HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:54 PM
Pearland, Texas
Joined Jul 2002
646 Posts
reflective tape on F5B?

I always use reflective tape on my sailplanes, but is it "kosher" to use on F5B? I had a few occurences today that I lost my S-11 as it was turning. It really makes your heart jump in your throat when you can't see it for a brief sec, going 100+ coming at you. Now, I am a red blooded, 31 year old, 20/20 male, so I know others should be having the same problem.

If so, where do you put it? leading edge, servo covers???

Brett

It doesn't help that the bottom of my plane is blue. Or maybe it is just going so fast, color would probably never matter. :-)
bwaltz is offline Find More Posts by bwaltz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2003, 10:07 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
bwaltz,

I have never seen reflective tape on an F5B aircraft. If you used it you might upset the airfoil shape.

If the bottom of the wing is all blue you should paint some stripes or circles of a contrasting color over a part of it.

Chuck
rcelectfly is offline Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:38 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
What's on the top of the wing? If you dare to try a spray can paint job on the tips or leading edge, flourescent orange will show up in any kind of sky (except the night sky). Other than that, you have to deal with the thin front profile of these sleek F5B planes. Reflective tape does work in sunny conditions but you need to be able to see it on cloudy days too.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2003, 06:18 PM
Pearland, Texas
Joined Jul 2002
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Troy
What's on the top of the wing?
My plane is blue on bottom with white racing stripes. It is white on top with fading blue on all tips. Thanks for the clarification. I figured it would affect flight performance.

It just get real small fast.
bwaltz is offline Find More Posts by bwaltz
Old Apr 14, 2003, 10:21 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bwaltz
My plane is blue on bottom with white racing stripes. It is white on top with fading blue on all tips.
I saw the pic in your other thread. No wonder why it diapears on you. Light and medium blues look great on the ground but the tone of those colors disapear up against the sky. You may want to add some bright yellow, it looks nice with blue
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Troy; Apr 14, 2003 at 10:23 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 02:38 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Troy kind of hinted at it. You need to be used to flying this type of model - don't fly it straight at you, for example. More importantly, know where your model is, and where it's going next. These models don't usually do anything you don't expect.
Some dark stripes on top would help, however (click on my www link, below, and go look at my Sirius)..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:22 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,241 Posts
I've got some of that very thin reflective tape on the leading edge of my Ariane V6. It was my first real "Go Fast" plane (5 years ago?) and i thought it would help....especially when the plane does the Houdini and disappears coming straight at you

.......It Doesn't Help and I haven't put it on another since. Its not so much that the tape doesn't relect - it does if the light is right - but it doesn't give you any orientation reference, so your heart still skips the same number of beats as if there were no tape. Sure....if you totally lose sight of it the tape might.....MIGHT get your attention but you're still going to freak

Always try to show the wing a bit. Try flying Arcs instead of lines with one wing tip slightly down. The plane gets small quickly when you put it in a position to show very little surface area

Hope this helps

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Last edited by Alan W; Apr 16, 2003 at 10:32 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 01:22 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
739 Posts
I would agree that the reflective tape does not help much. I have it on my Ariane V6 and it really doesn't do anything. I think the key is lots of fluorescent orange. It's the best colour out there. Visible on bright, sunny days as well as on dark overcast ones. I have fluorescent stripes on the top of my wing, with red bottoms. It's real easy to see, even when far away.

Here's a picture of the plane:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=100303

I don't have the reflective tape on it in the picture, but I will be replacing it with a strip of fluorescent orange on the leading edge. I have found that to be the best way to see the plane when it is coming right at me.

Hope that helps.

Ryan.

PS: I also know of a little B20-powered Stinger in our club that would guaranteed be toast today if it were not for the fact that it's bright fluorescent orange. Not knocking your flying skills, SoarNeck
96S14 is offline Find More Posts by 96S14