HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:15 PM
Linwood NJ USA
Joined Oct 2004
1,120 Posts
No kidding , things are cheaper. so what ? You were lucky .mine didn't want to fly at all with the stock prop and cg.
So what is wrong with having the 4 port charger optional? Just include the standard charger.
mori55 is offline Find More Posts by mori55
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:29 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi

When I first flew SU26 without any mods, it was certainly nose heavy but still flew ok, but I believe the stock prop did not do it any favours and caused the planes bad performance.

Once I changed to the GWS 5030 is was remarkable how much better it flew, I also cut the battery back a little further and flew it that way until I put a little 3x1 carbon fibre accross the elevator, I am trying the gunther 5x4 prop and thats as far as I am going with any mods.
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:53 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus
I did and I have an mSR on order as of a few weeks ago. Based on my negative experience with the SU-26, I will be waiting to hear from others after this one is released before I will consider purchasing one. It looks great....
I think I'm with you there, Cactus. I ordered the Sukhoi and didn't like it at all. I promptly sold mine and while the videos of this plane look VERY promising, I think I'll wait for other reviews until I get one.

And I definitely have to have a Blade mSR....
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA comment period ends today
Old Aug 21, 2009, 03:17 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
i wish they sold the charger optionally as well
we dont need 10 1 slot chargers
maybe its too complicated for whatever they're using to make 2 different kits ( = more expensive etc on small productions usually)

that's a shame
im pretty sure if it was like $75 without charger i'd go straight for it and get the whole collection :P
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Aug 21, 2009, 03:49 PM
Memphis, TN
Joined Apr 2007
1,688 Posts
is the foam dyed all the way through or is it a paint?
Torx is offline Find More Posts by Torx
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:17 PM
Joined Jul 2008
389 Posts
I may get one of these as my first plane. Hopefully it doesnt break too fast.
coby is offline Find More Posts by coby
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:56 PM
shutup and tell me
PA
Joined Mar 2008
282 Posts
it will, if its your first plane, youll give it a 1 out of ten because
1. its lightweight styro so it will break somwhat easy
2. its hard to fly if its ANYTHING like the sukhoi
3. its small and hard to see/
JMO though if you have good experience this plane is going to be a BLAST.
Noah
mingamo2 is offline Find More Posts by mingamo2
Old Aug 21, 2009, 06:00 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coby

Not wishes to be mean but DONT DO IT, even with my years of flying experience it took me time to get my head around it.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 06:21 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcozstyle
Not wishes to be mean but DONT DO IT, even with my years of flying experience it took me time to get my head around it.
Coby says he has G4 flight simulator; I think he could do it. The Sukhoi flies just fine with no rudder coupled into turns: it is my first four channel plane and I have never had any sim time. However, I have had a ton of practice with all sorts of 2Ch and 3Ch planes, which definitely helps. (It also helps to fly the crappiest planes so you get used to tinkering, fixing, and compensating. )

Ok, I'm getting off topic here, but I think that if Coby practices with the sim a lot, and assuming this plane is a bit easier than the Sukhoi (it ships with that RTF Tx), I think he could do it. Just follow the big rules:

~No first flights in wind
AND
~Keep a good altitude

I still agree it would be better to go 3Ch, then 4Ch, but if you are on a limited budget I understand why you would want to skip that step. First things first: someone needs to get this and fly it, then report back to us!
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Old Aug 21, 2009, 06:41 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
I disagree. I have a corsair that I flew 10 times with a buddy box with 2 succesful(good looking) landings. I flew it 2 times alone with successful landings. I now have a sukhoi and this thing is a blast. Handles some hard crashes with no damage and flys great for me. I am a newb to planks and I find this plane easy to fly with low rates as setup per horizons suggestions. I also let my friend with some sim experience fly it, it was his first flight ever and he flew flawlessly with mild wind and landed safely no problem.
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:02 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coby
You keep asking about what to get and people give you good advice, then you ignore everything and get what you want even though it is an unknown quantity. It's your money.

