SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which quadrocopters and/or tricopters do you fly?
Aeroquad 211 7.12%
Alien Jump Jet 48 1.62%
Alien Saucer 35 1.18%
Draganflyer DF-IV 33 1.11%
Draganflyer DF-V TI 23 0.78%
Draganflyer Experimental Brushless (Spectrolutions) 39 1.32%
Draganflyer X6 32 1.08%
Quadpowered 246 8.31%
Microdrone 33 1.11%
Mikrokopter V1.0-ME 102 3.44%
Mikrokopter V1.0-ME with NAVI 193 6.52%
Mini-Mixer quadrocopter 30 1.01%
Mini-Mixer tricopter 28 0.95%
Self-build quadrocopter flight board/firmware 1,336 45.10%
Self-build tricopter flight board/firmware 717 24.21%
UAVP 73 2.46%
UAVP-NG 26 0.88%
UAVX 73 2.46%
Walkera UFO #4 32 1.08%
Walkera UFO #5 46 1.55%
Walkera UFO #8 39 1.32%
X-BL 31 1.05%
X-BL FunPilot 25 0.84%
X-BL Autopilot, ReasearchPilot, Hornet, Hummingbird, Falcon 14 0.47%
X-UFO 64 2.16%
Y-UFO LA Heli 25 0.84%
Y-UAVP 17 0.57%
Y-UAVX 30 1.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2962. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by jesolins, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:06 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
try not to scare him with all those DIY parts those are good for building with FUn for sure. i may take on something like that soon but i will stick to pre populated boards for now... no patience

Happy flying jim,
when you get time to reply to my email from yesterday that be cool, thx m8

P.S. update your post again for i2c esc they are $12 EACH not $48 for each
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:11 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,550 Posts
Ken,
4x $12 is $48...math in public...
To each his own a famous person once said
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
try not to scare him with all those DIY parts those are good for building with FUn for sure. i may take on something like that soon but i will stick to pre populated boards for now... no patience
Happy flying jim,
when you get time to reply to my email from yesterday that be cool, thx m8
P.S. update your post again for i2c esc they are $12 EACH not $48 for each
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Ken,
4x $12 is $48...math in public...
To each his own a famous person once said
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
KEN=MY MK CLONE.......
frame = $45 shipped ( Damon )
motors 4 x $7= $28 ( HK )
i2C ESC 4 x $12 = $48 ( Chinese dealer)
FC = $150 but i got mine for $120 shipped
Props = $7 ( Gothelirc )
WIRE = $3 ( HK )
------------------------
not sure what your talking about thats what i said in my post, i was going off what you put here...

Quote:
JIM=--MK Clone ~$150 for FCB and ~$48 for 4x I2c ESC's = ~$198 Shops: ??? Not sure about the clone so maybe you can fill in the blanks Ken.
math in public jim!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:29 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,550 Posts
Ken,
Looks like it is correct then!
Fly safe!
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
not sure what your talking about thats what i said in my post, i was going off what you put here...
math in public jim!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Ken,
Looks like it is correct then!
Fly safe!
Cheers,
Jim
thats why i say you make my head hurt. do you actually fly anymore? havnt seen any new vids of yours in ever
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:03 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,550 Posts
Ken,
I'm too busy doing other important things in life... Sorry that I can't help ease your cranium pain...Soooo what is your point and excuse??...
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
thats why i say you make my head hurt. do you actually fly anymore? havnt seen any new vids of yours in ever
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Ken,
I'm too busy doing other important things in life... Sorry that I can't help ease your cranium pain...Soooo what is your point and excuse??...
Cheers,
Jim
no point or excuse really, i have been packing up the last month, took a promotion with my company and they are relocating us to florida, we leave next Saturday ill be sure to stop by and say hi along the way!

unlike you i find a way to fit flying in :P ah the fun of flying in the house while everyone sleeps
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:52 PM
Real name's Teja :)
USA, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined May 2008
1,388 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to quads.

I just finished building my first tricopter. I now would like to build a quad that is a little smaller and is able to do aerobatics like rolls. Dont need loops, just rolls. Also would like to setup my quad like as "X" rather than a "+". Do you think this can be accomplished with only 5 gyros? 4 for each motor and one for yaw? I know wuads are different in that they use the torque as yaw, but I think a gyro would be fine for that no?

If not and I have to use those programmed control boards, what exactly do I need, component wise and will I be able to program it myself? Provided that one you guys will kindly post their program online ? I have an electronics teacher in school I am friends with and he likes to program circuits and such.

Also, will I be able to get those control boards at a place like radioshack?

I plan to use 4 of the HXT 24g 1300kv motors with 4 15A escs. 5 hk401 gyros on a 3s setup.
teha99 is offline Find More Posts by teha99
Old Nov 22, 2010, 06:54 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,550 Posts
Ken,
Yes, quite unlike you, I prefer flying outdoor at high altitudes Most of my videos are just boring consisting of telemetry data of dots in the sky, so I don't post much of those I do this mostly in the daytime because I have better things to do at night
Congrats on your move! That is a long way for you from Chi town of only a few years ago Have a safe move from NM.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
no point or excuse really, i have been packing up the last month, took a promotion with my company and they are relocating us to florida, we leave next Saturday ill be sure to stop by and say hi along the way!

unlike you i find a way to fit flying in :P ah the fun of flying in the house while everyone sleeps
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:00 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,550 Posts
Hi,
Be sure to go through the first three posts of indexed data in this thread. That is where you will find pertinent info to help you decide on your build. Simon aka SSM and Signguy aka Bob have nice builds that are gyro only.. The Multiwiicopter and KK are very good at aerobatics and are not difficult to assemble and are low cost. See here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097355
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by teha99 View Post
Hey guys, I am new to quads.

I just finished building my first tricopter. I now would like to build a quad that is a little smaller and is able to do aerobatics like rolls. Dont need loops, just rolls. Also would like to setup my quad like as "X" rather than a "+". Do you think this can be accomplished with only 5 gyros? 4 for each motor and one for yaw? I know wuads are different in that they use the torque as yaw, but I think a gyro would be fine for that no?

If not and I have to use those programmed control boards, what exactly do I need, component wise and will I be able to program it myself? Provided that one you guys will kindly post their program online ? I have an electronics teacher in school I am friends with and he likes to program circuits and such.

Also, will I be able to get those control boards at a place like radioshack?

I plan to use 4 of the HXT 24g 1300kv motors with 4 15A escs. 5 hk401 gyros on a 3s setup.
Last edited by jesolins; Nov 22, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:01 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Ken,
Yes, quite unlike you, I prefer flying outdoor at high altitudes Most of my videos are just boring consisting of telemetry data of dots in the sky, so I don't post much of those I do this mostly in the daytime because I have better things to do at night
Congrats on your move! That is a long way for you from Chi town of only a few years ago Have a safe move from NM.
Cheers,
Jim
thx Jim,

I don't Prefer in the house lol that's just where I can fit it in with all the craziness with my 2 boys and one on the way. yes I jar only been here only 3 years. it's just to sandy and I need to see water and a nice pay raise downy hurt!
Last edited by Quad_Addict; Nov 22, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:43 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
hello all

I am a photographer comming to multicopter for getting a magic flying tripod

For sure I also hope to get some fun along the way, and learn new skills (but not too much, picture is the final result, not a 6 months painfull build ...).

Anyway :

- first of all, thank you very much all for great information sharing on this forum and especially the active people in usefull topics such as this one

- next, I have a lot of questions about doing high end photography at low atitude with multicopter
so far I could not see a main recap thread for still photography questions, there are a lot of things related to video but still info is pretty basic and spread

> so, if I start a thread dedicated on high end photography with multicopters, should I put it in mutirotor heli forum, or AP forum ?!?

> then, do you know of specific ressources/links/threads that treat advanced still photography question (for example what is the lowest shutter speed reachable with a given platform for a somehow close up subject with large aperture etc ...) ?

thanks again !
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:56 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,550 Posts
Hi AP,
You will likely get good responses to your photography specific questions in either the AP forum or the Multirotor forum. The helicopter Gents deal with this too, so take a look at those threads for anti-vibration photography ideas too.

In my quick look of your questions, the shutter speed is typically required to be high (250+) to minimize the effects of vibrations that are always present on this type of model. Minimizing those vibrations is an art form in itself... There are good threads listed in this Mega Index on the first page related to vibration reduction. Do share what you learn too!
Cheers,
Jim
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:52 AM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
961 Posts
Can't see these http://www.foxtechfpv.com/quadcopter...esc-p-204.html in the list at the top. Anyone know anything about them, and the company?

Peter
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:01 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,550 Posts
Hi Peter,
A few posts ago: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post16612955 $25 minimum shipping up to 500g. More info here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1300414
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Seddon View Post
Can't see these http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post16612824 in the list at the top. Anyone know anything about them, and the company?

Peter
Last edited by jesolins; Nov 30, 2010 at 01:06 PM.