HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2009, 01:58 AM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Saw your plane today.. She looks great! Was so neat to see so many nice Hobies in one place. I think there were 3 flyable, the one for sale, and the Super Hawk.. oh yea, and Tom scored a C-Hawk in MINT condition for a very nice price.

I bought a Hobie yesterday that needs a lot of love, and my neighbor bought the one for sale at the event today. So we will be doing our own restorations soon.

Mine seems to have mostly fuselage issues, the worst of which is a badly damaged dorsal assembly. Seems these are hard to locate anymore, so may have to rebuild mine. The wing is in fair shape with at least one major repair, and a single trailing edge wiggle. Tail feathers look pretty good. Servo tray is rather butchered, luckily it has a black canopy.

My buddies has had a fresh rebuild from the last owner, but the wings are rough with a lot of trailing edge wiggles and a large repair that looks like it may buckle if the plane is flown. (Covering puckers in the area when wing is slightly loaded.)

So we will start pulling the covering and sanding paint to see what evil lurks under the skin. Our goal is to produce a restoration as close to yours as our skills allow. Hope you won't mind if we post pics up in this thread..?

I'm currently restoring a 15 year old thermal ship, and should have it done soon. Trying not to start the Hobie project until that one is done.... but...

-Wayne
Heck no I won't mind- That's what it's for!! Thanks for the compliment! I don't think I have any different skills than everyone else, I just use more time to get to the same point.... lol
I'll be watching to see the progress!
exciter900rr is offline Find More Posts by exciter900rr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:21 AM
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Apr 2002
539 Posts
Exciter,

Really nice job!

I too have a Hobie that could use a re-cover. Any tips on removing old monokote?

I was thinking of just trying to pull as much of the old covering as possible with the aid of my heat gun.

TIA,

:harry
harrye is online now Find More Posts by harrye
Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:57 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrye
Exciter,

Really nice job!

I too have a Hobie that could use a re-cover. Any tips on removing old monokote?

I was thinking of just trying to pull as much of the old covering as possible with the aid of my heat gun.

TIA,

:harry
Thanks!
One tip I'll give, is not to use too much heat on those wings! Remember that they're most likely over 30 years old- the ply will retain heat, and can possibly melt the foam. Also, with heat the pigment will sometimes be left behind, and gum up your sandpaper. Then, the friction will melt it deeper into the wood. Ask me how I know.... Lol!
Plain old elbow grease is what has worked the best for me. Good luck with it!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:09 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exciter900rr
Thanks!
Plain old elbow grease is what has worked the best for me. Good luck with it!
Where can I buy some elbow grease, and how do you use it.

So just scrape and pick it all off with no heat?

Hope you all like photos.. I took a few today. See captions on the photos for details.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:42 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
That's how it's done right there!!!!!
GREAT pictures, and I think the way you're going about it is perfect!
This is exactly how you're gonna find out what's under there, and learn a little about what kind of life the plane had. apparently, a rough one... with as much care as you're taking to repair it right, I think it's "golden years" are gonna be pretty sweet indeed!
Every so often, I have seen hobie parts on feebay, but it's hit and miss.... You'll eventually get tired of waiting for the tail to pop up for sale, and make a mold, and then the piece, and then ten will be for sale dirt cheap... lol Just the way it goes-
I would think that the tail is going to be your biggest hurdle- BUT, You're off to the right start!
I was sooooooo happy to find an intact tail on mine under all of the filler and basswood back there- I thought it was busted for sure!
Keep the progress pics coming!!!!

PS- I remember talking to your friend with the black and red hobie, am I safe to say that you were the "other guy" with him? I have said it a million times in the past, but forgive me for not remembering names....
***I think nametags will be a great idea for the next event (wherever) and we should all provide our own*** But I still probably won't remember
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:46 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:

So just scrape and pick it all off with no heat?

-Wayne
Unfortunately, that's what worked for me.... Don't let the heat gun in the pic fool you- I tried it for a second, and got bad ju ju and stopped.... I was covering the BeeDee around the same time too...

