HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2009, 09:34 AM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Can someone with a "good" gearbox meshing or someone getting 6 min flights post a video of spinning the prop by hand so we can see what it should look like and how much it should spin when given a flick?
Thanks to modfly for the video of a bad one.
I'm getting about 3 min. flights and I'm not running WOT much. I've never been able to break the 4 min. mark yet.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2009, 09:37 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUsurfer
Why would his post be offensive?

It's all a matter of perspective.

The people without problems hear that Horizon has addressed it, and there are not nearly as many legitimate problems as people are trying to claim.

The folks with problems are hearing, there's lots of people that aren't having problems, so shut up and stop whining.

Depending on which side you're on, determines whether or not you'll be offended.

I for one am looking forward to putting some test flights on mine. It should be arriving today while I am at work, the tests will be tomorrow, weather permitting.
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Oct 06, 2009, 09:58 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworks2006
Can someone with a "good" gearbox meshing or someone getting 6 min flights post a video of spinning the prop by hand so we can see what it should look like and how much it should spin when given a flick?
I'm getting about 3 min. flights and I'm not running WOT much. I've never been able to break the 4 min. mark yet.

Ditto- this would be helpful.

Mine seemed to turn fine when I spin it with my finger but I get soft LVC pulsing almost right away on a fresh pack.

It still flies for ~4 minutes though despite the pulsing.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:26 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey
It's all a matter of perspective.

The people without problems hear that Horizon has addressed it, and there are not nearly as many legitimate problems as people are trying to claim.

The folks with problems are hearing, there's lots of people that aren't having problems, so shut up and stop whining.
Depending on which side you're on, determines whether or not you'll be offended.

I for one am looking forward to putting some test flights on mine. It should be arriving today while I am at work, the tests will be tomorrow, weather permitting.

Enjoyed it FM!

I always get a bit 'offended' when I feel a 'bit of a bash' against RCG.

""" The forums are a great way to share information, and to try and get some help when Product Support is closed on the weekend. But they also tend to magnify problems so they appear greater or more widespread than they really are. Plus, there's a lot of well-intentioned but bad intel out there on any subject you want to select. Tracking down and correcting every error on the internet is a fool's errand. """

Ever since the Greg Hahn (To Web crawlers and other bottom feeders) article I have been a bit sensitive.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/APR08/michael.htm

I'm way passionate about this hobby!
My whole life has been a RC addiction.
I spent months digging through mags as a kid just trying to learn what a trim lever was for on a tx. If only I had RCG back then.

Horizon, ya just got to take the bad with the good.
I feel that people praise your products just as much.

Time to fly...

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:28 AM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey
Well with all due respect, I don't think that's what he said.

He basically said that pulsing is normal after a 6 minute flight. If you are having pulsing earlier than that with a stock battery, then call them. They'll take care of you.

Maybe you or others having problems are mad about it, and are reading words and a tone that aren't there... (I think there's a Saturday Night Live skit about that somewhere... ) -But "shut up and stop whining" was definitely nowhere in there.

Now pardon me as I scour youtube for that SNL skit.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:29 AM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
I'm uploading a video to Youtube now, should be available in a few minutes, then I'll update with the url.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:32 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUsurfer
Well with all due respect, I don't think that's what he said.

All due respect back at you. Note that I said, "the folks with the problems are hearing", not, "what Dave said."

I love the "with all due respect." It's like the no offense clause.

You know you're about to be offended, but, you can't take offense, because they said, "no offense".

Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:35 AM
Regina, SK
Joined Nov 2006
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob00
im pretty sure the many ones who reported a pulsing after less than 1 min are right. then again until they are sure of what is the problem horizon can only provide support on a per customer basis (= you need to call their support)

if they get more than a few cases they'll probably make a recall or whatever. But it seems this is a problem with only a few units. With time maybe they'll figure out the cause.
As I posted in the Sukhoi thread. If I fly my sukhoi with a 5043 prop in a stiff breeze, the motor pulses. Quite possibly the wind could be causing just a bit more load on the power system? When I fly in calm or light breeze conditions, there is no motor pulsing. This has happened with different batteries. The prop on my sukhoi spins very freely.

