to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:10 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Yeah, you got me there.. I think mine were in 4 or so.

My fuse had at least 2 breaks. One in the boom with a pretty nasty patch and the more typical ABS tail.
Well, Please allow me to provide a little motivation??

wasn't gettin snooty, just me being me… lol I met you up at little mountain a couple of years ago right? or just know you from around here….. anyhow,
CHEERS!
exciter900rr is offline Find More Posts by exciter900rr
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:28 PM
"revived" Deadbeat II
San Clemente
Joined Mar 2009
240 Posts
Right on Kenny, can't wait to see the progress and of course fly it
av8rlew is offline Find More Posts by av8rlew
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:29 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8rlew View Post
right on kenny, can't wait to see the progress and of course fly it
oh yeah!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:30 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,415 Posts
Yep, Little Mountain and others.. I think.

Didn't think you were snooty.

Your rebuild might just get me motivated to finish mine.

You have a method for removing that nasty old orange monokote off the plywood? Mine looks similar, but blue..
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:39 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
brand new razor blades, and scrape the covering off at a 90* angle to the scraping action? make sense? OK just for humor, and to explain, take your hand and karate chop the wing in half- (without actually breaking the wing of course) now take your hand (still in the karate chop position) and move it left to right. the blade will be 90* to the wing, and 90* to the sheeting and you'll scrape the covering off kinda quick but be careful not to go through the layers of ply. 1/32" on top, 1/64" on bottom both are 3 ply so watch out! sand afterwards, but the rib capping is just a pain with sandpaper and an x-acto knife. mostly tedious, and in the beginning of this thread, you can see just how much debris comes off….
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:41 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
155 Posts
Great to see that this thread is still alive. Here are the two airworthy Hobie's that I have a third is waiting for a rebuild, this thread might be just what I need to get going with it.
crowe04 is offline Find More Posts by crowe04
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:19 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe04 View Post
Great to see that this thread is still alive. Here are the two airworthy Hobie's that I have a third is waiting for a rebuild, this thread might be just what I need to get going with it.
You know, the orange is definitely THE color for these birds, and then the white fuse updates the look (my first HH was done this way- white fuse trans orange wings) but that red one looks HOT! I like how rich it looks! I have always been partial to the black/multi trans look myself, so I just had to do it.

But did I say the red one is HOT!?

Nice ones!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:05 AM
Peoria, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
1,038 Posts
Excite and all;
Glad to see you still at it. I'm the guy with the new Hawk who posted earlier, and it's been shuffled around between other projects, so not completed yet.

But anyway, I wanted to tell you about a Monokote removal method that worked really well for me on these wings. My model was factory-covered, but the film had aged really bad, was brittle, holes, etc. I used a sharp Xacto to remove the large pieces of film. The nasty stuck places, adhesive infused colored film that's IN the wood... I used a Dremel oscillating sander with a 100 grit pad. I varied the speed and found a 'sweet spot' where the stuff came off quickly. I had both wings done in less than 2 hours.

My fuselage is now refinished (white epoxy paint) and I have some really old transparent orange Super Monokote for the flying surfaces.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:43 AM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
John-
Sounds pretty cool about the dremel, but I'm afraid I can't recall if I've seen one?? The oscillating part is what's stumped me- got a pic?

Thanks man I'm curious!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
Excite and all;
Glad to see you still at it. I'm the guy with the new Hawk who posted earlier, and it's been shuffled around between other projects, so not completed yet.

But anyway, I wanted to tell you about a Monokote removal method that worked really well for me on these wings. My model was factory-covered, but the film had aged really bad, was brittle, holes, etc. I used a sharp Xacto to remove the large pieces of film. The nasty stuck places, adhesive infused colored film that's IN the wood... I used a Dremel oscillating sander with a 100 grit pad. I varied the speed and found a 'sweet spot' where the stuff came off quickly. I had both wings done in less than 2 hours.

My fuselage is now refinished (white epoxy paint) and I have some really old transparent orange Super Monokote for the flying surfaces.

John
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:03 AM
Peoria, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
1,038 Posts
Here's what it looks like. They really do a good job on Hobie wings, but I'm affraid the results would be poor if used on a conventional balsa wing. The ply Hobie wing is what makes the use of this tool possible.

I also stripped layers of built-up paint from another old fiberglass sailplane fuselage with equally good results.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:32 AM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
Here's what it looks like. They really do a good job on Hobie wings, but I'm affraid the results would be poor if used on a conventional balsa wing. The ply Hobie wing is what makes the use of this tool possible.

I also stripped layers of built-up paint from another old fiberglass sailplane fuselage with equally good results.

John
GOTCHA! Ok that makes sense!! Great to know- thanks! I just may have to add one to the arsenal!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:00 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
A few more of the wings…

Some more sanding, some carbon tow and light glass, and a pinch o' filler should get things rollin!

Getting kind close to the time a fella should firm up some color ideas…..
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:42 AM
"revived" Deadbeat II
San Clemente
Joined Mar 2009
240 Posts
Maybe just go Orange again, with a white fuse? I have 2 rolls of trans orange but do you think the wings will look good enough for trans? could always put stripes on the repaired areas, but then it will look like its already been crashed and repaired. or dark blue nah want to be able to see it from far away yellow with white fuse? oh great I have no idea as the original plans might not work.
av8rlew is offline Find More Posts by av8rlew
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:01 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Lol!