HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2003, 01:39 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
What's really up with France?

Every time I read or hear something from them I shake my head. Now they're meeting with the Syrians. It's hard to believe but their actions continue to support sediment that they are anti-American...

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=2555703
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Apr 13, 2003, 02:27 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Sorry, perhaps you were reading a different article to the one posted which says nothing about France being in talks with Syria.

The view he expresses about it being time to think about peace and getting Iraw in order rathering than pursuing another country at this time is one we're also seeing here in the UK. We need to restore order, get food and aid to the population after all it was in their name we're there.

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Apr 13, 2003, 07:00 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
2/3 of France's petroleum came from Iraq... they don't want to drive Deux Cheveaux again
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Apr 14, 2003, 05:46 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
The French aren't but there's a visit programmed tomorrow by a British Foreign Office minister
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:12 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
I think France just got a wake-up call from elections held over the weekend:

PARIS (AP) - Worried by the growth of Islamic fundamentalism in France, the country's interior minister has threatened to expel any foreign Muslim religious leader who disseminates extremist propaganda.

Nicolas Sarkozy issued the warning after the unexpectedly strong showing of a Muslim fundamentalist party in weekend elections for a new council to represent France's various Islamic factions.

The Union of Islamic Organizations of France - inspired by Egypt's banned fundamentalist Muslim Brotherhood - won 19 of the council's 58 seats. The moderate, Algerian-backed Mosque of Paris, which was considered a favorite, won just 15 seats.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...041603088.html
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Apr 16, 2003, 01:57 PM
Too Little Too Late
MICHIGAN... 48189
Joined Jan 2002
323 Posts
France

Tell me, who really gives a D--- about France?????
BIGSAPPY is offline Find More Posts by BIGSAPPY
Old Apr 16, 2003, 02:40 PM
These go to eleven...
Hickory, NC
Joined Jan 2001
446 Posts
Re: France

Quote:
Originally posted by BIGSAPPY
Tell me, who really gives a D--- about France?????
dstout is offline Find More Posts by dstout
Old Apr 16, 2003, 03:13 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,073 Posts
Yep. France is (should be) no longer part of the equation in world affairs. (irrelevant?)..... As the UN. Except for humanitarian aid only..... They are and have been 'not helpful'....... See the reports just starting to trickle out of Iraq on maybe why they and a couple of other countries have been unhelpful ???
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; Apr 16, 2003 at 04:03 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 04:43 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
The picture above must be that of French President Jacque Chirac in his younger years.

We must quit deluding ourselves that France is a friend and ally. France will always be in world affairs for France only and will sell out any friend or ally at the mere hint of a better deal. France sold nuclear technology to Iraq in the first place and the Exocet missiles to the Argentines that sunk the HMS Sheffield that killed so many British sailors. France is a leading exporter of advanced weapons technology to renegade states throughout the world. France was a brutal colonial power that withdrew from NATO when the USA opposed continuation of its oppressive colonial rule. And France voluntarily became Vichy in World War II and played an active role in the killing of thousands of Jews. The French themselves are lovely people as I came to find out when I visited over 10 years ago. It hurts me to say that I am a French-decendent, but France needs to boycotted economically and politically in the most strenuous terms for as long as it takes to make them a responsible and civilized nation. For myself, I will never knowingly buy French goods or support any French business again nor will I ever travel to France as long as France's irresponsibility towards world affairs and blatant stirring up of anti-American sentiment throughout the world continues.
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Apr 16, 2003, 04:46 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
The picture above must be that of French President Jacque Chirac in his younger years.

We must quit deluding ourselves that France is a friend and ally. France will always be in world affairs for France only and will sell out any friend or ally at the mere hint of a better deal. France sold nuclear technology to Iraq in the first place and the Exocet missiles to the Argentines that sunk the HMS Sheffield and that killed many British sailors. France is a leading exporter of advanced weapons technology to renegade states throughout the world. France was a brutal colonial power that withdrew from NATO when the USA opposed continuation of its oppressive colonial rule. And France voluntarily became Vichy in World War II and played an active role in the killing of thousands of Jews. The French themselves are lovely people as I came to find out when I visited over 10 years ago. It hurts me to say that I am a French-decendent, but France needs to boycotted economically and politically in the most strenuous terms for as long as it takes to make them a responsible and civilized nation. For myself, I will never knowingly buy French goods or support any French business again nor will I ever travel to France as long as France's irresponsibility towards world affairs and blatant stirring up of anti-American sentiment throughout the world continues.
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:46 PM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
I hadn't really thought about this before, but I think maybe the French reluctance to support the war in Iraq has something to do with the French experience in Algeria.

About as ugly as it gets. And France eventually pulled out after they had "won" the Battle of Algiers...but world opinion turned against the manner in which they did it.
NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:55 PM
Sometimes it works!
Caldera, Costa Rica
Joined May 2000
897 Posts
You raise a very interesting point. I had not considered it that context, but that was indeed enough to leave a very nasty taste in their mouth. And of course their disasterous experience in southeast asia didn't help matters.
GYROGEARLOOSE is offline Find More Posts by GYROGEARLOOSE
Old Apr 17, 2003, 12:43 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,395 Posts
Guys,

Sorry, I had to comment!

Whether I agree or not with France's actions in the lead up to the Iraq war, I feel that many of these appends are of the flavour "Anyone who disagree's with the good 'ol US of A must have something wrong with them / can't be trusted etc"

People MUST be allowed their opinions, isn't that what you'd expect in the US? Freedom of speech and all that? Or is it 'freedom of speech, as long as you agree with my view'?

So how come you don't expect anybody else to be allowed it?

Regarding doing deals with the baddies. From what I hear EVERY government has had dealings with 'evil regimes' - UK happily sells arnaments to India / Pakistan etc, US supported Iraq (including weapons etc),France supported xxxxxxx, so it goes on.

You need to get past the jingoistic knee-jerk reaction brought on by somebody disagreeing with you, and be prepared to listen to the other side, maybe there is something in their argument that you've been blind to!

I agree with you, that views and actions diametrically opposed to your own, can be somewhat pinful to accept, but that's what maturity is all about!

Just my 'five pennorth' (2cents?),

Cheers,
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Apr 17, 2003, 01:03 PM
Lubbock Texas
Joined Nov 2002
459 Posts
ClipperBill Hit the nail right on the head.

The French are out for the French and only the French. They ALLWAYS have been and ALLWAYS will be. End of story.
elp914 is offline Find More Posts by elp914
Old Apr 17, 2003, 09:19 PM
Too Little Too Late
MICHIGAN... 48189
Joined Jan 2002
323 Posts
Equality

Why is it that the French can denigrate the US, but when we reciprocate we are told that we should remember that we advocate free speech. Appears that the free speech is good for everybody but Americans.

Jerry
BIGSAPPY is offline Find More Posts by BIGSAPPY