Scraping is what I did after I could pick no more..... Man- Just thinking back about it gives me cramps in my hands!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 01:41 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Scraping is what I did after I could pick no more..... Man- Just thinking back about it gives me cramps in my hands!
Letting my fingernails grow out as you read this..

Really wish mine was in better shape, but I guess I'll be more comfortable flying her now.

Wish I could track down a new dorsal for her.

I'd love to find out the history of my plane.. How the heck do you bust the fiberglass on these planes? I think an asteroid must have fallen from the sky and hit it as these are really tough fuses, well, except for the dorsal assembly.

Was just reading how Hobie and his crew would set up beer cans on the ridge and see who could knock the most down in a single pass. Back in the 70's they were also popular for combat as they are so tough and you could get all the parts from the factory. I guess the wooden glider guys didn't like the Hawks much as they tended to fly right through a balsa plane.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:58 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Dang, my buddy asked me to come over to my place to show me something... He found a great deal on another Hobie Hawk. This is the second one for him in three days!! Arghh. Worst off all it is in great condition! I've been looking for Hobie deals for years, and suddenly they seem to be all over the place. Too funny.

I'll get some pics of his new plane soon. It still has the original primer on the fuse, no signs of any breaks, and well built. Think he is the third owner on this one, and the last owner just stored it. It has been flown and used, and that kind of makes it even nicer to me, it has a nice used look, but no damage. He currently plans to store it as is, and we will restore and fly our more abused versions. Maybe he will fly it later...?

Just Saturday I was telling him how rare these planes are...
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:04 AM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,208 Posts
As gorgous as she is....

How does the Hobby Hawk fly, compared to something like say an Ava?
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:24 AM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46
How does the Hobby Hawk fly, compared to something like say an Ava?
Well, I don't quite know what an Ava is, but I know Oly II, paragon, two meter gnome real well, foam wings, and an F3b ship or two. And it flies like a .........

Hobie Hawk.

Truth is, It has its own personality. It doesn't like to be slowed down, because of it's small vertical surface- It will get real "yawy" and get into this dutch roll thing that everyone calls the "hobie roll". The wing is pretty thin, so keeping the steam up isn't really that much of a problem, but the nose down attitude takes a little while for some to get used to. (the tendency to try and level the airplane out will slow her too much) One last thing to add is that this plane is very easy to overcorrect in yaw. I have found that bumping the stick once or twice and let go usually results in a pretty smooth turn (slow speed) with no rolling pendulum thingy, but at speed, slow and smoothly moving the stick is the best. * Typical high speed (for this plane) turn* : gently and smoothly apply some rudder and hold for a second, then instead of letting go of the stick like you would on a full house ship, you slowly decrease the input back to zero stick. Makes the difference between night and day!

While she has these unique traits, she sure is beautiful scooting by on a low pass. I think this is one of the many reasons the Hobie is so desirable- you kind of have to work for it.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:32 AM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
Dang, my buddy asked me to come over to my place to show me something... He found a great deal on another Hobie Hawk. This is the second one for him in three days!! Arghh. Worst off all it is in great condition! I've been looking for Hobie deals for years, and suddenly they seem to be all over the place. Too funny.

I'll get some pics of his new plane soon. It still has the original primer on the fuse, no signs of any breaks, and well built. Think he is the third owner on this one, and the last owner just stored it. It has been flown and used, and that kind of makes it even nicer to me, it has a nice used look, but no damage. He currently plans to store it as is, and we will restore and fly our more abused versions. Maybe he will fly it later...?

Just Saturday I was telling him how rare these planes are...
All these deals are KILLING ME!
And I can't spend anything until the escrow closes, the house is re-painted, carpeted, moved into, the new kitchen cabinets and counters installed, and the baby comes. Geez! Guess I'm screwed for the next 3 months!

We all have to get these hobies together from time to time! Maybe some sort of slermal gathering? I'm digging into my memory banks, and I am having a hell of a time trying to remember where it is, but it was an SC2 contest like 16 or 17 years ago that I was at and there was a slope off of the back side too. SULA? Visalia? Hell- It's probably a strip mall now anyways.

I have a winch (manual retrieve) that we could string out for the adventurers!!!
Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:09 AM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Truth is, It has its own personality. It doesn't like to be slowed down, because of it's small vertical surface- It will get real "yawy" and get into this dutch roll thing that everyone calls the "hobie roll". The wing is pretty thin, so keeping the steam up isn't really that much of a problem, but the nose down attitude takes a little while for some to get used to. (the tendency to try and level the airplane out will slow her too much) One last thing to add is that this plane is very easy to overcorrect in yaw. I have found that bumping the stick once or twice and let go usually results in a pretty smooth turn (slow speed) with no rolling pendulum thingy, but at speed, slow and smoothly moving the stick is the best. * Typical high speed (for this plane) turn* : gently and smoothly apply some rudder and hold for a second, then instead of letting go of the stick like you would on a full house ship, you slowly decrease the input back to zero stick. Makes the difference between night and day!

While she has these unique traits, she sure is beautiful scooting by on a low pass. I think this is one of the many reasons the Hobie is so desirable- you kind of have to work for it.
You didn't mention it's rather bizarre landing behavior caused by the droop nose and the insane wing incidence, exacerbated by the need to keep the speed up to avoid the problems created by the undersized vertical and excessive dihedral. (Whew that was hard to say in one breath :-)
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:44 AM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS
You didn't mention it's rather bizarre landing behavior caused by the droop nose and the insane wing incidence, exacerbated by the need to keep the speed up to avoid the problems created by the undersized vertical and excessive dihedral. (Whew that was hard to say in one breath :-)

Ya, kind of like the feeling I got when driving my buddy's old Vette, looks really cool, but handles like a barge comared to say, my '06 Civic.

Kind of what I figured and heard, non the less, a very good looking ship, like the old Vette, great for a Sunday drive....
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:19 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Take my opinion as if from a guy that only flew one for a few minutes many years ago, because that is my experience level... Now that I have one I am even more impressed by the plane

They are an active plane that does respond to your inputs. If you are smooth, you will get smooth responses. If you want to throw it around the sky, it is ready for that too. I think they are a great light to medium slope plane. In this setting they really shine. And don't be fooled, these are pretty tough birds. I am flat out amazed at how tough the fuses are. It is not hard to imagine one slicing through a balsa floater without much concern. As Hobie said you could not break the nose with a sledge hammer.

The odd behavior of this plane is a result of having no stabilizers. It is designed to be an active and fun plane, much like a Hobie board or sail boat, they are all designed to fit his personality, go out there and rip it up.

Interesting things about the Hobie Hawk. It is rumored to be the first ARF and also the first ARC. It is one of the first foam core wings. It was the first to use such a variety of materials and plastics. It is designed to pull apart and transport in its foam case, this case is so good that it is rare to find a Hawk without its case, even 35 years later! If you don't like the looks, surely you can appreciate these aspects. This was a cutting edge plane in many regards, and Hobie did not compromise anywhere in its design. He built what he wanted, and that may not be what you want. There are few planes that survive from around 1974, yet there are still a lot of Hawks, I think that says a lot for these planes. (Good or bad)

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:25 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46
Ya, kind of like the feeling I got when driving my buddy's old Vette, looks really cool, but handles like a barge comared to say, my '06 Civic.
Now compare that vintage Vette to a Vintage Honda and tell me what you rather own. Old cars suck in comparison to modern cars. Hell Your Civic will probably beat most any 70's Super Car around a track. But this has nothing to do with these planes.

I much rather have a Hawk then say a modern ARF, and the cost is very similar depending on the deal you can find.

Even though this plane was put into production before any of our major radio brands even got into the market place.. It was designed around carrying a brick radio! Imagine what it would be like if designed for our current radio gear and tastes.
Site Sponsor