HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:36 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Discussion
What is Fan Fold Foam?

I see that home depot and lowes sell it, but what is it exactly? What do I ask for if I cant find it?
helivsFMX is offline Find More Posts by helivsFMX
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:43 PM
A&P Mechanic
San Antonio
Joined Mar 2005
326 Posts
Its blue foam that is in a bundle 2x4' and about 8 inches thick. When opened up it opens like a hand held fan -----------> WWWWWW each leg of the w is 2x4

Its called protection board III
may-day is offline Find More Posts by may-day
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:54 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
What may-day said.
The blue foam consists of quarter-inch thick sheets, 2 feet by 4 feet, fifty feet long, folded in a 2x4 foot bundle, about 8 inches thick (folded).
One sheet can easily build a plane.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:12 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
ok sweet thanks guys. I'm gonna stop by lowes on the way home.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:34 AM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
So Lowes near me sells it. Home Depot doesnt. Is there anywhere other than lowes that sells it but not like 600foot of it? Im looking to make A plane. not 100. Any ideas?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 03:40 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
As far as I know FFF only comes in fifty foot bundles, folded into 25 sheets.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Aug 21, 2009, 06:00 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,988 Posts
If your Lowes has it, buy it, around here the Lowes stores have discontinued it and replaced it with some crumbly green stuff with their Lowes logo on it.

Your other option for lower quantity is Depron or EPP from one of the suppliers or Foam board from the craft type stores and then remove the paper (did it once, never again )

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:26 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr
Your other option for lower quantity is Depron or EPP from one of the suppliers or Foam board from the craft type stores and then remove the paper (did it once, never again )
Azarr
Ouch

EPP between Dupron and foam board is not really fair.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:52 AM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Well my brother works at a place called TechLite. They do foam insulation, and carry all kinds of stuff. So Im having him check into what he can supply. He said the spec sheet for FFF says its styrofoam with plastic on one side? Is that right?

I might just have to buy a bundle anyway because I want to build an F15 too... And 14, 16, 18, 22, ..... hahaha
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:56 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helivsFMX
Well my brother works at a place called TechLite. They do foam insulation, and carry all kinds of stuff. So Im having him check into what he can supply. He said the spec sheet for FFF says its styrofoam with plastic on one side? Is that right?

I might just have to buy a bundle anyway because I want to build an F15 too... And 14, 16, 18, 22, ..... hahaha
Protection Board III <FFF> is 1/4 inch with a single side with a stiff plastic coat. Its weak point is all the waves, looses strength on the 4 foot run direction.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:11 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
this is it right http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiteratu...romPage=GetDoc

What do you mean it loses strength in the 4ft run direction? Does that mean I shouldnt make a wingspan (30") lengthwise? Is there anything else I should know?

Do you guys just cut it with an exacto knife? or hot wire? Does the foam lose strength if you peel the plastic coat off?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 01:09 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,859 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775020 Lots of info on the stuff on this thread, as well as comparisons to other foam types. If your brother works at an insulation place, he might be able to get scraps that will get your started. I built my first plane with pink foam (Owens corning version of fff) scrounged from a dumpster! Also, if he can get it and you want to pop for a full bundle, try the High Performance LF Styrofoam fff. it's got skin on both sides, perfect for profile foamies. The skin adds lots of strength and stiffness for it's weight. The process of adding the skin in the fff manufacture seems to densify the outer layer of the foam, which also adds thickness.

The "loses strength in long direction" just means that the panels have a "grain" slightly stiffer in one direction than the other. I generally make wings the long (4') direction as the waves look (more or less) like the ribs in real planes.

If you are really nervous about getting too much foam, then try the dollar store foam first. hassle to get paper off, but for a one off first try to see if you really want to scratch build, it may be worth it
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:33 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helivsFMX
What do you mean it loses strength in the 4ft run direction? Does that mean I shouldnt make a wingspan (30") lengthwise? Is there anything else I should know?

Do you guys just cut it with an exacto knife? or hot wire? Does the foam lose strength if you peel the plastic coat off?
Springer is spot on, however there is another way to look at it.

While the wave look good like ribs, the wave cause the thickness to go from 1/4 to near or below 3/16. You can roll the foam in a barrel the 4 foot way, but the 2 foot way it has much more resistance.

To get a stronger wing, I make sure the thickest part of the foam runs along the CG area of the wing, it sort of makes an airfoil, kinda This limits you to 2 foot and often a 2 piece wing.

I did some testing on WaterDog's STS high wing 43 inch, really big difference depending on the direction run.

You can wing the 4 foot direction as springer mentioned, Adding carbon fiber, KF Step airfoils and such to stiffen things up.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:27 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
quarter in? I measured mine and its 3/16's
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:42 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Well I bought a bundle... So Im officially starting my simple corsair plane... Cutting out the template now. Cutting this accurately sucks! haha