HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which quadrocopters and/or tricopters do you fly?
Aeroquad 208 7.21%
Alien Jump Jet 48 1.66%
Alien Saucer 34 1.18%
Draganflyer DF-IV 33 1.14%
Draganflyer DF-V TI 23 0.80%
Draganflyer Experimental Brushless (Spectrolutions) 39 1.35%
Draganflyer X6 32 1.11%
Quadpowered 236 8.18%
Microdrone 31 1.07%
Mikrokopter V1.0-ME 102 3.53%
Mikrokopter V1.0-ME with NAVI 193 6.69%
Mini-Mixer quadrocopter 29 1.00%
Mini-Mixer tricopter 27 0.94%
Self-build quadrocopter flight board/firmware 1,289 44.66%
Self-build tricopter flight board/firmware 699 24.22%
UAVP 73 2.53%
UAVP-NG 26 0.90%
UAVX 73 2.53%
Walkera UFO #4 32 1.11%
Walkera UFO #5 46 1.59%
Walkera UFO #8 39 1.35%
X-BL 31 1.07%
X-BL FunPilot 25 0.87%
X-BL Autopilot, ReasearchPilot, Hornet, Hummingbird, Falcon 14 0.49%
X-UFO 64 2.22%
Y-UFO LA Heli 24 0.83%
Y-UAVP 17 0.59%
Y-UAVX 29 1.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2886. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by jesolins, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 03:36 PM
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
Help needed please! I recently bought a second hadn Walkera UFO 5 as a cheap way of learning to fly quadcopters. I won't bore you with all the self inflicted mishaps and steadily mounting pile of scrap rotors, but my UFO has just developed an alarming tendency without warning. I set up as normal, with all the trims neutral, bound it to the TX in the usual way, but for some reason it has decided to just spin as it rises and won't accept directional commands. All the rotors seem to be functioning normally and if I hold it in my hand the lift is definitely there on all four corners, so I don't think it's a motor.

Could this possibly be transmitter failure as it started just after I had been dleiberately rotating it to stop it flying across the room and hitting something?

Cheers, John
timesearch is offline Find More Posts by timesearch
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:13 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
John,
It sounds to me like the Yaw gyro might have failed or been damaged. It is the upright gyro on the board, so take a close look. Here is the Walkera thread to ask others there too: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743878
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by timesearch View Post
Help needed please! I recently bought a second hadn Walkera UFO 5 as a cheap way of learning to fly quadcopters. I won't bore you with all the self inflicted mishaps and steadily mounting pile of scrap rotors, but my UFO has just developed an alarming tendency without warning. I set up as normal, with all the trims neutral, bound it to the TX in the usual way, but for some reason it has decided to just spin as it rises and won't accept directional commands. All the rotors seem to be functioning normally and if I hold it in my hand the lift is definitely there on all four corners, so I don't think it's a motor.

Could this possibly be transmitter failure as it started just after I had been dleiberately rotating it to stop it flying across the room and hitting something?

Cheers, John
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:38 AM
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
Thanks Jim

I've had a look and nothing appears to be burnt out. I tried hovering just off the floor and moving the trim. It does reverse the spin, but there doesn't seem to be a central holding setting at which it doesn't rotate. If I end up replacing the board I'll probably end up re-designing the thing from the ground up, with a stronger landing skid and a built in camera mount.

The annoying thing is that it now hovers for the first time since I've had it, but won't go anywhere just as I was getting used to the feel of the control sticks.
Cheers, John
timesearch is offline Find More Posts by timesearch
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:23 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi AP,
You will likely get good responses to your photography specific questions in either the AP forum or the Multirotor forum. (...)
Hello Jim and thanks a lot for your answer !

I created the thread here :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259622

and it is now starting slowly, I hope to share a lot of good info, get great aerial photos in the end and help others to do the same !

I hope to see you there

Alain
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:01 PM
She blinded me with science!
Vancouver
Joined Sep 2009
437 Posts
New Entry

Hi Jim,

Here's an interesting (although costly) addition to your master list. This thing has quite a number of features and apparently the CyberQuad out of Australia uses this controller. FWIW

http://www.procerusuav.com/productsGroundControl.php

Dan
FourPlay is offline Find More Posts by FourPlay
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:07 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
Dan,
Wow...$5k for only the flight control board...
Thanks and Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourPlay View Post
Hi Jim,

Here's an interesting (although costly) addition to your master list. This thing has quite a number of features and apparently the CyberQuad out of Australia uses this controller. FWIW

http://www.procerusuav.com/productsGroundControl.php

Dan
Old Dec 15, 2010, 01:11 AM
Joined Jun 2010
12 Posts
dead fc after update

Hey guys,
So here i am, playing around with the new hexa, when i am in kopter tool and decide to set the mixer.
Unfortunately the new version of kopter tool is not compatibile with my FC (V.2.1) , and i need to update the firmware i am told.
So i download the new hex firmware file for the FC and load it up in the terminal window.

