Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
how does it fly with that prop?
B...I'll fly it tomorrow morning and we'll find out. The Spit prop is smaller and has thinner blades then my homemade 4 blade and pulls alot more rpms so the right now it seems to be a worth while swap.

From what I read on the UM forums the stock spit is a bit slower then the stock P-51....mainly because it's heavier, but im sure the 4 blade will loose some rpms and add to it's slower speed....but in return we wil gain thrust and a cool looking prop.
I am anxious to see the flight time with the spit prop....I know my home made 4 blade was good for about 4 minutes of full power....but noticably slower then the stock 2 blade.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:57 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
B...I'll fly it tomorrow morning and we'll find out. The Spit prop is smaller and has thinner blades then my homemade 4 blade and pulls alot more rpms so the right now it seems to be a worth while swap.

From what I read on the UM forums the stock spit is a bit slower then the stock P-51....mainly because it's heavier, but im sure the 4 blade will loose some rpms and add to it's slower speed....but in return we wil gain thrust and a cool looking prop.
I am anxious to see the flight time with the spit prop....I know my home made 4 blade was good for about 4 minutes of full power....but noticably slower then the stock 2 blade.
I got mine to fit with a prop adapter instead As I dont have any fancy tools such as drill bits ( ) I used a combination of progressively larger screwdrivers and hex bits to bore out the hole. The prop adapter is in backwards but it is a very tight fit, however I used some CA for extra insurance.

My initial thoughts are that the 4 blade prop runs at a higher rpm than my 5030, I dont have any equipment to test it but it sounds faster. Also with the 5030 my Mustang wants to leap out of my hands, but the spitfire prop seems like it doesnt have as much thrust. I think my Mustang will run faster with this prop but at the expense of vertical performance.

I could be wrong, these are just my initial thoughts, the proof will be in the flight
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:13 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
My initial thoughts are that the 4 blade prop runs at a higher rpm than my 5030, I dont have any equipment to test it but it sounds faster. Also with the 5030 my Mustang wants to leap out of my hands, but the spitfire prop seems like it doesnt have as much thrust. I think my Mustang will run faster with this prop but at the expense of vertical performance.

I could be wrong, these are just my initial thoughts, the proof will be in the flight
V...I don't usually modify micros, so im not exactly sure how to test static pitch speed without a given pitch # to compare the 2 blade vs the 4 blade as we do on the larger aircraft.

I can easily test rpms, but not knowing the pitch to calculate pitch speed....any thoughts on that...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:07 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,391 Posts
Quote:

V....I had to read up on micro props and see how there rated as I didn't understand the prop size of your 5030 as opposed to the 100X100 of the Spit prop.

Your 5030 has a 5" diameter and a 3" pitch.

I tested the RPM's of the stock P-51 130X70mm 2 blade and the 100X100mm 4 blade using a hanger 9 optical tach gage that can test 2, 3 and 4 blade props.

results were interesting as this is only calculated pitch speed from rpms.

The stock 2 blade p-51 prop 130X70mm (5.1"X2.7") turned 7000 rpms...calculated pitch speed 18 mph
The Spit 4 blade prop 100X100mm (3.9"X3.9") turned 6700 rpms...calculated pitch speed 24mph.

The smaller diameter 4 blade turns less rpms then the larger daimeter stock 2 blade, but with increased pitch the 4 blade it easily out performs the stock 2 blade in testing on a fully charged battery....I have no way to test amp draw because you know the 4 blade with more pitch will draw the battery down much faster......so now im curious to see if there is a noticable difference in level flight speed with a fully charged lipo....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by LICobra; Dec 02, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,366 Posts
cool stuff man, and kinda goes with my Spit when I tried a P-51 prop on it..
we were thinking it would be better, the the pitch on the Spit prop is awesome!
my Spit felt less sporty in the air with the P-51 prop
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:21 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,391 Posts
Quote:
cool stuff man, and kinda goes with my Spit when I tried a P-51 prop on it..
we were thinking it would be better, the the pitch on the Spit prop is awesome!
my Spit felt less sporty in the air with the P-51 prop
B55...I like all the calculations...it's a cool part of the hobby.....I guess you saw it first flying the spit with the p-51 prop...it seems the prop test verifies the difference.

I went to an indoor flying session today and the P-51 4 blade is noticably faster...how much faster I couldn't say, because the gym ( the size of a basketball court) we were flying in was small and reaching full speed was difficult. I need to fly side by side with my buddies T-28 to see how much faster it actually is.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,366 Posts
Sounds like I need to mount a Spit prop on my P-51
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Oct 2012
38 Posts
I just picked up a Parkzone Ultra-Micro Spitfire. I noticed a few of the attached foam aileron hinges arent attached. There is tape on the underside of the aileron but should I be concerned or do these eventually just tear anyways?

