HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:59 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,678 Posts
Discussion
Lt. Duane Francies 'MISS ME!?' L4 cub...looking for reference

Evening gents, I wonder if any of you can help me with this. I'm currently converting my H9 J3 cub into a hopefully more scale L4 grasshopper rendition. I'm at the stage now where I can start thinking about what scheme/markings to use and therefore aircraft to represent. I was doing a little research when I stumbled upon this very interesting story from the last days of the ETO:

"The MISS ME was an unarmed Piper Cub. While spotting for the US artillery her pilot saw a similar German plane doing the same thing. He dove on the German plane and he and his co-pilot fired their pistols damaging the German plane enough that it had to make a forced landing. Whereupon they landed and took the Germans prisoner. I don't know where they put them since the MISS ME only had 2 seats.
Mark Anderson wrote: "In regards to the duel of two spotter aircraft doing battle during the last days of WW2, Cornelius Ryan wrote of the incident in his book Last Battle. While enroute to scout the area around Berlin Lts. Duane Francies and William Martin, in the last "dogfight" between Americans and Germans in WW2, took on a Fieseler "Storch" under pistolfire from their L-4 Cub, forced the Storch to crash land and its two occupants to be captured by an American troop convoy which had watched the action from below. The above account was also verified to me by correspondence from Mr. Martin in 2003."

After reading this I decided 'MISS ME!?' would be the aircraft I'd like to represent as its such a great tribute to the L4 cub and the men that flew them in WW2.

Trouble is I'm find next to nothing in the way of photo reference to the plane its self except for the ' Burt Mader painting depicting the event. Unfortunately, with the angle of the subject, I can only make out the codes on the fuzz side as being 'J 54' and I have a feeling the name given to the cub 'MISS ME!?' by Francies would be painted on the cub in some form of nose art too.

But as it is I'm pretty much stuck now. I know of the book 'THE FIGHTING GRASSHOPPERS-US LIAISON AIRCRAFT', but again can not find any reference to miss me being contained in it. But I don't have the book, have any of you guy's? Do you know if it has any pictures of Francies's Cub, or is there some elsewhere?

Any info on the markings of the plane itself would be greatly received. I hope to make the decals up for the vinyl cutter next weekend, and I'd like to take as much of the guess work out as possible.

Here's my little progress thus far:
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:00 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,996 Posts
Can't say as I have any pics of your particular subject, but I do have a bunch of detail pics of a couple L-4s. I've a BUSA J-3 that I intend to "militarize" during the build, and I shot the pics with that in mind.

If you wish to trick out your L-4 and need some detail pics, let me know!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Aug 21, 2009, 06:14 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,678 Posts
Hey James, thank you for the offer, but I do already have cub pic etc. Specifically I was wondering if anybody had any images or reference of 'MISS ME!?'. But again, thanks for the offer.

Anyone else?

S.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2009, 09:26 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,874 Posts
I had wondered that myself, and after researching it for a while I came up with nothing... so I just made something up (nose art). I sent Callie a picture of a typical "babe" of the era pulling up her skirt to fan the flames of a BBQ grille as the hamburgers were burning, but had her cut out the BBQ grill and made it look like she was lifting up her skirt to dodge a bullet. She added a little bullet that goes whizzing by...Miss(ed) Me and Miss (Ms.), Me If you are curious as to what it looked like, have Callie send you a picture, my decal is buried somewhere with the kit. I had it scaled for the Pat Tritle kit, but she can size it up if you like it. I had her do the entire graphics set (US ARMY, J-54, Stars 'n Bars, etc.)

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Last edited by steve1814; Aug 21, 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 06:25 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,678 Posts
Hey steve, that sounds interesting. Would you mind emailing me a copy of your original file. Then I can make them up myself from them. I'd be tempted to go with callie, but I'll need the decals ready and with me within 2 weeks, and I can't be sure of that what with them needing to come from over the pond the the UK and all.

But yes. I'd be very interested to see what you came up with. Do you know what scale you had them sized to? If you could pm me your details, perhaps I can email callie direct about the file if you no longer have it.

Regards

Stuart.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 22, 2009, 07:20 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,285 Posts
Hey Stuart that is a beautiful subject you are doing and was wondering what kit you are using for the L-4. Thanks so much......

Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Aug 22, 2009, 07:33 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,678 Posts
Hi greg, its Hanger 9 ARTF J3 cub, Stripped off the original yellow and am now taking it from there. The airframe is nicely built and basically close to scale, so it lends its self well to this kind of bashing.

Stuart.
Site Sponsor