SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2009, 03:24 PM
Full throttle and supersonic!
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2009
935 Posts
For anyone that is looking for a website that has the P-51 in stock, check out Hobbyzone.

http://hobbyzone.com/
Admiral14 is offline Find More Posts by Admiral14
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2009, 03:27 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworks2006
Hey guys,
I saw a charger somewhere that can charge 4 batteries at once by connecting it to an existing charger. It is pretty inexpensive too. I thought it was a hobbycity/hobbyking product.
I'm NOT talking about the parkzone one. It was a pcb board with 4 ports that ran off the power of a different charger. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
This one:
http://www.tmenet.com/Ultramicroadapter.htm
Vicarious is offline Find More Posts by Vicarious
Old Oct 02, 2009, 03:34 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Thanks, Vicarious. That looks like the one I was looking for. I could not find one on HC's website. Maybe I came across it elsewhere. Thanks.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Oct 02, 2009, 04:10 PM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coby
Are the wings pretty durable? They seem thin.
Yes, pretty good (given the light weight of the plane) - they seem stronger than the Sukhoi's
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
Old Oct 02, 2009, 04:44 PM
Joined Jul 2008
389 Posts
Sweet. Im going to go get 2 of the BNFs in 2 hours.
coby is offline Find More Posts by coby
Old Oct 02, 2009, 04:48 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,591 Posts
Need to find some matching paint but I made some gear doors for it.
BigGuyJT is online now Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Oct 02, 2009, 04:56 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,876 Posts
Just got word that mine is on the way via FedEx
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 02, 2009, 05:13 PM
Joined Mar 2009
17 Posts
Very tight loops. Rolls are significantly slower than the sukhoi's. Very stable, lots of power. Can fly straight up for quite some time. I recommend putting some tape over the spinner, as it'll be the first thing to go. Foam gets grated off easily, but with one layer of tape it slides without any damage. All in all an excellent plane.
bartamues is offline Find More Posts by bartamues
Old Oct 02, 2009, 05:37 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefisherking
So my lovely P-51 Mustang arrived in the post today :-) … should have been here yesterday, but there were postal delays :-(

I have been flying the Sukhoi for some weeks now, so I can make a few comparisons and initial impressions if interested? ;-)

It was a bit too windy for a maiden flight today… so I waited 5 minutes and took it out anyway :-o The little P-51 seems to have more thrust than the Sukhoi with the stock prop, but less than the Sukhoi on the GWS 5043 prop to which everyone upgrades. I would have guessed that the P51 has the same motor as the Sukhoi, but with a more suitable prop as stock. (From the post above I gather it is a different motor but from my pov it is very similar.)

Not sure of the right terminology, but there is much more bias towards positive lift. What I mean by that is that when you pull back the plane climbs and goes easily into a loop or multiple loops from level flight. That is not the same if the plane is inverted – it is not keen to do an inverted loop. Even flying inverted feels a *little* like doing it in trainer with dihedral wings. I am absolutely NOT saying you can’t fly inverted, only that it is not symmetrical – unlike e.g. the Sukhoi which seems as happy upside down as the right way up.

I confirmed this several times the hard way – it seems I have developed a habit with the Sukhoi when I want to do a 180 of just pushing the stick forward into a half outside loop followed by a half roll (I am sure there is a proper name for that!). However, I stuffed the P51 into the ground a couple of times before I realised that it really won’t do that tight enough at the low altitude I was used to with the Sukhoi… However, if I half roll first, I can easily then do the half loop by pulling back and from the same initial height I can easily miss the ground!

Correspondingly the dead-stick glide on the P51 is gentler than the stock Sukhoi, and is pretty similar to the Sukhoi once it has had its CoG moved back quite a bit from stock.

I haven’t moved the control rods yet, but if I compare it to what I remember of the Sukhoi in stock form, the P51 seems to have less authority in ailerons and down elevator, and about the same in up elevator and rudder… but this is offset by the stock p51 prop being so much better than the stock Sukhoi prop (but not better than the 5043 on the Sukhoi).

The plane looks very nice, both in the hand and in the air, and the wheels are bigger and possibly more useful (and even better, you don’t have to take them off to put the plane back in the box!). It is pretty crash-resistant too – as mentioned above it took a couple of full-on crashes.

Anyway, those are my initial impressions after a few cells worth of flying –I am sure someone else will soon follow up with a more comprehensive review.

Thanks for the review, Blue!

Exactly how I thought the flight characteristics and power would be.

Time for the 5043!!

Many of us 'bottom feeders' will be waiting til Mon-Tues.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 06:19 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2009
53 Posts
Got called from my LHS that my plane was in. Drove over there and noticed it was extremely windy outside. Weather forecast was showing 8mph winds with 20mph gusts. Figured I'd wait till tomorrow but I just couldn't wait any longer.

