HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:12 AM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
I really ought to do that. I absolutely HATE my mossie. I've got a 1/4 ounce (worm) weight in it and run two parralell 160 mAh batteries in the front and it's still barely controllable, underpowered, and incredibly wind sensitive. Wonder if it still needs more weight in the nose.
My Mosquito has brought me nothing but heartache and disappointment. All it wants to do is roll over and dive for the ground. Full opposite contol inputs don't prevent that.

HH tells me that the motors are identical, just plugged in differently to rotate in different directions.

When I feel like messing with mossie I'll replace the stock motors with Nine Eagles Solo Pros (like the UM Corsair owners have been doing). Maybe that will help.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Tim - if you already have a couple 2S airplanes, I highly recommend the Mig. It's DIFFERENT in that it's an EDF, so the flight characteristics take a little getting used to, but I find it similar to the Mustang in terms of its ability to do what it's told. Just a great aircraft.
Mig is on my short list, i want to master beast first!
Been away from hobby for long time, so thumbs are slow and Old!

Having a blast though/\

Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:44 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
4 blade prop

I am new to this forum so please bare with me a bit with this question. I just bought the Parkzone mini P-51 and I'm having a ball flying. However, I would like to make it look more to scale. SO, where canI get a 4 bladed prop?
liteflyer50 is offline Find More Posts by liteflyer50
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:22 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Welcome to rcgs!

You can try the 4 blade from the umx spitfirehttp://www.horizonhobby.com/products/100-x-100mm-4-blade-propeller-EFLUP1001004B. 4 blades aren't as efficient as 2 blade, so if you want performance stay with the 2 blade.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:10 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2012
28 Posts
I bought this plane a month ago...and its only my 2nd. Love it! and baby it! It can definitely take some abuse...Had a couple of nose dives, busted the landing gear off the first day...but with a little glue and some patience you can have it back in the air in no time. It flies best in little to no wind. The range is great, and always fly on high rates. I've heard that the motor doesn't last long...and I'm assuming behind all the decals, the fuselage comes apart fairly easy.

Question....Can one get a stronger battery? That would add 10 more minutes to the flying time?
beachguy911 is offline Find More Posts by beachguy911
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:57 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
I'm not sure about adding ten minutes, but you can get 10 minutes or more...

Try a Hyperion or thunder power 250 - that's about as large a battery you want on there. You'll need to add a little more velcro to hold them because they won't fit in the slot, but that's no big deal.

If you need to open it up, get razor and slice right through the decal and tape on one side; don't try to pull any of it off. Put a little tape over the joint when done. Voila!

Because this is a warplane, people tend to push it and yes, the little motors burn out (the brushes wear out).
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Last edited by jdwolters; Aug 19, 2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
28 Posts
Took it out this morning, did a few patterns, and after 5 min it sounded like the motor was done....so I threw it back up and it started making a loud sqwaking noise...I think I was right about the motor taking a sh*t on me very soon....I'll head down to the LHS later and get some parts. Can you put a larger motor on them?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:52 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,672 Posts
can't put a larger motor on them, but you could contact RC Babel on this forum - he sells an upgraded motor - expensive, but supposed last longer and have a little more power. before you give up on your motor - mine was doing the same thing and before I replaced it, I found some small machine oil (got it for a model train) that was foam safe. I put a few drops in the motor, and it's back alive again. It won't last long, but it's still going for now!
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
28 Posts
Interesting...I'll try something like that, but I still want to replace the motor.. lol
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:20 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
You can replace the motor for not much money. You can also convert this to brushless 2S and it is a blast.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:15 AM
Joined Aug 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
You can replace the motor for not much money. You can also convert this to brushless 2S and it is a blast.

Oh cool...Might do that instead...So you can use a bigger battery too then?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:53 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
Yes, but less weight is better. My best 2S battery is 180mAh, which weighs the same as a 360mAh 1S - that's a lot. I can run win 250 2S but I don't like it as much. My smallest 2S battery, a 120mAh flies the best, but the 180 is nearly as good with longer flights. Check out this thread. There is lots of do-it-yourself plus references to a couple of kits. 1S conversions were disappointing. 2S is hapy all around.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5+xp7a+mustang
Last edited by jdwolters; Aug 23, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:11 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
Here is the little guy on 1S brushless: it looks fine, but realize that this is full throttle.

Ultra-micro P-51 brushless 1S speed demo (0 min 47 sec)

And again on 2S:

Ultra-Micro P-51 brushless 2S demo (0 min 48 sec)
Last edited by jdwolters; Aug 23, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:11 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,646 Posts
The 1S looks slower than my stock P-51, but that 2S looks really fast!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:04 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
The 1S looks slower than my stock P-51, but that 2S looks really fast!
That is correct! A direct drive 1S conversion isn't worth the trouble, but it is blast with 2S. . If you ever want to take the plunge, take a look at the link to the thread a couple of entries earlier. You can do it all yourself, but you might want to get a kit the first time around.