SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which quadrocopters and/or tricopters do you fly?
Aeroquad 211 7.15%
Alien Jump Jet 48 1.63%
Alien Saucer 35 1.19%
Draganflyer DF-IV 33 1.12%
Draganflyer DF-V TI 23 0.78%
Draganflyer Experimental Brushless (Spectrolutions) 39 1.32%
Draganflyer X6 32 1.08%
Quadpowered 244 8.26%
Microdrone 33 1.12%
Mikrokopter V1.0-ME 102 3.45%
Mikrokopter V1.0-ME with NAVI 193 6.54%
Mini-Mixer quadrocopter 30 1.02%
Mini-Mixer tricopter 28 0.95%
Self-build quadrocopter flight board/firmware 1,332 45.11%
Self-build tricopter flight board/firmware 713 24.14%
UAVP 73 2.47%
UAVP-NG 26 0.88%
UAVX 73 2.47%
Walkera UFO #4 32 1.08%
Walkera UFO #5 46 1.56%
Walkera UFO #8 39 1.32%
X-BL 31 1.05%
X-BL FunPilot 25 0.85%
X-BL Autopilot, ReasearchPilot, Hornet, Hummingbird, Falcon 14 0.47%
X-UFO 64 2.17%
Y-UFO LA Heli 25 0.85%
Y-UAVP 17 0.58%
Y-UAVX 30 1.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2953. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by jesolins, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:07 PM
Joined Oct 2010
2 Posts
UAVx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
UAVX best bang for buck features/options and a proven track record... MHO
OK - maybe I spoke too soon when I said I was a builder - I meant more of a mechanical builder. Not so much on the electronics side of things.

Just having a look over their stuff (and I've not delved too deep in, so I might have the wrong impression) it looks like there is a fair bit to do on putting the controller system together.

Or is there a better way of getting a UAVx system?
ASmithee is offline Find More Posts by ASmithee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:52 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,532 Posts
Hi,
If you can solder, or practice soldering wires, you have the skills to put together a UAVX. Ken at Quadroufo.com will even put a wiring harness and the GPS wiring together for you for a fair price. That is about all the electronics soldering there is to do on it. Bullet connectors for the motors are soldered too if you are so inclined. You will have to use a PC or MAC to use the setup program and load the firmware updates, but that is not difficult either.
FWIW.
In case others are coming into the thread at this point, if you go to the first page you will find the Indexed information. Please let me know if there is something interesting to add!
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmithee View Post
OK - maybe I spoke too soon when I said I was a builder - I meant more of a mechanical builder. Not so much on the electronics side of things.

Just having a look over their stuff (and I've not delved too deep in, so I might have the wrong impression) it looks like there is a fair bit to do on putting the controller system together.

Or is there a better way of getting a UAVx system?
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:05 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Jim, you are one amazing person.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:20 PM
Strictly DIY
Joined Jul 2010
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Jim, you are one amazing person.
I'm second to that Rev.
If we were making a poll for the most helpful person in Multi Rotor Helis Group, I bet Jim would be on top of the poll.

Vince
vinlee is offline Find More Posts by vinlee
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:57 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,532 Posts
Aw shucks Gents...Thanks!...

There are lots of great multicopter options out there for every skill level and budget. My interest is seeing this area of the hobby grow with all the great ideas and technical improvements that are captured for easy reference in the Mega Index. I hope that this will help others speed up their learning curve to be able to safely fly this complex, yet fun and versatile air vehicle and to then go on to contribute their own improvement ideas with the knowledge you gain from your own flying and building experiences.
Cheers,
Jim
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:07 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi,
Aw shucks Gents...Thanks!...

