HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:59 PM
I want to believe
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2002
903 Posts
So what would you guys consider to be a good deal for a hobie?
mdine1us is offline Find More Posts by mdine1us
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:37 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdine1us
So what would you guys consider to be a good deal for a hobie?
Well, that's tough.
Good deal.
Vintage non restored non flown- $350/$450
same, not thrashed or repaired- $250/$300
Just typical, one or two repairs, recovered and painted- $175/$225
Basket case but flyable- $100/$200
Trashed, but complete repairable- case of beer and a foamie.

Of course, These are what I believe to be fair prices, but the aficionados may disagree. Also, there are things that can be deal breakers, or deal makers that have to be considered.
I have seen one on FeeBay for $650 that was a recover, and well used- I think that was unreasonable, but hey- there may be ONE taker out there who will pay it- I have a plane (F3B Muller Comet 89T) that I got through a generous deal (to my benefit) from a friend. This Plane (This particular plane) was worth more to me than another exact copy for sentimental reasons, because I remember it from 15+ years prior. *Note the same airframe* This is an instance that would drive the price higher.

Like I said, these are my ideal prices that I think would be fair.
exciter900rr is offline Find More Posts by exciter900rr
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:53 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,193 Posts
It sure is neat to see all this Hawk activity - I thought I was the only one who cared.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Hobie Hawk, weird flying characteristics and all. It is an airplane dominated by inertia, not stability, and is only 2-servo to boot. It requires learning to get the best out of it. I am always reminded of how F-4s and F-15s used to compare: a good crew in an F-4 could always beat a guy in an F-15, even though the F-15 was "better". The difference was knowing and working with the airplane.

I think of the Hobie Hawk as "J. Edgar Swoop", after the eagle in the old Mason Williams song. None of my other sailplanes has ever generated a nick-name.

I have never found a deal on a Hobie Hawk. A Hobie is either available or not. I paid "too much", I am sure. But I am still satisfied simply because I have one. Even broken Hobies are going to fetch hundreds of dollars, I'm afraid.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:37 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,019 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread....but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
...Now compare that vintage Vette to a Vintage Honda and tell me what you rather own. Old cars suck in comparison to modern cars. Hell Your Civic will probably beat most any 70's Super Car around a track. But this has nothing to do with these planes...
Actually it does, my question was how does the HH compare to an Ava? Old vs new. Not which one is better, I get the point of restoring and flying a Hawk. Hell I'm not knocking the HH, I think it's a beautiful model and a game changer in it's day. The same way the Bubble Dancer revolutionized the RES community five or so years ago, the Ava is the ARF derivation of the design.

Quote:
I much rather have a Hawk then say a modern ARF, and the cost is very similar depending on the deal you can find.
Really? Have you flow an Ava?

Actually, other ARF's like a Gentle Lady or a Bird of time would probably be a better comparison when I think about it, and yes I'd prefer the HH because it's so cool and rare.

Bur not something I'd step up to the winch line with at the monthly contest ..., she needs to come out on the same days the old vette does, I'll "commute" with the Ava.

Anyway, back to some pictures and HH flying stories....

Thermals all....
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:05 AM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,417 Posts
I don't even know what an Ava is. Ok, I just looked up the Ava. Why would you want to compare the Hobie to an Ava is beyond me as they are nothing alike. I'd guess the Ava flies like a thermal ship, and the Hawk flies like a slope ship.

I payed too much for my Hawk, busted and abused for $200. I originally looked at it and decided to pass, but then I made the mistake of plugging in the wings and I just had to have it. I'm happy with the purchase, and the seller did throw in a rather nice full house 3 meter thermal ship with servos for another $65, so in the end I did OK since just the servos were worth ~ $120.

Lets face it, $200 is not that much more then some Multiplex foamies that are going to require just as much work to build, and never be very impressive at the field.

Like all rare things, what are you willing to pay? I'll spend a healthy bit of time and money getting my Hawk to were I'd like it to be. I enjoy this work, and I get "ownership" by investing my time in the project.

I just hope we don't run into any more deals soon as I need to save some cash and finish the projects I already have.. Yes, I will by more in the future if given the chance!

Didn't get to work on the planes today or yesterday.. Life got in the way.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:06 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,417 Posts
So when you have a wing with a wavy trailing edge, how do you go about fixing that? Mine has one wave, and my buddies has several.

Oh yeah, we are thinking we need to have a Hobie Hawk get together out on one of the beaches that Hobie used to fly from.. We will be scouting some out soon.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:51 AM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
So when you have a wing with a wavy trailing edge, how do you go about fixing that? Mine has one wave, and my buddies has several.
Well, that's a tough one.. The "other one" I did many years ago had that, not to mention one of the wings was busted in half, (or both.... still can't remember it real clear... ..teenage years...) but I seem to remember a heat gun not working, and I also do remember splitting it (TE) and clamping it between a couple pieces of hardwood strips to make the curve true after I had worked some thin epoxy into it- like finishing resin thin... If I recall, it worked out well with a LOT less waves. My scanner doesn't work anymore, and honestly I can't see myself going to kinkos to scan them, but I found a buttload of old pics and quite a few of that HH as well. I'll have to look to see if the repairs were visible.
Oh yeah, we are thinking we need to have a Hobie Hawk get together out on one of the beaches that Hobie used to fly from.. We will be scouting some out soon.
Heck yeah! If I can make it, I'd love to!!!! 3 months 'til baby comes....
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:48 AM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,576 Posts
Wavy trailing edge.