Rob
Rob_G is offline Find More Posts by Rob_G
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:39 AM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworks2006

Here you go, just made this:

Parkzone UM P-51 freespinning prop (0 min 16 sec)

I can't say if that is "normal" or not, so if yours doesn't spin like that it's not necessarily a problem. Just showing how mine spins, and I have not had any LVC/flight time issues with it.

Excuse the messy workstation
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:52 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G
As I posted in the Sukhoi thread. If I fly my sukhoi with a 5043 prop in a stiff breeze, the motor pulses. Quite possibly the wind could be causing just a bit more load on the power system? When I fly in calm or light breeze conditions, there is no motor pulsing. This has happened with different batteries. The prop on my sukhoi spins very freely.

Rob
ive a sukhoi with a 5043 as well and flew it in winds i rly shouldn't have without any motor troubles except minor crashes landings i guess !
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Oct 06, 2009, 11:02 AM
Salvaging heli parts...Again?
Joined Aug 2008
104 Posts
Thanks for putting up the video. FWIW, my prop/gearbox is roughly just like that too.

From my flying experience, a mix of 100% burst and 25%-40% cruising and practicing landing manuevers, I'm usually getting mild signs of the pulsing from the SLVC at 3.5 minutes and it can usually suppressed by giving it a bit more throttle, to when it is really insistent at around 5 minute mark where I usually land for good, shutdown and switch battery. BTW, I've been running the crappy Tenergy 130mah batteries and they've seemed to be puffing up a bit too (but that is whole other problem), I've been saving the stock battery so I haven't got any data on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild
Here you go, just made this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMSsbum8hOI

I can't say if that is "normal" or not, so if yours doesn't spin like that it's not necessarily a problem. Just showing how mine spins, and I have not had any LVC/flight time issues with it.

Excuse the messy workstation
g35xfun is offline Find More Posts by g35xfun
Old Oct 06, 2009, 11:10 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,424 Posts
1) It's the batts fault.
2) It's the chargers fault.
3) It's WWIIs fault.
4) Blame it on the ostrich.
5) It's normal.
6) We are Great!

rc

This week at Horizon.
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2009, 11:29 AM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2006
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild
Anyway, here are the settings I use on my DX6i:

Travel adjustments
Throttle 125%
All others 100%
Throttle at 125%? Are you saying you get more power this way than with the default adjustment?
ssstraub is offline Find More Posts by ssstraub
Old Oct 06, 2009, 11:37 AM
Salvaging heli parts...Again?
Joined Aug 2008
104 Posts
No Model Match on AR6400? i.e. Micro P51D and SU-26M

For context, refer to:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=761

I did a few more experiments, and since I had 2 transmitters from my RTF mCX and mSR, in addition to the DX6i where I encountered the original weirdness, I decide to try a few binding experiments. And it was quite surprising to find I was able to bind the su-26m, p51d, mCX, and mSR all to one single MLP4DSM and control all of them, individually or simultaneously, (not that you'd want to fly in such crazy gaggle or birds off one controller at the same time). And all I did was to bind one after the other, following the binding procedure to the transmitter. Is this what is supposed to happen? Whatever to the model match protection scheme?

BTW, a good thing to note was that a single craft can not be bound to two transmitters at a time.
g35xfun is offline Find More Posts by g35xfun
Old Oct 06, 2009, 12:18 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g35xfun
For context, refer to:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=761

I did a few more experiments, and since I had 2 transmitters from my RTF mCX and mSR, in addition to the DX6i where I encountered the original weirdness, I decide to try a few binding experiments. And it was quite surprising to find I was able to bind the su-26m, p51d, mCX, and mSR all to one single MLP4DSM and control all of them, individually or simultaneously, (not that you'd want to fly in such crazy gaggle or birds off one controller at the same time). And all I did was to bind one after the other, following the binding procedure to the transmitter. Is this what is supposed to happen? Whatever to the model match protection scheme?

BTW, a good thing to note was that a single craft can not be bound to two transmitters at a time.

Nothing weird about that. That is normal and actually has nothing to do with model match.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly