HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which quadrocopters and/or tricopters do you fly?
Aeroquad 209 7.21%
Alien Jump Jet 48 1.66%
Alien Saucer 34 1.17%
Draganflyer DF-IV 33 1.14%
Draganflyer DF-V TI 23 0.79%
Draganflyer Experimental Brushless (Spectrolutions) 39 1.34%
Draganflyer X6 32 1.10%
Quadpowered 236 8.14%
Microdrone 32 1.10%
Mikrokopter V1.0-ME 102 3.52%
Mikrokopter V1.0-ME with NAVI 193 6.66%
Mini-Mixer quadrocopter 29 1.00%
Mini-Mixer tricopter 27 0.93%
Self-build quadrocopter flight board/firmware 1,299 44.79%
Self-build tricopter flight board/firmware 704 24.28%
UAVP 73 2.52%
UAVP-NG 26 0.90%
UAVX 73 2.52%
Walkera UFO #4 32 1.10%
Walkera UFO #5 46 1.59%
Walkera UFO #8 39 1.34%
X-BL 31 1.07%
X-BL FunPilot 25 0.86%
X-BL Autopilot, ReasearchPilot, Hornet, Hummingbird, Falcon 14 0.48%
X-UFO 64 2.21%
Y-UFO LA Heli 24 0.83%
Y-UAVP 17 0.59%
Y-UAVX 29 1.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2900. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by jesolins, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:11 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi D,
Welcome to multicopters! Try reading the TIPs and looking at the Beginner/Noob Info Threads section on the first post of this Mega Index to begin your journey.

You probably found the MQX very simple to fly with your heli experience and skill set behind you. The differences come in the tuning and maintenance and the decipline to do proper pre and post-flight inspections for reliabale multicopter flying. That of course becomes much more important as the cost of your system goes up when you start adding a more capable multicopter, AVP and FPV equipment.

Let me know if you want to sell your DraganFlyer X6. Did it come with the special Tx? I started my multicopter journey with the Draganflyer/Spectrolutions and some other multicopters such as the XUFO and Mikrokopter 10 years ago Time sure does fly when you are flying and having fun

Give me a link to the writeups you mentioned so I can get an idea of what you are looking for in a multicopter tutorial. It sounds like a good job for someone else though as keeping up this index with all the new developments is a time eater

Again welcome to multicopters!
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

A local PD originally purchased the X6 as an alternative to a full size copter....I did have to make some minor repairs before I attempted to fly it ,I imagine that probably influenced their decision to shelve it.With a lack of experience flying copters in general ,my early attempts at flying it were not good ,so I too shelved it for a long while ,.til my skill sets improved to the point I'd feel comfortable trying again.While I have self taught myself to fly a variety of co-axials I've yet to try a "true" copter.While there are some good tutorials to help a newbie learn to fly conventional helis they dont seem to translate real well to Quads.Maybe its just me.
The MQX has been a blast to fly ,especially after I improved its visual orientation with a couple minor mods gleaned from these forums.At this rate I dont anticipate it will be long before I attempt to tackle the X6 again.

I wont be interested in selling the X6 anytime soon and yes it came with the "special" tx as well as the full compliment of tote box ,charger and ground station equip....as I was the only bidder and evidently the auctioneer thought it was only a "toy",you really dont want to know how little I paid for it at ...
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Apr 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:59 PM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
going cheaper

From first post:

"--The Alien Air Jump Jet and Saucer quads ~$60-130, and the soon to be released Quadpod ~$TBD: http://www.snelflight.co.uk/ forums: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813134 and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1319214"

Actual price: $37.70
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/rc-flying...e-control.html

Saludos,
Jose
Doblao is offline Find More Posts by Doblao
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,419 Posts
Hi Jose,
Thanks for letting me know. I thought those were not being sold anymore. That one looks like it is probably a Saucer knock-off. From what I can see, the flight controller board is a little different than the original. Several years ago Thinkgeek sold them for$30 but it was a short special sale. Nice price for that indoor toy
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblao View Post
From first post:

"--The Alien Air Jump Jet and Saucer quads ~$60-130, and the soon to be released Quadpod ~$TBD: http://www.snelflight.co.uk/ forums: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813134 and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1319214"

Actual price: $37.70
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/rc-flying...e-control.html

Saludos,
Jose
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Apr 19, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:26 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,628 Posts
Jim, I am sure I missed it so forgive me but is there an entry for gimbals? Looking for timing belt or gear drive offerings.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,419 Posts
Hi P,
There is a Camera mounts and landing gear: section. Not sure if any of the links have what you need, but you might try asking in those threads.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Jim, I am sure I missed it so forgive me but is there an entry for gimbals? Looking for timing belt or gear drive offerings.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:40 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,628 Posts
Jim, thanks. My vid tx just burned up so maybe I will rethink the whole thing. First off is to try to find a replacement 5.8 tx that works well with the generic 8 channel rx.

Quote:
Hi P,
There is a Camera mounts and landing gear: section. Not sure if any of the links have what you need, but you might try asking in those threads.
Cheers,
Jim
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:43 PM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
388 Posts
Snip from post one.

Quote:
you have to purchase the boards from Germany, which incurs additional shipping and 19% German value added tax
Just to point out that European companies exporting goods to outside the EU should not be charging VAT (Value added tax).

The way it works is I pay VAT in my VAT registered business on the components I buy and I get to reclaim quite a lot of it. I then add VAT on my finished product which I pay the government on behalf of the European customer.
It's not a tax on my business, I'm only passing it on on behalf of the customer.
If that customer is outside the EU and doesn't have to pay VAT I don't charge it, because I don't have to.
I do have to declare it and provide invoicing in my VAT returns, but I'm happy to do so to get the sale.

If I import from say the USA or China, I have to pay import duties and VAT.

If you are dealing with an EU company from outside the EU ask about the VAT. It could save you 19%.

Switzerland while not a part the EU has similar laws (to streamline trade with the EU), so should not charge VAT to exports outside the EU either.

You'll have to deal with local import duties and taxes, but you want to make sure those are on top of 100% of the cost and not 119% cost.

BE SURE to ask about VAT.
docinfrance is offline Find More Posts by docinfrance
Last edited by docinfrance; Apr 24, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,419 Posts
Good points D,
That VAT was a nasty surprise several times when I was ordering X-BL and MK parts several years ago. Back then they passed it on to the customer. If htat has changed then it is well worth asking about it.
Thanks and Cheers,
Jim
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
Please suggest a CF frame under $75-150$
only frame no electronics
should have ground clearance to fix camera mount (for camcorder)
eagle19 is offline Find More Posts by eagle19
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:48 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle19 View Post
Please suggest a CF frame under $75-150$
only frame no electronics
should have ground clearance to fix camera mount (for camcorder)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ame_550mm.html

You'll need to mod for ground clearance. I put pool noodle legs on mine over the talons.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FrSky Taranis Apparel
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
657 Posts
nvm
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old May 01, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
anyone know where i can find these pin/plugs? preferably in the US.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Last edited by scub; May 02, 2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old May 02, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,419 Posts
S,
Those are single row header pins 2.54mm. Break or snip off the number of pins required.
-- www.radioshack.com (also has small breadboard pcbs)
-- www.mouser.com
-- www.digikey.com
-- http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub View Post
anyone know where i can find these pin/plugs? preferably in the US.
Old May 02, 2012, 11:45 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
got the board at radioshack (huge slab for $3) couldn't locate the pins at two stores but i'll get them on on ebay for as cheap as they are.

thanks
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old May 02, 2012, 11:58 PM View Post
X--ALIEN--X
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while X--ALIEN--X edits it. Show it to me anyway.