HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2003, 06:47 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Meridian 400 Picture/Video Gallery

Post any in-flight, building, before (and after ) maiden, or video shots you've got.

I'm waiting on a 30mm spinner to finish mine off, but here she is so far (might add some flames or something, later).

The amazing, invisible cat...

Not quite finished on the bottom.

ESC is taped halfway underneath the motor, behind the Deans plug in this pic.

Tail linkages. *I* felt the CF rods included were a tad short, had to use tweezers and a soldering iron to shrink the heat shrink here and in the in the cockpit.

Hacker B20-15L w/TMM 18e-3ph, Maxx 1000 & HEcell 1000 8 & 9 cells, Graupner CAM Gear 10X8 & 11X8, Hitec 555 no case w/Azarr antenna, HS-55 servos all around. 16.6oz AUW, 10.5oz dry.

Wooot! I can't wait to fly!
apex is offline Find More Posts by apex
Last edited by apex; Apr 13, 2003 at 06:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2003, 06:53 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
I just noticed the bottom of my horizontal stabalizer isn't blue, oops!
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:24 PM
Stay thirsty my friends.
Tosev 3
Joined Feb 2003
1,034 Posts
Where are the cat's three view photos? I do not see bottom lateral or clear equipment arrangement shots! This is clearly incomplete.
DR. JOY is offline Find More Posts by DR. JOY
Old Apr 13, 2003, 10:15 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Quote:
Where are the cat's three view photos? I do not see bottom lateral or clear equipment arrangement shots! This is clearly incomplete.
LOL. I tried my best, but she wouldn't hold still for those shots.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 01:14 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,507 Posts
Apex, she looks great. You really built yours light. 16.6 oz on 9 cells is excellent.

Here's mine.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 14, 2003, 01:15 AM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
How much aileron differential is everyone using on their meridians? I was going to start with 60% but have no idea how much (if any) a normal pattern plane uses.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 01:21 AM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Susbauer
Apex, she looks great. You really built yours light. 16.6 oz on 9 cells is excellent.

Here's mine.

--Paul
That's a beautiful plane... I was inspired by the partial pictures of your plane when I was building mine. 16.6 oz was with an 8 cell pack actually. With 9 cells it weighs 17.4 oz. I wasn't going for light at all and used tons of CA though my covering is almost all 1 layer so that kept it down I suppose. What's your weigh?
Old Apr 14, 2003, 01:30 AM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,507 Posts
I'm running 20% on them..though I don't feel its needed. This plane is so docile and tracks so well that you shouldn't have any problems with her.

--Paul
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 14, 2003, 01:56 AM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
20%... as in 20% less than the up movement im guessing. I meant 60% as in 60% of the upward travel, down. So I was going to use 40% less down than up, and you use 20%. Okay I'll raise my radio setting to 80% (20%).

That probably only makes sense in my mind hehe

I built a thrust stand today for my meridian and took some measurements if anyone's curious:

After 10 seconds of full throttle...
9 cell 10X8 = 21.5 oz thrust
8 cell 10X8 = 17.5 oz

8 cell 11X8 = 23 oz
9 cell 11X8 = more than my scale could handle. Probably 27 oz or so.

Mmmmm.... 27 oz on a 16 oz plane, that sounds interesting
Old Apr 14, 2003, 03:45 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Apex, that looks fantastic! The small patches of transparent red should show up beautifully in the sunshine.

I don't use any differential at all. I haven't even noticed any adverse yaw aside from the slightest little bit at minimum controllable airspeed. At speed I'd rather not have differential hindering me through outside manoeuvers so I just manually compensate.

Mine is 18oz AUW and flies like it's on rails. I'm sure they can come out lighter (as you and Paul are evident to) but I'm really happy with the performance of my Meridian. I'm using the 10x8 folder and get about 7 minutes of HARD pattern aerobatic flying (eg. high speed) with another 1 to 2 of cruising around on the end. That's on the 15L with 9xHE's. Using KAN's my power goes up and thus so does my flight time due to using less throttle - I get up to about 9 minutes of aerobatics.

In the spirit of this thread, here's a shot of mine.
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Apr 14, 2003, 04:13 AM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
That's one dirty worktable you've got there Dreamer.. I have to clean mine every few hours or I start losing things ;D

KANS are on my list

Have you tried any lithium polymer's?

I've got a 2s2p pack of 1575's that gave 21 oz thrust on the 11X8 but they're about an 1/8" too wide for the battery tray. Might fit at an angle. 3000mah and an ounce lighter than an 8 cell HE pack. I would probably only use them with the 10X8, but I haven't actually checked the amp draw yet.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 04:18 AM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your cockpit layout? Specifically I am curious how everyone's connecting their batteries.

I've been feeding the battery connector from the bottom into the cockpit, taking off the hatch to make the connection, and then adjusting the battery for correct CG. I need three hands or a different method.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 04:23 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I don't have any pictures and the plane is out in the garage while I pack up the model room, so I'll blab.

My battery packs are arranged like

I I I I I I I I I

and the pack likes to sit about 50% on the battery tray. The other half is tucked back into the fuselage aft of the battery tray. I put the pack in place, connect my polarized two pin connectors and shove that back through the hole towards the space behind the motor.

I then flop the model over, open up the hatch, and turn on the switch. With the beep, the Hacker ESC is on and then I can put the hatch back on and go fly.

I hope that makes sense. I'll take pics of my inner workings tomorrow.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Apr 14, 2003, 04:52 AM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
That gave me an idea... I cut the covering in the cockpit some more and was able to get my receiver behind the second bulkhead (in where the servos are). Now I've got room to dangle the battery connector from the ESC down to the battery and mount my power switch in the battery compartment. I can push the connector back into the motor/esc space and I don't have to take the hatch off to power up or change batteries anymore
Old Apr 14, 2003, 12:54 PM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,507 Posts
Apex,
I need to aplogize, as I read your question as exponential (brain fade) I do run 20% expo, but I don't run any differential. As Martin said, its not needed.

Here's a pic of my setup. I just connect the battery, shove the connector in through F2 (just enough so it doesnt hang down) flip it over, flip the switch, put the hatch on, and then fly pattern.

--Paul
Site Sponsor