I have sharpened small strips of plywood, fished out all of the foam and slipped the tapered plywood pieces in where the foam had been. Did this just between ribs. Had to do a lot of scraping and fitting to avoid a bulge. Then epoxy and clamp it like Kenny said. It's also worked for me as a way of repairing cracked trailing edges.

You really need to be very careful about using heat on these wings. It can work but it's dangerous. Just putting the monokote on them can overheat the foam and bonding resin. I think the wings were assembled in a press with steam and heat - maybe heat activated resin-glue. Someone probably knows more about their original manufacture.

There are stories about people trying to give Hobie advice about the design as he was working on the concept. The legend is that he ignored all of it and did it his way. Probably true.
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Sep 17, 2009, 07:43 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS

There are stories about people trying to give Hobie advice about the design as he was working on the concept. The legend is that he ignored all of it and did it his way. Probably true.
I'll have to ask him next time I see him.
I think I'll see if I can coerce him into holding mine for a picture.
LOL and lets keep it out of the gutter guys!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:04 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,417 Posts
I'd love to hear some details on how he made the wings, and even the fiberglass section for that matter.

Pulled the covering off my bad wing.. It is worse then I thought. One big ugly repair under the pink stripe. So that wing has 2 breaks in it. Pictures later..

Good news is that I might have a lead on a new dorsal assembly. (fingers crossed)

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:15 AM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
I'd love to hear some details on how he made the wings, and even the fiberglass section for that matter.

Pulled the covering off my bad wing.. It is worse then I thought. One big ugly repair under the pink stripe. So that wing has 2 breaks in it. Pictures later..

Good news is that I might have a lead on a new dorsal assembly. (fingers crossed)

-Wayne
Never rule out the fact that you could strip the ply off of both breaks, and graft in a new piece over the section- I got faith! just on the LE "d tube section" and with a a little unidirectional CF bridging the joints, it should be as strong as new. (underneath the sheeting of course) remember, 1/64th on top, 1/32nd on bottom- or is it the other way around? The "captain" is messing with me right now....
Old Sep 18, 2009, 02:34 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,417 Posts
Posted up some photos of my buddies good Hobie find. It is almost without damage, yet nicely used. He later pulled the monokote off his other Hobie and even though the last owner had just rebuilt the plane the wing repair actually broke in his hand. He was debating flying it as is, but finally decided to strip the wing down and get a better look. Sounds like it was a good thing. Will check it out tomorrow.

Also posted some pictures of what I found in my bad wing. Yikes! It is worse then I thought. I suspected there might be some damage under the ugly pink stripe, but I didn't expect anything like this..

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2009, 02:10 AM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,621 Posts
My first RC was a Hobie...

Early December, 1975. Wife and I just separated. Got the blues, big time.

Model mag, some mail order outfit offering a Christmas Special, $209 for a Hobie (covered with translucent blue monokote), An EK Logictrol "Brick" radio, and a Hi-Start.
I ordered via phone C.O.D.
I get the Hobie done and RTF on Christmas day. I had only flown RC once before, a Cox .020 powered single-channel rudder-only plane called "Dicks' Dream".
I had been flying simple free-flight gliders and planes since I was a pup.

So on Christmas day I'm at a golf course where I found a Tee with a gentle slope facing the breeze...and commenced learning how to fly RC...

Over the next couple months I learned how to steer the Hobie, I learned a firm yet gentle touch for that all-flying rudder and stab.

I then learned how to Hi-start her, and found ever higher hills to slope her from....After she got too heavy from all the repairs I bought a new one.

The Hobie handling qualities spoiled me. I couldn't understand how anyone could could put up with the "sluggish" response that other gliders had. I soon learned to increase both dihedral and rudder size on any other glider I bought or built. But I realized the other flyers had learned on the slow responding machines, and I found my Gold Mine.

Yep, I was buying used, often cherry Hobies for peanuts from guys that didn't enjoy that "Hobie Rock'n' Roll". I always had 2 or 3 ready to tear up the sky...

I did learn to crank in at least 3/8" washout into those wings, and I also learned that a generous leading edge radius soothed the stall. I had to remove and replace the LE on several of them, as the previous owners had sanded them sharp instead of round.

They say your first love is your best love.
I guess that's why I love the Hobie above any other RC glider I've ever flown.
Oh, sure, the latest stuff will out sink her, they'll outrun her.

But IMHO there ain't no $2000 carbon fiber wing-stuck-on-a-tube wunderkind from Europe that has even half the charm, half the Soul, of a Hobie Hawk.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:24 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,417 Posts
Dayhead - loved your post! Will be checking my leading edges soon!

Here are some new picks of how my buddy decided to repair his wing. This plane had been rebuilt already, but the repair at this joint was mostly a thin layer of glass (.75 oz?) on the outer skin and then had been sanded down to the plywood. In other words, no strength. It popped the joint during inspection. So my buddy spent many hours picking out the damaged foam, glue, some old carbon fiber that seemed to be doing nothing.. He then cut some plywood and kevlar to span the cracks in the plywood, and sanded some foam to refill the voids. We mixed up some epoxy and microballons and went to town. It should look good when all cleaned up. He reports that the repair is nice and solid, though maybe a bit heavy.

-Wayne (still hunting down a dorsal for mine)
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:18 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Funny thing-

I have seen all sorts of ad's for that AVA bird hostage was asking for the comparison with. Not a bad looking airplane, and looks like a ton of thought has went into the design, but IMHO apples and oranges.
Or oranges, and tangelo's. similar, but not.
At least I know what one looks like now.