Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:33 AM
Salvaging heli parts...Again?
Joined Aug 2008
104 Posts
Has anyone measured the weight of their P51d? I don't claim my scale to be calibrated by any means, but it seems to be accurate. In any case, without battery, with landing gears, the thing comes to 33.1g and that is with 0.3g of additional nose weight I've had to add . And I know the battery is on the order or 3.4g to 3.7g depending on make and model, c rate, mah etc. The box/label claims that P51d is 34.6g. Is that the AUW? With or without battery? With or without landing gear? Is the nominal 34g an estimate? I suppose the question is what should be weight limit, not to be exceeded, when tweaking with the bird?

BTW for comparison, my su-26m weighs in at 31.4g with landing gear without battery and the box is labeled for 34g. So is parkzone reporting high weight to be conservative or are they reporting low? Because 31.4+3.6(for battery) is 35g.
g35xfun is offline Find More Posts by g35xfun
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:46 PM
Jaded Flyer
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2004
2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk
Two things, or a combination of will have a plane porpoiseing.

Way out of trim, or way out of balance. better to adjust the balance as its the more likelyhood its the problem. If a plane is in balance, it should fly perfectly well with the elevator dead level.

What the plane is doing is "hunting" for its optmum airspeed, and overshooting it each time.

In my case it was out of trim. After all my adjustments with the subtrim (quickest option in the field) the elevator was only then completely level.
mcharles13 is offline Find More Posts by mcharles13
Old Oct 27, 2009, 01:18 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g35xfun
Has anyone measured the weight of their P51d? I don't claim my scale to be calibrated by any means, but it seems to be accurate. In any case, without battery, with landing gears, the thing comes to 33.1g and that is with 0.3g of additional nose weight I've had to add . And I know the battery is on the order or 3.4g to 3.7g depending on make and model, c rate, mah etc. The box/label claims that P51d is 34.6g. Is that the AUW? With or without battery? With or without landing gear? Is the nominal 34g an estimate? I suppose the question is what should be weight limit, not to be exceeded, when tweaking with the bird?

BTW for comparison, my su-26m weighs in at 31.4g with landing gear without battery and the box is labeled for 34g. So is parkzone reporting high weight to be conservative or are they reporting low? Because 31.4+3.6(for battery) is 35g.
Mine with the battery and the light mod came in at 32 grams.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Oct 27, 2009, 01:56 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,763 Posts
Anyone have any close up pics of the lights installed? Just wondering how the wire looks and lights mounted.
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Oct 27, 2009, 02:46 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I can take a photo under my wing on how it is all ran tonight when I get home if you would like.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 04:18 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,763 Posts
Cool...that would be great.Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2009, 05:09 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharles13
In my case it was out of trim. After all my adjustments with the subtrim (quickest option in the field) the elevator was only then completely level.
Aye, on second thought yes the trim is more likely as iin the case of this particular model, as its more in the hands of the user than the CG is.

Glad ya got it snorted, errr sorted.............sorry.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:30 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharles13
I had the same problem. I just bent the bend by the control horn a little more. Flew great this morning even in some gusty wind.

On another note... what exp are you all running, if any?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:41 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Batteries died while taking photos. I will download them as soon as I get the battery charged.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:47 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,583 Posts
Quote:
I have been running into this kind of flying characteristic. See:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1183

I've had to add weight to nose to get that damped out. I not sure if it is better to add weight, or squeeze the elevator linkage and have significant bit of down elevator relative to the horizontal stabilizer just to fly sort of neutral with the servo centered.
Do you have the battery as far forward as you can get it? I got rid of most of the porpoising on mine just by moving the battery forward.
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:17 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,583 Posts
Quote:

Mine is 32.2 grams RTF with the landing gears (and main gear mounting plates removed.
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:45 PM
Jaded Flyer
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2004
2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulz43
...On another note... what exp are you all running, if any?
Currently no D/R no Expo. Next flight i'll work in some D/R not sure if i'll need expo yet.
mcharles13 is offline Find More Posts by mcharles13
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:54 PM
I need a BIGGER lvng rm!
Conroe, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
516 Posts
clear canopy

A couple pics of my clear canopy. Makes it look a lot less "toy" like IMO.
MicroTex is offline Find More Posts by MicroTex
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:05 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroTex
A couple pics of my clear canopy. Makes it look a lot less "toy" like IMO.
nice..how did you do that?
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:31 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,631 Posts
...and are you going to be marketing those?
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine