about 400Lipos since I assembled it on 12th of January. I thought it deserves to race in Lostallo
after it won 5 out of 6 races of the Austrian Onroad Cup.

Before anybody asks:
The motor is a Lehner 5T Prototype (1920/5 LK CAR) .
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2011, 03:26 PM
mp-
Napa, California
Joined Jan 2004
706 Posts
Congratulations Edi, well done!

mp-
mp- is offline Find More Posts by mp-
Old Aug 15, 2011, 03:53 PM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp- View Post
Congratulations Edi, well done!

mp-
Thanks Patrick!
So how many World Championship Titles have your Forks got now?
Now its one more
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:55 PM
Canada, ON, Acton
Joined Oct 2003
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.winter View Post
Before anybody asks:
Great driving Edi!

I love Lehner motors. I have a Lehner in my GPV-1; a 1010-5200kv'ish motor.
BACKEMFNRG is offline Find More Posts by BACKEMFNRG
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:02 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,559 Posts
Quote:

Before anybody asks:
Why Prototype ? Is looking available in the Lehner shop
Only 6270kv ... does not sound a super hot motor

And finally ... these are looking sensorless ... is this correct ?
Which ESC are you using, isn't more smooth a sensored ESC ?

Lehner are not ROAR approved as far as I know, but I guess this does not matter in this context.

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Congratulation again to you and Aaron ... 2 Jabber on the top of the world ... for do better, you need to fill up the full podium next year
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:42 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Why Prototype ? Is looking available in the Lehner shop
Look closely the one I have has the new "CAR" rear end.
Quote:
Only 6270kv ... does not sound a super hot motor
Again look a bit more closely: it does approx. 1000W at 50000rpm with a Momentum of 18.8 Ncm
Quote:
And finally ... these are looking sensorless ... is this correct ?
Yes sensorless... no problems with cables
Quote:
Which ESC are you using, isn't more smooth a sensored ESC ?
CS-Electronic can handle Sensored and Sensorless Motors.
Nope if you have the right motor and proper ESC setup it is supersmooth
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:15 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,559 Posts
Quote:
Look closely the one I have has the new "CAR" rear end.

Again look a bit more closely: it does approx. 1000W at 50000rpm with a Momentum of 18.8 Ncm

Yes sensorless... no problems with cables

CS-Electronic can handle Sensored and Sensorless Motors.
Nope if you have the right motor and proper ESC setup it is supersmooth
At 120Amp it has over 90% efficiency

I did know Lehner was a pioneer in the brushless motors.
As well it made lot of world record with RC boat and RC aeroplane.

Actually the 1920 is a product that is out since 2004 (maybe even before it)

I'm impress to see them still alive and on the edge.

Probably sensored motor has an advantage only when it is needed to start from still position, on a RC car grid ...

Do you know which motor was running the other super bike finalists ?

Guess Aaron may just had your exact same set up ... curious to know if the majority was sensorless or sensored ... that also means that if ROAR does no dictated the motor type, the sensored Novak style get out of the picture

Danke

e_lm_70
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:34 AM
Joined Apr 2007
469 Posts
Hi E_lm_70

I was using a HPI pro 5T sensored motor in the superbike A final...i used it all week,with no problems.....not the fastest but seems reliable........

Simon
symon is offline Find More Posts by symon
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:51 AM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
902 Posts
well done edi

the days of build it and drive it, may be gone from 1:1 scale championships, but still are still alive in rc.

congratulations

a.
ado1974 is offline Find More Posts by ado1974
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:35 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Probably sensored motor has an advantage only when it is needed to start from still position, on a RC car grid ...
I do not have the slightest idea what cars need.
Bikes only need a very smooth and consistent motor.
If it reacts different when it gets hot its hard to keep under control.
Quote:
Do you know which motor was running the other super bike finalists ?
Not sure at all.
Helly drove a CS-Electronic 4.5T Star
I think most of the other TT Team also had CS Motors
Quote:
Guess Aaron may just had your exact same set up ...
Yes same Motor/ESC...
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:41 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
World Chamionship diary:

I took three bikes with me:
Wet Bike: Its the very first prototype of the Generation 7. I call it Granddaddy. Its not as stiff as the later bikes. Esc: Mtroniks G2 Ride Motor:X11 5.5T Nosram approx0.3kg of Plasidip and lead giving it a overall weight of 2kg. Tires brand new PMT200s I broke in in the wet.
#2 Bike: Its the follow up of Granddaddy. Much stiffer and the bike I ran the whole year. Its run ~400 charges. This bike won 5 out of 6 of the Austrian series. It has a Lehner 1920/5 in it and a 1:8th CS-Electronic ESC.
#1 Bike: The newest lastest and greatest Generation 7 with all the tiny improvements made. I only ran this bike in Lostallo at the Warmup, the Open GP 4 weeks later and once on a training day in Lostallo inbetween. Motor 4T Star and a CS-Electronic speedo.