There are lots of great multicopter options out there for every skill level and budget. My interest is seeing this area of the hobby grow with all the great ideas and technical improvements that are captured for easy reference in the Mega Index. I hope that this will help others speed up their learning curve to be able to safely fly this complex, yet fun and versatile air vehicle and to then go on to contribute their own improvement ideas with the knowledge you gain from your own flying and building experiences.
Cheers,
Jim
hats off to you jim! i call you my mr know it all, when in doubt ask jim! in a good way! lol and YOU TOLERATE ME which is amazing in it self!
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:27 AM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,794 Posts
Hi Jim,
Maybe add this OSD to the list, it works good and $8.99 for the price..
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...t-price/Detail
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Oct 29, 2010, 06:02 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,532 Posts
Thanks Gary,
Added. Here is the RCG thread on it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post16403879
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-unit View Post
Hi Jim,
Maybe add this OSD to the list, it works good and $8.99 for the price..
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...t-price/Detail
Old Nov 09, 2010, 10:58 AM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
wow
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Nov 18, 2010, 04:39 PM
Real name's Teja :)
USA, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined May 2008
1,388 Posts
Hey guys, I just finished building my custom tricopter. I used a blade grip for a trex 500 for the yaw motor and a turnigy metal gear servo to control it. I have everything programmed and all the gyros work, however, the yaw servo does not really center. I am having difficulty getting the servo to center and quickly, right yaw and then it centers but very slowly. Left yaw is very minimal, and not as much travel as right but no centering. Do I just increase gain on the gyro?

My setup is:

Futaba 14mz
Futaba PCM G4 synthesized rx
3x Blue wonder motors
3x 10-15a escs
9x4.7 apc props (all same direction)
3s lipo
4x Telebee gyros. I think all the motor ones are in rate mode cause they work.

Thanks,
Teja
teha99 is offline Find More Posts by teha99
Old Nov 18, 2010, 04:48 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,532 Posts
Hi Teja,
You should ask your question in Signguys Tricopter thread. Folks there can help you: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142429
Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by jesolins; Nov 21, 2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:59 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2008
943 Posts
Hello,

The 3 first are huge !
I do not know if I miss it. But I can not informations about advantage/disavantage regarding tri versus quad ????
Cid156 is offline Find More Posts by Cid156
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Miniquad WSk250
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:26 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,532 Posts
Hi Cid,
Yep But indexed

Here is the only dedicated thread I have found with that title. Not much there though. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1340954

The differences between tris and quads are pretty basic. The tri uses a servo for yaw and the most of the quads, hexas and octos use centrifugal force of CW and CCW props. Either can use simple gyro only setups such as the HK401, or dedicated code written for a processor chip for stability. Generally the more sophisticated flight controller boards offer the most stable multicopters with self-leveling when properly setup and constructed and with proper motors, ESCs and props. They can also include more sophisticated features such as altitude hold, GPS, position hold way-points and return to home and auto-land. Some builds of quads etc, do use servos, but most feel this just adds another point of failure and complexity. Any of the multicopter platforms can be setup properly for AVP. Obviously you can potentially lift more with having more motors and props.
Hope that helps!
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid156 View Post
Hello,

The 3 first are huge !
I do not know if I miss it. But I can not informations about advantage/disavantage regarding tri versus quad ????
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:42 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2008
943 Posts
Thanks, but I was not looking for this kind of informations.

In fact I am looking for the flying quality. Which one is the more stable, fast, acrobatic...etc
Cid156 is offline Find More Posts by Cid156
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Miniquad WSk250
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:28 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,532 Posts
If Warthox flys either of them they are quite capable of aerobatics It is up to you and your build and flying skills for the most part to design them the way you intend to fly. The general rule is smaller frames (less than 30cm motor-to-motor) for aerobatics, larger frames (~40-70cm motor-to-motor) for stable AVP.
mwc quad - pitch/roll/yaw rate test (2 min 20 sec)

Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid156 View Post
Thanks, but I was not looking for this kind of informations.

In fact I am looking for the flying quality. Which one is the more stable, fast, acrobatic...etc
Last edited by jesolins; Nov 21, 2010 at 08:46 AM.