Setup my DX7, charged the battery, setup my D/R with the same settings for the Sukhoi and launched it straight into the wind. Thinking it would nose dive, I gave it full throttle and a little up elevator, almost looped it right out of my hand, the exact opposite of the Sukhoi flys like. Infact I had to use a lot of down elevator when I had more than 3/4 throttle to bring her down.

The weatherman wasn't kidding as I was getting tossed around everywhere in the wind but the plane was extremely responsive and the stock prop is leaps better than the stock on the Sukhoi. Still waiting for my GWS 5043 to replace the one on the Sukhoi.

Didn't get a chance to really try out any manuevers (this is my 4th plane after the Sukhoi and Radian so I'm still learning ) but it definately has a lot more climbing power and very responsive to input.

Landing was pretty easy even with the crazy crosswind I was getting, cut the throttle down, let her glide down and then pulled back and just let it land on it's belly.

PZ definately has a winner on their hands, and the only knock I can give them is the first box I opened at the LHS, the prop and spinner were rubbing up against the plane, I didn't notice on the second plane till I took her back to work that one of the landing gears had surface corrosion on the actual metal pieces.

In the last month I've picked up a Sukhoi, a Radian, the BF-109 and now the Mustang. If I had the space I'd pick up every PZ plane but so far I've been very happy with how everything just works together.
ajafar is offline Find More Posts by ajafar
Old Oct 02, 2009, 06:35 PM
So gab something and go fly
Indianapolis,In.
Joined Sep 2009
4 Posts
Just got back from LHS with mine wow this is a sweet plane To windy to fly so maybe tomorrow,great job PZ keep up the good work.
KOOKOOKACHOO is offline Find More Posts by KOOKOOKACHOO
Old Oct 02, 2009, 06:50 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajafar
Got called from my LHS that my plane was in. Drove over there and noticed it was extremely windy outside. Weather forecast was showing 8mph winds with 20mph gusts. Figured I'd wait till tomorrow but I just couldn't wait any longer.

Setup my DX7, charged the battery, setup my D/R with the same settings for the Sukhoi and launched it straight into the wind. Thinking it would nose dive, I gave it full throttle and a little up elevator, almost looped it right out of my hand, the exact opposite of the Sukhoi flys like. Infact I had to use a lot of down elevator when I had more than 3/4 throttle to bring her down.

The weatherman wasn't kidding as I was getting tossed around everywhere in the wind but the plane was extremely responsive and the stock prop is leaps better than the stock on the Sukhoi. Still waiting for my GWS 5043 to replace the one on the Sukhoi.

Didn't get a chance to really try out any manuevers (this is my 4th plane after the Sukhoi and Radian so I'm still learning ) but it definately has a lot more climbing power and very responsive to input.

Landing was pretty easy even with the crazy crosswind I was getting, cut the throttle down, let her glide down and then pulled back and just let it land on it's belly.

PZ definately has a winner on their hands, and the only knock I can give them is the first box I opened at the LHS, the prop and spinner were rubbing up against the plane, I didn't notice on the second plane till I took her back to work that one of the landing gears had surface corrosion on the actual metal pieces.

In the last month I've picked up a Sukhoi, a Radian, the BF-109 and now the Mustang. If I had the space I'd pick up every PZ plane but so far I've been very happy with how everything just works together.

LOL...so is a used Popsicle stick!

Enjoy!

Welcome to RCG.

rc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 06:51 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOOKOOKACHOO
Just got back from LHS with mine wow this is a sweet plane To windy to fly so maybe tomorrow,great job PZ keep up the good work.

Welcome!

How much flight experience do you have?

Keep us posted,

rc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 06:52 PM
HELIRLC
SOUTH CHARLOTTE, NC
Joined Feb 2005
1,064 Posts
Took mine out for a second flight this eve before dark 30..

It needed down trim and slight right elevator and slight right tail to fly straight.

Rates on 70% with 25% expo. loops good and smooth rolls. Power climp is great.

Flew 3 minute flight.

Does anyone have flight times yet for the 120 mah battery????

Curious as to timer setup so I don't kill the Battery.

Russell
HELIRLC is offline Find More Posts by HELIRLC
Old Oct 02, 2009, 07:01 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Got mine Today. Our LHS only got 4 or two boxes. I got a chance to fly it this evening. What a wonderful plane

I used the MCX TX set to low rate. ROG off pavement 15 times and about 15 landings. Went through 4 packs. Took a little practice to land on pavement and I pranged the wing tips. I will add a little tape there to prevent any further damage. It takes a little practice to land this thing as it does not want to land. Very Floaty at low speed, will balloon if your not careful. on the 3rd pack I had it down and was making scale like landing. Its easy to nick the prop to so landing are best as a 3 point style.

Aerobatics..does a good job but won't compete with the Sukhoi but looks more scale doing it than the Sukhoi. All in all an excellent flying plane.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Oct 02, 2009 at 07:07 PM.