Monday:

I arrived at about 08:00. Unpacked the car and got ready in the Pits. It was still raining so I was eager to try the wet bike. Everything worked out well and after 2 Lipos I was recording low 37sec Laps average and a very good 36.1 Fastest Lap in the rain.
Towards midday it was dry. Took out the #1 Bike. I adjusted to 22 leaning angle and started off fine tuning the bike. Constantly adjusting the brake balance and concentrating on one section after the other.
Most of the Top Drivers were already there so everytime I could I tried to catch up behind them and watch their driving. If they came up behind me I tried to do a worse job just not to show everything. Still I was doing the by far fastest Laps somewhat 2 secs infront of most. I wasnt too chuffed about that I was sure there was much more to come from the Top Drivers.
By the end of the day I had done 14 Charges (approx. 200Laps) fastest Lap 31,4.

Tuesday:
First beautiful day. It stayed like that till sunday. In the morning the grass was sopping wet. So I tried to avoid the "green" experiance tells me its not so fast on there even in the dry . I was still playing around with the sections of the track on the #1 Bike. Just one section after the other to find the safest way to get through.
Aaron had the Radargun out and "shot" me at 106kph down the straight seemed to be the fastest bike.
Midday it was getting really hot. Much hotter than on any race day before. Thats when my ESC started going into safe mode after a few fast Laps. I was running Low on Lipocapacity anyway so I decided to gear the poor bugger down a bit. In the afternoon it was getting really hot. Thats when I decided to try the 010s and 100s. The rear 010 where ruined after a 10min run and the 100s didnt feel right. Best over the whole day were the 200s. I made the decision to run 200 throughout the weekend. The rest of the day I broke in 3 sets of 200s for the Practice, Qualifying, and the Finals.
Again I did 14 runs and again the fastest time was a 31,4.

Wednesday:

SSDD..... just as on Tuesday mornig. Hangover from the previous day feeling a bit crappy. Again #1 Bike. I was still just doing laps. The bike was feeling okay but it wasnt as good as on the training day 3 weeks before. Anyway sometime that morning it drove over some debris under the bridge and took off. Thats when you really see the speed youre going at. Anyway it went over the pit lane over the fence into the french pits (somewhere under table #3). Miky (RGEvolution) brought it back to me. First I gave it a repair. At second thought I ripped out the rear shock, steering damper, transponder and tires and put them on the #2 Bike. I took it out for a shakedown to find the right gearing and ESC settings for the Lehner. Thats when I started feeling comfortable. I took it out for a first proper run and was surprised with the laptimes. Unplugged the transponder and beat the hell out of it taking the times myself with the RC. After that I was satisfied.
In the afternoon we had the first preTimedPractise runs: Thats when I found I was suddenly running low on battery again and loosing performance over towards the end of the 10min run. Gearing down helped but still I was having trouble. I was already a bit drunk by the late afternoon so I didnt give a damn. I was fastest that day anyway.

Thursday:
Again the same as on the day before. Wet grass, dry track, blue sky, rings under my eyes and a heavy hangover. Free Practice. Bike performing sh!tty. ESC power maxed out I even reduced a Correcting Factor to try to get more out of it. At the beginning of a run it was hard to control at the end no more power and I was running out of Battery. In the pits the Motor was 65 the ESC recorded 85 max. Temp. Sitting there drifting off into a deep depression all allone in my head fighting my hangover I suddenly noticed something. Taking the Lipo out of the bike it hooked up with the chassis. It happened the day before but as I mentioned I didnt give a damn. Looking at it I saw the Hardcase around the +Plug had molten. I remembered I had read about that earlier this year. The damn Plug on the ESC was broken. Changed that quickly and hurried to the track before it was closed for the Practise runs. Did about 10 backflips and crashed end of straight because I was on the brakes far to late due to the high speed it was developing again. I still came from the rostrum with a broad smile. My hangover was gone
Went back to the old ESC settings and geared it up. Unplugged the transponder and had some fun.
In the afternoon we had the first Practise runs. Quite uneventful, I just took the first easy. Adjusted the ESC reduced the leaning angle to 20. Really put my finger down on the second and third. This put me over a second in front of Aaron and two over Marco......thinking about that: we could have done the award ceremony at that moment
For the fourth I changed the steering angle and the rear end preload. I felt a bit slow through the S23 and S21 turns after the straight = fast banked sweepers. Luckally changing that was complete bullocks, it gave me the chance to drive behind Marco and Michele. I found out I was just sh!tt!ng my pants and braking too early.
Afterwards...Opening Ceremony.

Friday:

Same as the days before....just slight difference: by now just about everyone had told me I was to become World Champion. I was feeling absolute crap and homesick. I wanted to roll up in the corner of my hotelroom and sleep trough till monday. Luckally I remembered what the mental trainer had tought to me a few weeks earlier and got back on my feet.
I can hardly remember what happened.
First Qualifying: I took it easy driving at about 80%. Crashed once because I forgot what I was supposed to be doing on that bloody rostrum.
Second Qualifying: Going at about 90% flawless run.
Third Qualifying: Going at 95% had a hard time to concentrate but set fastest Quali and Pole for the 1/2 Final on sunday.
I was sure noone was going to be faster on saturday. Went to the bar and got drunk. Went to bed at 01:00 Fri.

Saturday:

Weather as the days before. Mental and physical constitution down to ZERO.
Last Qualifying: 8th position still second fastest lap. Noone beat my friday time.
Ran around the whole day like a zombie, trying not to show the nuclear winter inside of me. All I did was to try to recover till sunday morning. Went to bed early 22:00.

Sunday:
Guess what: blue sky, wet grass, dry track.... no hangover, feeling like a champ but quite nervous. Due to the days before I felt I wasnt prepared proplery but I couldnt do much but make the best of it.
First 1/2Final: Running at 90%. Highly concentrated. Safety run: 20 Laps. Very surprising.
Second 1/2Final: Slight battle at the start. Trying to keep out of trouble. Lopez in front of me. Bikes behind me. I settled for second place. Crashed, cought up again. Settled again. But he overdid it and that was it. First. Two Victories fastest time POLEPOSITION.

I was reduced to tears after the Half Finals. Not because I was first but because Aaron, Helly and Christian made it into the Finals. It was Hellys first Worlds and he has been driving Superbike since April......I am so proud of the guys.

First Final: Crappy start. Still up front. Decided to carry it home. Lost concentration and crashed. Aaron was coming close. I just wanted to bring it to an end. Went through hell and won.
Second Final: Crashed right after the start taking down just about everyone. Bent the fork: It locked out in bottom position. Crashed 3 times. Went over the line in 4th, secondfastest lap with a ruined bike. Had to rebuild the complete Fork took me 5mins.... that gave me a bit of adrenaline, felt better after that.

I had to beat Aaron in the last Final. I miscalculated and thought I needed a 20lapper to do it. Eventhough I was told before I forgot it was best 2 out of three NOT all three. How dumb can you get.

Third Final: Feeling as clear as crystal. My starter couldnt handle the pressure so I looked for an other one and found Marc Hinder. He did a good job I forgot to pull the trigger because that second I thought to remember he is left handed. Luckally managed to stay in front of the pack. I knew I could do a 20 lapper just taking it safe at 95%. I was really feeling good and suddenly had a blackout on the first lap into S05 before the straight. Left it lying there waiting for the marshalls. The whole front of the pack went right into me. Somehow I managed and finished the 2nd Lap behind Marco in 2nd position. I decided to put the throttle down and made the fastest (in race) lap to catch him. 3rd Lap I was first. Seeing that he was dropping off quickly I again took out speed and carried on for my 20 lap run. So theres me the happy twit starting to drift off in thoughts forgetting what the f#!K I am doing here and hey presto!! I crash in lap 15. Damn I thought this IS a world final and youre making a fool of yourself. I checked the board quickly saw Aaron was in 5 waited for the marshall to stop watching the race and put me back in. Went over the finishline drove slow and quickly checked the board again 39,....secs. did the maths and calculated that I was on a close run for the 20 laps.
I wasnt sure at that moment if it would be enough. The rest of the run I was blocked. Only suddenly I heard a 30 sec. warning from a spotter and was sure if I dont do a good lap now I am under 20laps. Finished the last lap with a 31.1 but the beep sounded before I crossed the line....

I wasnt sure until 10mins after the run that I really did it.

Moral: Dont do too much THINKING while you drive, Dont drive tactically, just OPEN THE THROTTLE and hope for the best. THis makes it much easier and more pleasant to drive.
Last edited by edi.winter; Aug 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:51 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,559 Posts
Quote:
Aaron had the Radargun out and "shot" me at 106kph down the straight seemed to be the fastest bike.
Excellent Diary

I think you may even write a book about RC Bikes ... guess nobody knows more then you now

Anyhow ... I have a question.

You did mention that you did work on the bike set up (long wheel base, low CoG, etc) in order to avoid wheely ... but with 1kw power, and a top speed above 100km/h ... I think the set up is not enough for avoid the wheely even near full power ... probably not even at medium speed ... the 1920 has monster torque ... so ... do you have some ESC set up for avoid wheely ? Like limit the acceleration (the increase or RPM) ?

One more ... you mention you got a prototype motor from Lehner, but still they are not one of your sponsor ... how did you manage it ?

Danke

e_lm_70

ps: I did check the track in Riccione (quite well visible from google maps) ... it is looking interesting ... honestly I hate Riccione and the "north" Adriatic sea ... but ... if I can found a decent AI Hotel for the boss ... maybe ... next year
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:09 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,163 Posts
Great account Edi, and congrats -- after all the work and dedication you've put into the hobby, a well-deserved title!

Lito
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:04 PM
I'm hooked on RC Moto
Berkeley
Joined Jun 2006
1,145 Posts
Absolutely awesome account of the week Edi.

Almost made me feel like I was there.

Thanks for the posts and news.

A big ol phat congrats to you!
stubbyphilips is offline Find More Posts by stubbyphilips
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:17 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
Agreeing with all of the above speakers-writers, I must say I didn't notice the strain of Edi, even though I was sitting two benches away, facing at him, and most of the time he was smiling and talking happily with everyone...
The only time I saw him in some kind of nervousness was right after that dreaded 2nd final, when he was working on the bike like he was on fire!
Excellent work, Edi!
Thanks for sharing!
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh