HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
The stock spitfire 4 blader will fit the mustang. They share the same motor gearbox, propshaft and theyre both 1s, so there shouldnt be any issues.

I have 3 4 blader's currently on the way from the UK, I even bought the spitfire spinners too. I'll post some pics when they arrive.
I have both planes and the stock spit prop's hub is much longer than the P-51
the shaft on the Spit sticks out further and the P-51 would need to be trimmed to fit
its not a drop in fit....
so that is an issue...

brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:55 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The Mustang Gearbox could be cut out and moved forward a little.

This seems like a pretty easy fix and would help with the balance. All of my Mustangs are tail heavy out of the box, and I have to put the battery all the way forward.

The Spitfire Spinner is a smaller diameter... so it needs to be mounted ever further forward and a ring behind the prop added, or more easier, a Mustang spinner be modded for 2 more blades.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:31 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
I have both planes and the stock spit prop's hub is much longer than the P-51
the shaft on the Spit sticks out further and the P-51 would need to be trimmed to fit
its not a drop in fit....
so that is an issue...

Eee! I wasnt anticipating that the mustang motor sits further back, making the shaft protrude less. I double checked and they definitely share the same motor, shaft and gearbox though.

Oh well I'll probably do as UNGN said and move the motor further forwards. In regards to the spinner, I dont really care if it is a bit smaller in diameter, as long as it does its job when the plane decides to be a garden dart
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:33 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Big difference between the 5030 vs 5043 props.
The 5030 just fans the air a bit much for me.
The 5043 really hooks-up and moves out.
Tests have shown that the 5043 draws less amps than the stock V1 Sukhoi prop.

Best and lightest mounting method I've found.
Radical RC laser cut adaptor (SKU Number:RRCPA1.5-4)...

GWS Direct & Hyper Drive Props (SKU Number:GWDD)

The wood adaptors are a press fit into the back of the prop hub.
Then you just screw the prop onto the shaft as normal.
Unscrew the new prop and adaptor and apply thin ca to the inside of the adaptor to set the treads.
My brother and I have hundreds of flights with this combo. They work excellent.

rc
Thanks for the info I will be getting more soon and how do I leave you positive feedback
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:42 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,207 Posts
Quote:
Looks good bro !
I don't think the Spit prop will fit ?
Quote:
The stock spitfire 4 blader will fit the mustang. They share the same motor gearbox, propshaft and theyre both 1s, so there shouldnt be any issues.

I have 3 4 blader's currently on the way from the UK, I even bought the spitfire spinners too. I'll post some pics when they arrive.
B...thanks, even though it's a lipo killer, atleast it looks good ...LOL...

V...My Spit 4 blade and spinner didn't arrive yet either, but hopefully your right and the Spit prop will work ok.....and if the spinner doesn't work for some reason...I'll just make the P-51 spinner fit.
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:41 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,207 Posts
Today I received my 4 blade spit prop and spinner.

To fit the prop would take some thought...because I didn't want to oper her up just to move the motor forward to extend the prop shaft

The other problem is the prop shaft hole is larger at the back side of the prop and doesn't grab the threads... the shaft has to reach through to the front of the prop as to reach the smaller diameter hole so the threads will catch...bummer.

I figured I would open up the prop shaft hole to the exact size of a (cut off) end of a plastic control rod connector and press fit it.... in the enlarged prop hole....well it worked out good and the prop is nice and tight on the prop shaft.

I didn't like the way the smaller diameter spit spiner looked... so I modified the p-51 spinner to fit.

So here it is....the only mod is to the prop and P-51 spinner
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,195 Posts
good job man!
do you have pictures showing detail for others to try this ??
thanks
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:21 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,207 Posts
Quote:
good job man!
do you have pictures showing detail for others to try this ??
thanks
B55...thank you....I don't have any pics yet, but tonight I will convert another one and take some pics along the way...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:41 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
B55...thank you....I don't have any pics yet, but tonight I will convert another one and take some pics along the way...
I look forwards to the pics, and any further info. I received my props and spinners today, I dont really like the spinners as well.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:49 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,207 Posts
spit 4 blade prop

I apologise for the out of focus shots as my camera is a POS and has a problem with close ups...but you guy's will get the idea.

Anyone who flies foamies should have an excess of spare plastic clevises, as I cut off the "barrel end" and that's what I used to insert into the back of the prop.....most plastic clevises use a .045 to .050 rod, as that works out fine because the P-51 prop shaft is a bit thicker @ .059.

I then measured the cut off clevis "barrel" as it was (.137) in diameter so I used a #29 drill bit ( .136) and drilled ( from the back of the prop towards the front) about 75% of the way through......The plastic barrel is 3/16 in length and can be pushed in so it's flush with the back of the prop.
The prop shaft will only go into the prop about half way, but there are plenty of threads to ensure a tight fit once screwed on. ...I used a .055 drill bit to open the hole to the correct size so the prop would easily screw on as the threads held tight.

Lastly I made two more cut outs in the p-51 spinner and use a touch of glue before installing....it's really not that bad at all...I probebly could have modified several props in the time it took to write this...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:54 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
I apologise for the out of focus shots as my camera is a POS and has a problem with close ups...but you guy's will get the idea.

Anyone who flies foamies should have an excess of spare plastic clevises, as I cut off the "barrel end" and that's what I used to insert into the back of the prop.....most plastic clevises use a .045 to .050 rod, as that works out fine because the P-51 prop shaft is a bit thicker @ .059.

I then measured the cut off clevis "barrel" as it was (.137) in diameter so I used a #29 drill bit ( .136) and drilled ( from the back of the prop towards the front) about 75% of the way through......The plastic barrel is 3/16 in length and can be pushed in so it's flush with the back of the prop.
The prop shaft will only go into the prop about half way, but there are plenty of threads to ensure a tight fit once screwed on. ...I used a .055 drill bit to open the hole to the correct size so the prop would easily screw on as the threads held tight.

Lastly I made two more cut outs in the p-51 spinner and use a touch of glue before installing....it's really not that bad at all...I probebly could have modified several props in the time it took to write this...
N N N I I I C C C E E E ! ! !

I might give this a crack but with a plantranco prop adapter instead
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:58 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,207 Posts
Quote:
N N N I I I C C C E E E ! ! !

I might give this a crack but with a plantranco prop adapter instead
V...thanks...im sure there's an easier way...as I just used what I had on hand...:
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,195 Posts
Awesome, thank you!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:06 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,207 Posts
Quote:
Awesome, thank you!
B...no problem...I should have taken some pics the first time I did ...LOL.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,195 Posts
how does it fly with that prop?