This plane may be a bit hot for a beginner. I know the Sukhoi is. I wouldn't even let some of my experienced friends fly it without a lecture on what to watch out for.

At least have the good sense to fly it over grass. If you can keep from breaking it you may learn to fly, but you would learn faster with something that is less likely to induce that feeling of having your heart in your mouth.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:51 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
You keep asking about what to get and people give you good advice, then you ignore everything and get what you want even though it is an unknown quantity. It's your money.

This plane may be a bit hot for a beginner. I know the Sukhoi is. I wouldn't even let some of my experienced friends fly it without a lecture on what to watch out for.

At least have the good sense to fly it over grass. If you can keep from breaking it you may learn to fly, but you would learn faster with something that is less likely to induce that feeling of having your heart in your mouth.

Pete

Hi Pete

I really hope this young man can prove us wrong, But it happens all the time people ask for advise and only take the advise which supports what they wanted to do in the first place. I know I have done it in the past but, experience teaches us and this is a experience that needs to be learnt, even if it is the hard way.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:35 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,259 Posts
Buying a P-51 as your first r/c airplane is the oldest newbie mistake in the r/c book. Anyone who's been flying for more than 10 years and has been involved in a local club has probably seen a dozen hopefuls show up with a P-51 as their first airplane, then watched them splatter it all over the ground on their first or second attempt.

This Mustang is a little different in that the emotional investment (represented by dollars and/or hours building) is significantly less than in years past. Plus, the risk of losing that investment the first time you get it airborne is dramatically reduced because it's a 1-ounce airplane. However, that reduced risk still won't help you with left-right disorientation, or with an airplane that's really much faster than most newbies can handle.

As a manufacturer we do want people to buy our stuff, but we try to steer customers toward products that suit their skill level. That's why we have had 3 zones in the HobbyZone brand. That's why we labeled the Sukhoi box "For Experienced Pilots Only." In the end, people are going to buy what they want.

Coby, the best thing you can do is get an airplane that's stable and self-righting and start by mastering that airplane. That way you'll be able to learn how to deal with left-right disorientation, how an airplane responds when you go full throttle or when you chop to idle, how it feels to stall, and any number of little things that an experienced pilot doesn't even think about any more.

Horizon has several different options for this kind of airplane. In HobbyZone I'd recommend the Mini Super Cub or the Super Cub LP. In ParkZone the Ember 2 can work great for this purpose, although we don't market it that way. The micro Cessna and Citabria are no longer available, but if you find either one on the dealer shelf, it can also serve this purpose. Once you've mastered the basics of flying, the P-51 will work fine as a second airplane.

The only counterpoint to this argument is that the video game generation seems to be better at picking up flying skills quickly. With some sim time, you might actually have some success with the P-51, but it's a longshot.

David
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:52 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,639 Posts
I am ready to order.....
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:53 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Ah, true Dave. Perhaps I should retract that last statement I made.

I got into the Sukhoi after flying random RC planes 4 years. You guys are right, I was wrong. Learning to fly for me was a lot of trial, error, and fixing. This hobby teaches you to fix for sure. I came in just before the first Aero Aces were rolling out, so I had some good toys to learn the basics. If you have a little cash, a 3 channel plane is the way to start.

However, let me just jump in for Coby's point of view, if he really is a younger flier. This hobby is not cheap at all; it took me 2 years to get my first "real" RC plane, an Easy Star as a birthday gift. Getting a three channel plane will be taking his funds that he may not get for a long time, and then slow down the arrival of his first four channel plane. He's eager, and you can't blame him. They don't look hard to fly; a man came by and asked me where to get the Sukhoi today. I told him if it was his first he would have better luck with an Ember or Vapor, to which he responded, "They [the Sukhoi] don't look that hard to fly." To me it isn't, but then I thought about a newcomer trying this out and could see the bad outcome, so I hope I talked him out of it.

There is, however, a time to make a jump. A jump to ailerons, a jump to 4 channels. And at that jump, no matter what, you'll get a fluttery heart. But if you did the stage before correctly, you'll be ready. The Ember and Vapor are still available, trust me that P-51 will be too.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico