HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:49 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coby
Thats what I thought, but 3 channel doesnt really appeal to me but if its a stepping stone then Ill try it.

How are the controls laid out? just like a 4 channel but the 4th doesnt work?
Throttle, aileron, rudder, and elevator, isn't that 4 channel?

Am I missing something?
barnyardflyer is online now Find More Posts by barnyardflyer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:54 PM
Joined Jul 2008
389 Posts
Ive just never had a plane before. Am just wondering how the controlls are.
coby is offline Find More Posts by coby
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:01 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,590 Posts
By saying 3 channel didn't appeal to you, I assumed you had a plane before.

Get this airplane, you won't be sorry.

Controls in mode 2 are throttle and rudder on left stick, and aileron and elevator on right stick.
barnyardflyer is online now Find More Posts by barnyardflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:07 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Would this be a good plane for a beginner?
No! It's a warbird, which means it's quick and it'll go right where you point it, up to and including the ground. The Parkzone Ember 2 would be a much better choice for the beginner, being a 3-channel floater. I started on the Parkzone Cessna 210, but wouldn't recommend it these days because of the electronics.

Quote:
Thats what I thought, but 3 channel doesnt really appeal to me but if its a stepping stone then Ill try it.
We suggest 3-channel birds to beginners because they're typically high-wing aircraft with lots of dihedral in the wing, which means they're stable (pronounced: "self-righting when the controls are released") and give you time to think. And you'll need that time to think while you're learning left-from-right in the air, and how not to put the aircraft into an unrecoverable stall. And even after you learn the basics, there are a whole range of basic aerobatics a 3-channel plane can do. Loops and stall-turns (hammerheads) are possible. With enough rudder authority, a 3-channel trainer can roll. Inverted flight can be accomplished, though a high-wing trainer will fight you the whole way through.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:10 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi

It depends if you are going to go mode1 or mode2 ?, but your primary means of turning generally is on the stick with throttle, so if its a rudder model, then its rudder and when you move to aileron the aileron takes its place and rudder then goes with elevator.
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:12 PM
shutup and tell me
PA
Joined Mar 2008
282 Posts
well, its probably easier than a sukhoi sim time, even if its the g4 demo "i used it" it helped me, and i went from a 3channel sailplane to the su-26, and i fly it pretty good im looking forward to this plane but i think my sukhoi might be more entertaining..IMO
noah
mingamo2 is offline Find More Posts by mingamo2
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:19 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
From the video, to me it doesn't look as if it flies like a Sukhoi. Looks a bit slower and floatier. It obviously has fairly significant dihedral, which I think will effect stability (though as we saw it flies inverted fine). It is not a mid-wing plane, but low wing. It's a very pretty looking plane in the air, and looks great doing aerobatics. I'm very happy with my Sukhoi, so I won't be in a rush to get this one, but I think I'll likely set this one aside as my next plane. It'll take me a while to save up enough cash for it at any rate.

Overall, looks like another nice one from Horizon.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:45 PM
Joined Jul 2008
389 Posts
Okay, I understand now.

Would I be better off with the Cessna or P51D and sim practice? I have G4 so I could practice? Are there any planes that would make really good practice planes?
coby is offline Find More Posts by coby
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:59 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobkobico
From the video, to me it doesn't look as if it flies like a Sukhoi. Looks a bit slower and floatier. It obviously has fairly significant dihedral, which I think will effect stability (though as we saw it flies inverted fine). It is not a mid-wing plane, but low wing. ....
Without dihedral, low wing planes will prefer being inverted to right side up
(sort of analogous to high wing planes preferring to be right side up over inverted).
Depending on how how much dihedral got put in, a low wing plane can end-up
still preferring to be inverted (little dihedral), neutral with respect to right side up or inverted (more dihedral, the dihedral counterbalances the low wing effects) or right side up (even more dihedral).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:23 PM
Joined Oct 2006
11 Posts
Quote:
Okay, I understand now.

Would I be better off with the Cessna or P51D and sim practice? I have G4 so I could practice? Are there any planes that would make really good practice planes?
if you really want a 4 channel I say go for it. My first plane was the sukhoi and I did fine but I also practiced on realflight. I say if you're could fly around and land on the simulator comfortably and take it easy on the first couple flights when you fly in real life you should be okay.
Darweeezy is offline Find More Posts by Darweeezy
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:37 PM
if I only had the time
United States, WI, Green Bay
Joined Jul 2009
30 Posts
best way to learn how to fly in my book coby is to learn on g4 til the point where you get so sick of it you want to vomit every time you see a computer screen. Then get yourself a high wing 3 ch trainer. I highly recommend the hobbyzone super cub (or mini simply cause you could easly modify ailerons later). Fly and repair that thing till you become a subject matter expert on all things super cub. mod it a few times to keep yourself interested then move on to a modified cub with ailerons or any other aileron trainer. once you get he hang of that you should be pretty effiecient by then

Back on the topic here. Ive notivced that this isnt the same bird as the sukhoi. There has been som changes (not to sure if its cause of cosmeticsor improving thier gear) Ive looked at the parts listing and noticed that the mustang has a different motor but the same gear box. also they have a different prop(no one liked the sukhoi prop?) and different linkages. It all looks the same to me but these are all labeled as differnt parts on thier page.
adammoren is offline Find More Posts by adammoren
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:41 PM
Linwood NJ USA
Joined Oct 2004
1,122 Posts
Really wish they had BNF without the charger. I already have one. Why are they doing to do this ,so they jack up the price on these planes? Hell if i want a 4 port charger I'll buy one.
Another pet peeve . Whenever a new plane is announced the post start "can't miss" , "best one yet". Do they pay people to hype this up? Or is it a bunch of kids who can't wait to see how it actually flies.
One video with a pro pilot under perfect conditions and we have another super plane. Well my sukhoi flew like crap till i did some mods to it. So don't believe everything you see.
mori55 is offline Find More Posts by mori55
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:51 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mori55
Really wish they had BNF without the charger. I already have one. Why are they doing to do this ,so they jack up the price on these planes? Hell if i want a 4 port charger I'll buy one.
Another pet peeve . Whenever a new plane is announced the post start "can't miss" , "best one yet". Do they pay people to hype this up? Or is it a bunch of kids who can't wait to see how it actually flies.
One video with a pro pilot under perfect conditions and we have another super plane. Well my sukhoi flew like crap till i did some mods to it. So don't believe everything you see.
I also would like one without the charger, but you have to realize that there are a lot of people out there that haven't yet got a micro Parkzone plane and will require that charger. Overall, I believe the amount requiring chargers will exceed those that don't. Sure you could buy one of those parallel chargers, but I don't think Parkzone sells one yet.

Second, I somewhat contribute to hype, but I try not to be overly enthusiastic. I said that I think it looks like a "nice one" which means that I think it will fly well, however I'm not saying it'll be some miracle plane.

With the Sukhoi though, perhaps I just got lucky, but I think that complaints about it are far too harsh. With the stock prop and battery, and a cut dime on the end, mine flies wonderfully. Adding some tail weight is hardly a mod to me. When I gave it 15C 130 mah batteries it flew even better. I'm hardly a pro pilot: this is my first 4 channel plane, and I've flown in less than perfect conditions and it still flies great.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:08 PM
Linwood NJ USA
Joined Oct 2004
1,122 Posts
I have been flying for 30 years so i'm not new to this. My sukhoi wouldn't fly until i changed the prop and cut a slot to move my cg back. Now if i didn't read these forums and found out how to fix this i would have been out of luck. E-flite already has a 4 port charger that i have. If they were worried about catering to the masses they would have offered this a long time ago and the sukhoi with a transmitter.Heres mine my other parkzone planes came with a smaller charger , leave the 4 port as a upgrade for those that want it.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/e_flite_c...65407_prd1.htm
mori55 is offline Find More Posts by mori55
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:09 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mori55
My Sukhoi flew fine. I heard all this stuff about nose heavy etc. Once I got it trimmed and flying level hands off it was fine, and I was flying a new tx unprogrammed, so no expo or dual rates.

I've got my tx programmed now, and am really looking forward to giving it another shot. I think these planes are the best flying things for the money that I've ever seen.

I've been in the hobby for forty-five years and when I started things cost five times what they do now and a buck went a lot further then. The price, capability and quality of RC equipment is fantastic these days.

Try scratch building something like the Sukhoi and see how far you get.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug