SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:07 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
That's pretty slick man. I like the nose light.

I was surprised how much the white beacon reflected off the plane in the turtle deck area. With the plane in the air I can still see it flash and it really helps in a roll to make sure I am right side up LOL!
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:29 PM
GARNER NC
Joined Apr 2009
451 Posts
Hey everyone
I got my 350mah batteries from Hobbypartz.com. Not what I expected The photo on there web site is misleading. They are a lot larger then what they look. Also there are no jst plugs on them. There size is 0.8wx0.2hx1.4l weight is 8.3g. Kind of heavy. What is the weight and size of the 240mah batteries? Here are some pics. for comparison to a PZ 120mah battery.

Keep em flying
Kevin
kunclebuc is offline Find More Posts by kunclebuc
Last edited by kunclebuc; Oct 23, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:10 PM
Let the vortex pull my weight.
Joined Aug 2009
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk
So do the guns just come on randomly or is there some programing of the lights in the way they work?
http://flightlights.net/prod-rchelp.html?keepThis=true&

If a Tiny Brite Lights set IS NOT RC Controlled, the light set turns on as soon as the receiver is powered.

If a Tiny Brite Lights set IS RC Controlled, you will have the ability to control the light set using your transmitter. Our light sets are programmed to read the whether a switch, dial or stick is turned on or off, as well as the percentage, or "step," that the control is at.

Explanation of Control "Steps"

The LED controller within each RC controllable set has 4 distinct “steps” that are related to the percentage on the control RX channel ("switch / dial / stick" position):

Control "Step" Average Percentage Example Behaviour
#1 (0% - 25%): All Lights Off or Selected Lights On
#2 (25% -50%): Selected Lights On
#3 (50% - 75%) Selected Lights On
#4 (75% - 100%) All Lights On

For example, lets take a look at one of our Deluxe light sets.

A Deluxe light set has 1 Red LED and 1 Green LED, a Strobing White LED for the tail, as well as 2 White landing LEDs and 1 White Spot LED. For this example we'll say that this set has been plugged into a spare channel that is linked to the shoulder dial (this is commmonly found on the Blade CX/2 transmitter).

When you turn the Shoulder Dial a 25% of the way up the Red LEDs will turn on. At 50% up the the Green LEDs also turn on. Finally when the Shoulder Dial is turned 75% of the way up the White LED also turns on.

Step 1 | Red & Green LEDs On
Step 2 | + Strobing White Tail LED On
Step 3 | + White Landing LEDs On
Step 4 | + White Spot LED on
Hasek is offline Find More Posts by Hasek
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:31 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax
Lights never turned of on the plane in WWII.
Sorry, the planes didn't fly close formation over enemy territory and they didn't have their nav lights on according to a pilot friend of mine. Running into each other would have been the least of their worries. They did have a dim setting that could be used for brief messaging flickers. Flying with nav lights ON would give the enemy #1 counts, #2 direction and #3 a pretty good idea of altitude by how far apart the red/green lights appeared. The idea of attacking at night is so the enemy doesn't see you coming.

Maybe yours were ON but these are some historical examples I could find of why you wouldn't:

Flying a 9. Staffel Messerschmitt, Fw. Wilhelm Stillger shot down two Lancasters over Frankfurt. Stillger's nerves had been sorely tested during this sortie. Having entered the circuit over the airfield at Wiesbaden, he orbited for some ten minutes, coming under fire from a twin-engine Messerschmitt 110, having inadvertently left his navigation lights on. He finally put his undamaged 109 down at 23:06 and promptly forgot to lower his undercarriage. The pilot, with a slight wound to his face, climbed out of an aircraft with 40% damage.

Example #2:

On 18 July, a British offensive counterair night fighter suddenly attacked the base. The lights of the base were still on, regardless of the alarm, because two Gothas of the German night fighter pilot course were still airborne with their navigation lights on.

The, obviously very professional, British night fighter pilot saw them, and shot both down; one started to burn and crashed in a forested area, while the wounded pilot of the other aircraft was able to make an emergency landing at the airbase.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could blather on but you get the idea (I hope). They flew dark during battle which is when, presumably, they would need to use their guns.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:44 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Yeah as I researched it more for myself I found that same info. I learned that they have several switches to dim the lights and set blinking configurations to identify themselves as allies. Some lights got so hot that when sitting still on the ground they would burn through their plastic casing in 30 seconds. I am just so used to seeing planes land and take off and in the shows be it history channel or some movie they seem to always be on.

So I learned something new tonight. However the lights are still the coolest. At night if you flip them off to fire your guns your screwed because you will loose your plane during programmed blips. During the day its no more than a noticeable color. Besides if I was worried about scale I would of flipped over the airfoil of the wing. I think you will enjoy them regardless of its scale inaccuracy. It added a whole new level of fun to this hobby for me.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:53 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Yeah as I researched it more for myself I found that same info. I learned that they have several switches to dim the lights and set blinking configurations to identify themselves as allies. Some lights got so hot that when sitting still on the ground they would burn through their plastic casing in 30 seconds.

So I learned something new tonight. However the lights are still the coolest. At night if you flip them off to fire your guns your screwed because you will loose your plane during programmed blips. During the day its no more than a noticeable color. Besides if I was worried about scale I would of flipped over the airfoil of the wing. I think you will enjoy them regardless of its scale inaccuracy. It added a whole new level of fun to this hobby for me.
I agree I would like them and they are VERY cool. The only thing I've asked for is an expansion of the programming options so they could work like they do now plus add two more steps. #5 all lights off, #6 guns (this would require them changing the programmed travel percentages to fit in 6 steps. Then we could all be happy and when I'm outside flying on a cloudy day I can fire my guns without having the nav lights on. And when I'm inside flying in the semi-dark at the local gym and I have to have my nav lights on to see the plane that will work too.

Now if the steps are currently programmable by the user I may already be happy but I didn't see that they were when looking at their web site. Maybe someone that has them can help me learn something new too.

Question - Are the steps fixed as to what outputs come on at the various settings or is there a way to select which lights come on at each step point?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:58 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
I take it you have a dial.

I only have a flaps switch so even if they expanded I couldn't utilize it.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:10 AM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Quote:
Strobe goes on the turtle deck.

Pilots put it in the tail for easier directional recognition when flying but in the real world it was on the turtle deck.
Been doing a little research and the white blinking light goes in the lower trailing edge of the rudder. That's right in the rudder.
If you look close in this video you can see it wile it's landing.
P-51 Mustang takeoff, flyby, landing and shutdown (2 min 2 sec)

And the landing light gose in the left wheel well.
Sam
in Virginia
sverlander is offline Find More Posts by sverlander
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:33 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Eh so that's twice I was wrong tonight. Looks better on the Turtle Deck though. I know there were several planes with them there I just can't remember and I thought the P-51 was one of them. Oh well.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:15 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
I take it you have a dial.

I only have a flaps switch so even if they expanded I couldn't utilize it.
Nope. Don't have a dial. I would just change the settings depending on where I was going to be flying and what lights I wanted on or set up two model memories and choose the appropriate one for inside or outside. Then I would set the servo travel points in the model memory to select the lights I wanted depending on the flying venue.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:33 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunclebuc
Hey everyone
I got my 350mah batteries from Hobbypartz.com. Not what I expected The photo on there web site is misleading. They are a lot larger then what they look. Also there are no jst plugs on them. There size is 0.8wx0.2hx1.4l weight is 8.3g. Kind of heavy. What is the weight and size of the 240mah batteries? Here are some pics. for comparison to a PZ 120mah battery.

Keep em flying
Kevin
I weighed my hyps at 8gr with a micro deans and some heat shrink tubing. My PZ 120's were 4gr.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:50 AM
GARNER NC
Joined Apr 2009
451 Posts
BigGuyJT How does your plane fly with the extra weight? Also does anyone know where to find the jst-xh plugs that will fit the p-51? I don't want to change the plug on the plane.

Thanks
Kevin
kunclebuc is offline Find More Posts by kunclebuc
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:52 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunclebuc
BigGuyJT How does your plane fly with the extra weight? Also does anyone know where to find the jst-xh plugs that will fit the p-51? I don't want to change the plug on the plane.

Thanks
Kevin
It flies great. The extra power you get out of the 25c battery makes a world of difference. I just need to do some trimming on the battery tray so it will sit flush.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:55 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
I just installed a set of Tiny Brites on my Sukhoi. I can Turn them all off, turn on red, green, rear strobe, and then the landing light so 3 functions. I'm using the Gear and Flap switch. There is also a way to make the red, green act like strobes as well. I got the #3080 kit and its nice. I embedded the red, green LED's inside the wing so it can be seen from both sides..Reme was the first to do that and it works. I just got in from a night flight and I'm totally impressed with these lights. I will post pics later in the Sukhoi thread.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Oct 24, 2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:56 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
I just installed a set of Tiny Brites on my Sukhoi. I can Turn them all off, turn on red, green, rear strobe, and then the landing light so 3 functions. There is also a way to make the red, green act like strobes as well. I got the #3031 kit and its nice. I embedded the red, green LED's in the wind so it can be seen from both sides..Reme was the first to do that and it works. I just got in from a night flight and I'm totally impressed with these lights. I will post pics later in the Sukhoi thread.
Please do. Im interested in them as well.