Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 20, 2009, 02:40 PM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
428 Posts
You know a complete line of war birds are coming !! P-38, B-25, B-17 etc. !!!
Parkk is online now Find More Posts by Parkk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2009, 02:43 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,535 Posts
I didn't get the Sukhoi so I WOULD be interested in this plane. I really like the paint job on this. I was kinda interested in the "Gunfighter" P51 but it's a little too similar to another plane I have (size and flight characteristics but not looks). This would give me a WWII plane and be something completely different in my fleet...
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Aug 20, 2009, 03:05 PM
0x46 0x50 0x56
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
I'm all over the mSR!!

Have you read this mini-review from Ron? (Team Horizon)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=343

rc
I did and I have an mSR on order as of a few weeks ago. Based on my negative experience with the SU-26, I will be waiting to hear from others after this one is released before I will consider purchasing one. It looks great....
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Aug 20, 2009, 03:32 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hey

Similar or not, I will buy one, I have enjoyed my SU 26 so much I might even get another one of those as well, the biggest problem I had with the SU was the stock prop.

Once I changed it to the gws it was a lot better and I put the carbon fibre up back which seemed to move the cofg enough.
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Old Aug 20, 2009, 03:38 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,045 Posts
The Edge prop

I've got the Kyosho Edge 540 and it uses the 130x70 prop and it really scoots. Maybe the larger prop works well on the Sukhoi indoors, but the GWS replacement is much better.

As soon as Horizon gets the 130x70 props in for the Mustang, I'll bet they work well on the Sukhoi outdoors too.

Yep, I pre-ordered one.

Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is online now Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old Aug 20, 2009, 03:46 PM
Make the best of all you have
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
IŽll bet the GWS 50/43 will do the best job and is much cheaper ...

Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Old Aug 20, 2009, 03:50 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hey Horizon

How about making everything brushless from the start from now on, brushed motors are so last century.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:02 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcozstyle
Hey Horizon

How about making everything brushless from the start from now on, brushed motors are so last century.
In the 1S powered sub-1.5 ounce world, brushed motors are king. Yes, there are micro brushless motors, but they're generally no more efficient than the brushed ones.

Compare the brushed Sukhoi setup with a GWS 5043 prop with a DD 3700 KV brushless setup turning a GWS 4540 prop. Both produce about the same thrust, but the DD brushless outrunner requires at least 0.33 to 0.5 A more current to do so. The brushless setup also costs $25 more (this is the direct from China price.) A brushless gearbox produces somewhat less thrust for the same current, and has the same $25 premium (again, direct from China price, with the end-user pulling double-duty as QC. A brushless setup from Horizon, complete with the extensive QC and in-house testing they do, would probably have a $50 premium.)
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:19 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Jimmy
In the 1S powered sub-1.5 ounce world, brushed motors are king. Yes, there are micro brushless motors, but they're generally no more efficient than the brushed ones.

Wow thanks for that info, you have just saved me from making a mistake and spending money to do so.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:34 PM
Joined Jul 2008
389 Posts
Would this be a good plane for a beginner?

Where can I buy one?
coby is offline Find More Posts by coby
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:36 PM
Brookings, OR.
Joined Dec 2005
234 Posts
It's an airplane.
Mike F is offline Find More Posts by Mike F
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:38 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Jimmy

Compare the brushed Sukhoi setup with a GWS 5043 prop with a DD 3700 KV brushless setup turning a GWS 4540 prop. Both produce about the same thrust, but the DD brushless outrunner requires at least 0.33 to 0.5 A more current to do so. The brushless setup also costs $25 more (this is the direct from China price.) A brushless gearbox produces somewhat less thrust for the same current, and has the same $25 premium (again, direct from China price, with the end-user pulling double-duty as QC. A brushless setup from Horizon, complete with the extensive QC and in-house testing they do, would probably have a $50 premium.)
You have pretty much nailed exactly why we don't have brushless in our ultra micros! Yet...
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:38 PM
Joined Jul 2008
389 Posts
Good catch. All this talk about helis has gotten me crazy.

The question still stands, but with the word plane in the sentence.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:40 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coby
Would this be a good plane for a beginner?

Where can I buy one?

I have some years of experience in flying and I find that the SU26 took some getting used to, so no, maybe try the cessna first.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:45 PM
Joined Jul 2008
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcozstyle
I have some years of experience in flying and I find that the SU26 took some getting used to, so no, maybe try the cessna first.
Thats what I thought, but 3 channel doesnt really appeal to me but if its a stepping stone then Ill try it.

How are the controls laid out? just like a 4 channel but the 4th doesnt work?