If so, should I put a small tab of tape on the topside of the hinge as well as the bottom or just leave the botton tape on only? I dont want to create too much resistance.
Captain50 is offline Find More Posts by Captain50
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:12 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain50 View Post
I just picked up a Parkzone Ultra-Micro Spitfire. I noticed a few of the attached foam aileron hinges arent attached. There is tape on the underside of the aileron but should I be concerned or do these eventually just tear anyways?

If so, should I put a small tab of tape on the topside of the hinge as well as the bottom or just leave the botton tape on only? I dont want to create too much resistance.
Adding more tape can hinder the action of the ailerons, I cracked one of my mustangs outer aileron foam hinges so I added a little tape to hold it down again. However the tip of my aileron doesnt really move any more I even taped it when the aileron was at full travel
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:55 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,555 Posts
Just tested my P-51 with the spitfire prop and spinner, and.........

As I suspected my P-51 was faster but it had less thrust for vertical performance. Slow flight characteristics seemed to have improved too, and the turning radius seemed smaller as well (I dont really understand why though )

All in all it is a great mod

Edit: I just reviewed the flight footage I took, I have 2 vids, 1 for each battery and theyre 20mins each Yeah there was some crash recoveries and a chat with a pesky spectator, however there is at least 15mins + of actual flight on each vid Not bad considering it was 1c. The nano-tech 260mah 2s 35-70c batteries split into 2 separate 1s packs are simply fantastic, 5 times longer flights compared to the stock 120mah 1s's, and Im sure if I did a half stick flight on a warm day Id get 20mins + with them

People call the Spitfire props LIPO killers, but I have to disagree going by my loooong flights.

EDIT AGAIN: Should I upload some footage, I can upload a full unedited 20 min movie to prove the flight times, or I can take the best parts from each vid and slap em together, its up to you guys
Last edited by valiantGLX; Dec 17, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3,366 Posts
I say yes please on the video
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:09 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,555 Posts
Quote:
I say yes please on the video
I'll just do the best footage edit at first, because each vid is 1.7gb and to upload 1.7gb will take forever. But if you guys want proof of the extraordinary long flights I'll be happy to upload them later

EDIT: here it is

1. Slow & low flying - 00:37 (extremely low - 04:15)
2. Fast flying + aerobatics - 05:14
3. Oh s*** moments - 10:38
4. Pesky old spectator - 11:42

UM P51 Mustang with Spitfire prop and 260mah lipo.avi (0 min 0 sec)
Last edited by valiantGLX; Dec 17, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, NC, Pilot Mountain
Joined Oct 2011
171 Posts
I just built one of these little mustangs using my T-28 as a donor. Actually it only donated its Aileron servo and it could easily be back in the air.

But, I did not buy any decals because I wanted to strip it like the plane in LICobra's profile pic. At this point, it is completely naked. Its even missing the spinner. But can some of you post some pics of you appearance mods? I will likely stick green on its upper nose but everything else is undecided. There are SO many nice looking full-sized 'stangs out there to see.
Ikankrachuhmoll is offline Find More Posts by Ikankrachuhmoll
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:53 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikankrachuhmoll View Post
I just built one of these little mustangs using my T-28 as a donor. Actually it only donated its Aileron servo and it could easily be back in the air.

But, I did not buy any decals because I wanted to strip it like the plane in LICobra's profile pic. At this point, it is completely naked. Its even missing the spinner. But can some of you post some pics of you appearance mods? I will likely stick green on its upper nose but everything else is undecided. There are SO many nice looking full-sized 'stangs out there to see.
Here's some paint scheme pics of the mustangs that were in German service. Also there's some pics of my Mustang with the Spitfire prop and spinner, + how I mounted my battery inside (this makes it look so much nicer in the air + I get 15min flights).

Its been a long term dream of mine to build a mustang out of replacement parts, similar to what you have done I think. Im going to use spitfire electrics, and a Bravo SX motor, for a huge all round performance increase. Then I want to paint it in the German colours and fly at the old Templehof airport where some mustangs were actually kept and testesd.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:10 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Just tested my P-51 with the spitfire prop and spinner, and.........

As I suspected my P-51 was faster but it had less thrust for vertical performance. Slow flight characteristics seemed to have improved too, and the turning radius seemed smaller as well (I dont really understand why though )

All in all it is a great mod
V....I have to agree it is a great mod.....besides the look of a 4 blade the prop, it really does perform well.
The 4 blade with less diameter and more pitch creates less thrust, but is certainly faster in level flight as it turns less rpms.
RCG Plus Member