Flight-Ctrl_MEGA1284p_V0_82b.hex

i see something like "FLASH Erase ........... ERROR"

in the text. and then a few more bits and then NOTHING.

My FC is dead! i cannot seem to do anything with it.
Has anyone done this before? know a remedy?, i see someone else has done so at least i am not the only one! but neither of us seem to know the answer

Any Help?
kingruar is offline Find More Posts by kingruar
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:22 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,166 Posts
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:01 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
Kingruar,
Re-post this in the MK thread to get lots of help: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...336561&page=24
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingruar View Post
Hey guys,
So here i am, playing around with the new hexa, when i am in kopter tool and decide to set the mixer.
Unfortunately the new version of kopter tool is not compatibile with my FC (V.2.1) , and i need to update the firmware i am told.
So i download the new hex firmware file for the FC and load it up in the terminal window.

Flight-Ctrl_MEGA1284p_V0_82b.hex

i see something like "FLASH Erase ........... ERROR"

in the text. and then a few more bits and then NOTHING.

My FC is dead! i cannot seem to do anything with it.
Has anyone done this before? know a remedy?, i see someone else has done so at least i am not the only one! but neither of us seem to know the answer

Any Help?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:27 AM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
very interesting innovative snap together frame, deserves a look for sure.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368970
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:53 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
Yes very clever. They will sell. No doubt about that. Nice demo of the FY-90Q too
Cheers,
Jim
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:48 AM
sales manager
china
Joined Sep 2010
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Please add the FrSky 2.4GHz system and the PPM enabled receiver:
http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowNews.asp?id=42
Usage report here on DOSD+:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3479
Lesnewell will test his sample soon on a mk.
add this too

http://hobbyprince.com/e_showproduct.asp?id=77
gemfan is offline Find More Posts by gemfan
Old Jan 26, 2011, 06:14 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
Hello Jim
I am looking for a flying platform for advanced aerial photo (see link to a specific advanced photo thread I posted earlier on this page).
I need something that is proven stable and not too complicated to use (ie well documented), so I need to choose if I go on the MK way or the UAVX way - both are very good platforms it seems.

I need a stable (and redundant) octo to lift up about 1.5kg of photo gear. Fligh time not an issue.
But I plan to use long lenses so I really need something very bery stable (not only low vibration due to built), I guess that means the controller CPU and sensors are key here.

To keep cost reasonable, I am thinking about either :

1/
MK (quad 1.35 clone for training then upgrade to octo OEM 2.1), I2C>PWN converter, Turnigy ESC 40A and Turnigy engines, Turnigy 9CH Tx/Rx, Rusty upgradable frame

2/
UAVX (takes out the I2C>PWN problem, but board is more expensive - no cheap-training option), Turnigy ESC 40A and Turnigy engines, Turnigy 9CH Tx/Rx, Rusty upgradable frame

my question is, based on your wide experience : will UAVX deliver as much as MK in term of stability and ease of use ?

I am a bit lost with all the information available on both platforms ... thanks a lot fr the help !

Alain
www.alaindavreux.com
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:17 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
Hi Alain,
Both MK and UAVX will give you a stable AVP platform when properly setup especially with a larger octo. An octo is the only platform that can offer reliable redundancy for a safe motor out landing. You will be able to do AVP with either, so your choice there. A telephoto lens on these craft will be a build challenge as they would not be forgiving at all for vibrations. Much care will have to be put into your camera servo mount and isolation, which is a art in itself.
Cheers,
Jim
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:49 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
Hello Jim

Thank you for the platform confirmation. I might go with UAVX for the sake of simplicity (to avoid the I2C issue).

As per the long lens, yes I understand it will be quite a challenge. I also need full remote control of the camera (live view) and fine/quick focus control, that will also proove very challenging. If we solve both then I will be able to do the kind of images that I want, it will be a lot of fun. See my thread about advanced still photo for more

Anyway thanks again for all the help, especially in this thread !
Alain