HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:50 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk
Oh boy I got mine up for two flights before the winds came. Yeah, some expo would be nice on those ailerons. Im flying the RTF one and yeah she's quick on aileron response, but thats cool I like it to be, I wanted it to be.

Everyone at the club field were amazed at it, and impressed at what such a little guy can do.
and its purdy
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2009, 12:26 AM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2006
190 Posts
Does anyone know of a good source for double-sided tape? I want to mount the circuit board of my Tiny Bright Lights in the fuse, but all I found was the really thin and not very strong 3M Scotch brand at Michael's. Do they have this stuff at True Value or a place like that?
ssstraub is offline Find More Posts by ssstraub
Old Oct 05, 2009, 03:23 AM
Georgia
Joined Jan 2007
240 Posts
Well I went to my local Hobbytown and picked up the little p51 and right out of the box I had a lot of issues. I charged the battery and after an hour the red light wouldn't go off. So I thought the battery had to be charged so I flew the plane, after about a min the motor began to hit the LVC. Well I knew something was up with the charger ( since the red light was still on with out a battery even being plugged up) So I took the batteries out of the charger and re installed them and the red light ceased to come on unless the battery was installed. So I charged my battery. It charged like normal and I was ready to go in about 20mins. I went to a buddies house to fly and that's where things went even more south. I took off using the landing gear and almost immediately after take off the plane did a barrel role into the ground. Broke the nose cone off but other then no damage. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I started messing with the battery. The battery wire was pushing up into the servo causing to to stick in your last position. So I fixed that by gluing the wire down. I'll get to test fly the p51 tomorrow. I did a test and at 3/4 throttle i got about a 3 min flight time. Is that normal? Well I just wanted to share my experiences with this little plane so far.
Biohazard30501 is offline Find More Posts by Biohazard30501
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:53 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard30501
[snip]
I did a test and at 3/4 throttle i got about a 3 min flight time. Is that normal? Well I just wanted to share my experiences with this little plane so far.
Since the charger gave you problems the first thing you should do is check the battery voltage to make sure that the charger really works and is reaching full charge.

I just threw my Vapor charger away. I never did get it to work right, and I have two Sukhoi's and the mSR (with four port charger) so I really didn't care that much, but I've read about a few problems with new chargers. Apparently quality control is a bit lax.

I'm awaiting two P-51's, and I'm really hoping I don't get any of the problems I keep reading about. These little high performance airplanes are a fantastic idea and I love them, but I guess they have a way to go before ALL of them fly right out of the box.

Pete (still looking forward to trying his)
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:00 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,894 Posts
This is a long thread so maybe I missed it but my question is: Can the P-51 BNF use the same transmitter as the Vapor?

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:01 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,044 Posts
yes
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Oct 05, 2009, 07:04 AM
USA, MD, North East
Joined Aug 2009
91 Posts
Yes it can use the same transmitter just can't use the transmitter for both at the same time. You'll have to bind and rebind to the new plane each time.
ofletcher is offline Find More Posts by ofletcher
Old Oct 05, 2009, 07:40 AM
Joined Sep 2009
245 Posts
Looks like I'll be waiting to see if they resolve these problems before I go and buy mine.
AvistarAddict is offline Find More Posts by AvistarAddict
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:18 AM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Yes there's issues... -But honestly guys, is there any more incidences than with the other micros? I've heard of people returning two Sukhoi's before they got a "good" one. I personally had to return my first Cessna 210, because it had a bad receiver. But the 2nd one works great, and I love it.

The difference here is Horizon Hobby has your back. Either return it to the store, or call HH. More than likely, they'll mail you a new one.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:23 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,385 Posts
So, who's going to be the one to start an official Parkzone Ultra Micro P51 thread.
So people don't have to read through 50 PAGEs of, "Is it hear yet?".
We should ask the mods to shut this one down afterwards. We could also cut and paste the RELATIVE INFO from this thread.
Anyone?
I don't actually have one yet, that's why I haven't done it.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:59 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
I had some of the surging issues with my first few flights (soft LVC cutoff early in the flight at 3/4 or more throttle), but after about 6-8 flights, it seems to be much better (non-existent). I did have some crunchy sounds develop in the gearbox after about 3 min of flight, but that hasn't occurred lately. I'm strongly leaning toward it being tight gearbox issues that have loosed up with a few flights.

You sure can cell the difference between the stock 120ma cell and a heavier 130ma cell in flight. The lighter cell is a dream to fly and you can slow it down more. Probably more due to the rearward C.G. than anything else.

I just wish the wind would stop!
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Oct 05, 2009, 10:42 AM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
I am flying the RTF because I didn't already have a DSM radio. I would think that some expo would be great. But, then again...I'll give it time to learn the sticks. Every plane is different and this one has it's own character too. I find that the low rates are more than adequate for scale and aerobatic performance. It will still pitch too fast for true scale if you mash the sticks.

I've noticed less crunch in the gearbox with more flights too. I still have some pulsing and I'm getting 4-5min flights before it slows down and pulses steady. I was ready to take it back to LHS, but I'm going to give it a bit more time before I pass verdict. If the gear box is what's causing issues and it loosens a bit, then I'll be happy.

This "little friend" is a blast to fly. As others have said, the speed envelope is great and I'm finding that flying off grass (even with LG fixed) makes every flight a bit more survivable. I don't want to fly off pavement if I can help it, but a gym floor would be fine as it won't sand it down the wing tips.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Oct 05, 2009, 10:42 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Well today's weather looks much better, and way less windy so I hope to get a couple flights in after work. This time off of pavement instead of hand launcing and flopping onto the grass for a landing. Im anxious to taxi it around to see how well it does, and a good ole ROG take-off, and a proper landing.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Oct 05, 2009, 11:00 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,690 Posts
Somebody please throw on some Tri-Flow on that greabox!

Simple fix if it works. Might be all it needs.

Awesome stuff on my um Sukhoi and helis.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2009, 11:10 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,964 Posts
Lubricant

What quieted the gears on my Sukhoi is a lubricant called Jig-A-Loo. I purchased it originally at Home Depot to quiet door hinges in my home. I have since found that it is better than silicon lube, not messy or staining like Tri-Flow or WD-40 and seems to last just as long. It has worked on gears, door hinges and just about anywhere else where a liquid lube is required.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn