HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2009, 12:11 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts

Here's the pic from the Hobie hawk website illustrating how to "tame your hawk" but I just don't like it one bit- At least I feel better about the mod being done in this picture..... at least it was an "accepted method"....
exciter900rr is offline Find More Posts by exciter900rr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2009, 12:20 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Second on the "Nice job!". You went from "sow's ear to silk purse" in no time at all. After paint and new covering, that's going to be pristine.

Excellent,

Mike

ps: keep it stock; the lines of that glider are classic.
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Aug 22, 2009, 01:09 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz
Second on the "Nice job!". You went from "sow's ear to silk purse" in no time at all. After paint and new covering, that's going to be pristine.

Excellent,

Mike

ps: keep it stock; the lines of that glider are classic.
Trust me! It'll be stock!!!
Like I said, I have a deadline- I can't be dilly dallying around here!
I did however realize that I forgot to order two colors of monokote from my LHS- I thought I had them on hand, but just remnants..... Sheez!- That's 5 different colors.... Gonna be wild!

Just to add to the thread while I'm off at the zoo, the plane will be covered in trans yellow, trans orange, trans red, trans blue, and black with a black fuse. The cool thing is, my color choice had nothing to do with the former color scheme of the hobie- It just so happened that the same colors were on it when we brought it down from storage and I acquired it.

OK off to San Diego to see Lions, Tigers, and Bears- Oh my!
Old Aug 22, 2009, 01:14 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Kinda like this, but obviously on a hobie... My mind fails me right now, but I found this pic in a for sale ad here and disclosed that I was gonna steal the scheme- Hopefully the pic of the member doesn't offend him by being in this thread.....**** Fixed that**** Still, If so, PM me and I'll remove it-
Last edited by exciter900rr; Aug 24, 2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:09 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
OK... a little update...

I got the misc. pieces gooped to fill blemishes, re-constructed a missing piece of the tail skid/rudder wire retainer, primed and wet sanded the fuse, got a coat of black paint on it, and I'm going to start covering it tonight...
I'm also gonna repaint the fuse, as it doesn't meet my standards due to being a cheap a$$ and not having enough to get nice wet coats.... Try to make it stretch = re-do!

Pics
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:17 AM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
OK... DONE!

There is still the re-painting the fuse thing, which I am not too pleased with my impatient self about- After that is done, I'll install the radio gear- AR5000 and 2 DS821's. It should be ready to fly by the weekend, and I dunno if I want to hold out til the fun fly, or maiden toss it at a park out here a few times so nothing silly goes down on the slope. Yeah- I'll toss it a few times first.

I'm posting a few final pics of the covering, and a breakdown of how I cut the monokote for the graphics. Super simple, super good results, and super cheap!
Each graphic is made of cut off scraps usually, = free, and the only cost is one x-acto blade each. use a new blade each time, and have great success- don't and watch them tear, and your super fine lines won't be so fine...

Enjoy!
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:25 AM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
8 days.... LOL!

Yeah- I know.... I have to look at that camera!!!!! I just know I messed with something on it- and forget how to "un mess" it up.
Last edited by exciter900rr; Aug 27, 2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 02:47 AM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
I just couldn't take it! I re-painted the fuse, only this time with lacquer. I "went for it" and didn't prime it, just went over the black enamel that was re-wet sanded, and all turned out super! (cross your fingers something freaky doesn't go down in the garage tonight!!!)
I found the stuff at lowes, and it only comes in white, gray, clear, and black. It goes on smoooooth! It also looks to have a better finish than enamel, but in the heat out here it (enamel) seems to fish eye, and get solvent pop real easy. (tiny bubbles in the paint, like dust in it, just bubbles) They say to use the enamel between 60* and 85* or something, but this time of year the only place fitting is in the house! LOL!

By the way, I'll post some flight pics soon, even better, if you're in southern California in the next couple weeks you should try to make it out to the Little Mountain Classic Old School Fly and show and tell on Sunday Sept 13th in San Berdoo.
She'll be there, and if anyone has a hobie and want's to join in, or an "old school" sloper or thermal ship from the past, The more the merrier!!!!!!!
Old Aug 27, 2009, 03:37 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,022 Posts
Thank you for posting this thread. I found it not only enjoyable from a nostolgic point of view but also very educational. It is always good to see an old classic refurbed to flying condition. Keep us posted on the flights! Don.
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:41 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Thanks a lot for the compliment Don-
I hope it was somewhat educational- I'm gonna throw a couple more tidbits in here with the radio install, and how to make a good battery pack cheap, and all "shade tree like" from the 2450MAh energizer batteries. Silly, I guess, but what the heck.

I'm still beside myself with how that lacquer paint turned out....... It's like it has been wet sanded and polished! Definitely gonna use that paint again!
Old Aug 27, 2009, 09:09 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Fort Lewis, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
You sir are an artist with a Exacto blade I have tried many times to do graphics in Monokote and it has ended badly . So I just layout the graphics in mspaint and get them cut in vinyl with good effect. You are also giving me and idea for a retro scheme for a Aquila that is in the building queue.

Soar Dude
Soar_dude is offline Find More Posts by Soar_dude
Old Aug 27, 2009, 09:38 PM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soar_dude
You sir are an artist with a Exacto blade I have tried many times to do graphics in Monokote and it has ended badly . So I just layout the graphics in mspaint and get them cut in vinyl with good effect. You are also giving me and idea for a retro scheme for a Aquila that is in the building queue.

Soar Dude
Thanks man! A "learned artist" possibly- tons of practice makes close to perfect! I always try to one up my last covering job... But with this one, less is more! I wasn't going to do the graphics on the wings, but the yellow was just too yellow. I want to add that I have been covering and building for 20 years plus. It (unfortunately) didn't come to me overnight.... Plenty of botched jobs for sure!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:31 AM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Not relevant, but just to keep it up to the top.....

Another of my past covering jobs. two planes ago.....
I really do enjoy the hobby for just that- THE HOBBY- There's just something about building, or re-building a plane, taking the time to make everything "just so" and enjoying it when it takes to the sky........

Thanks to everyone for sharing the hobby with me, and the camaraderie that goes with it!

KM
Old Sep 14, 2009, 01:28 AM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,855 Posts
Saw your plane today.. She looks great! Was so neat to see so many nice Hobies in one place. I think there were 3 flyable, the one for sale, and the Super Hawk.. oh yea, and Tom scored a C-Hawk in MINT condition for a very nice price.

I bought a Hobie yesterday that needs a lot of love, and my neighbor bought the one for sale at the event today. So we will be doing our own restorations soon.

Mine seems to have mostly fuselage issues, the worst of which is a badly damaged dorsal assembly. Seems these are hard to locate anymore, so may have to rebuild mine. The wing is in fair shape with at least one major repair, and a single trailing edge wiggle. Tail feathers look pretty good. Servo tray is rather butchered, luckily it has a black canopy.

My buddies has had a fresh rebuild from the last owner, but the wings are rough with a lot of trailing edge wiggles and a large repair that looks like it may buckle if the plane is flown. (Covering puckers in the area when wing is slightly loaded.)

So we will start pulling the covering and sanding paint to see what evil lurks under the skin. Our goal is to produce a restoration as close to yours as our skills allow. Hope you won't mind if we post pics up in this thread..?

I'm currently restoring a 15 year old thermal ship, and should have it done soon. Trying not to start the Hobie project until that one is done.... but...

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor