SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2003, 12:24 PM
Scott Summersgill
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Feb 2001
558 Posts
My Speedwing.net Mini Twin

Just thought I would share some pictures of my new Mini Twin. I finished it a couple of weeks ago and have flown it a few times. Flies great with a good speed range. My setup is as follows:

Stock Motors/props
GWS R4P receiver
Pixie 7 P ESC
2 cell Kokam 1020 battery
FMA S-60 servos
AUW: 7.5 oz's

It's covered in white So Lite with some Ultracoat for trim.

I do have one question though. I'm having some difficulty launching this thing. I've handlaunched all different kinds of planes ranging from parkies to F5B and I've never had any problems. With the Mini Twin I only have about one successful launch in 3. What is the best technique? I've tried launching from the trailing edge then hitting full power, holding with the battery and launching under power. It always pitches down quite drastically when launched. It's always touch and go whether I can get on the sticks before impact. What next?

Anyhow, here is pic number 1.

Later,
Scott
smsgill is offline Find More Posts by smsgill
Last edited by smsgill; Apr 13, 2003 at 12:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2003, 12:25 PM
Scott Summersgill
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Feb 2001
558 Posts
and pic number 2.
Last edited by smsgill; Apr 13, 2003 at 12:37 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 01:50 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Your Mini Twin looks great! I launch my twins by just holding onto the battery and throwing it at an upwards angle, then apply throttle. Another method is to hold the wing with your palm on the bottom and your thumb wrapped around the leading edge. It's the toss most Zagi flyers use. They call this a "pizza toss" since it is like holding a pizza over your head. This launching method is a little more difficult, but once you get the hang of it, it is easy.

Hope this helps.

-- Acer
htttp://speedwing.net
Acer is online now Find More Posts by Acer
Old Apr 13, 2003, 03:33 PM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
Even though I have wheels on my mini-twin, I still launch it when I am flying on grass by hand. This pizza toss Acer talks about is hard for me as you kinda have to bend your wrist back to your elbow (feels like anyways ).

I have been thinking of making some sort of a hand-held bungee launcher out of a CF arrow shaft mounted to a pistol type of hand grip with surgical tubing mounted to the front of the tube and to a sliding collar over the shaft. On the collar there would be some kind of a holder made from ply that the mini-twin or msw would set in.

Should work pretty good I think. It wouldn't need too much force on the tubing as it only need to give the wings a little more then a toss to get them going.

I'll play around with the idea some more and see if it works. Post back here later.

-Rodger
marjamar is offline Find More Posts by marjamar
Old Apr 14, 2003, 02:53 AM
Scott Summersgill
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Feb 2001
558 Posts
Guess I just need to do a bit more practicing to get the technique down, although I have to admit that the launcher sounds like a neat idea. Acer, thanks for the really fun little plane. Can't wait for the brushless wing.

Later,
Scott
Old Apr 14, 2003, 03:22 AM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having a little problem with launching the Mini Twin. On one launch my fingers got a little too close to the props and I wound up with one prop striking my index finger and the other prop striking my thumb.
The wounds weren't bad enough to end the flight early though.
Those little 3" props can do just so much damage.

In a recent bad landing on a paved runway I broke off small pieces from the bottom of the ply motor mount, making the grip area that much smaller. I plan to glue on a small piece of sandpaper where my fingers grip the ply. I've used the sandpaper method on several other models. It really gives you a sure grip, and adds very little weight.

One suggestion.....I give approx. 5 clicks of "up" trim for takeoff, and add to this the thrust of a 3-cell Lipoly pack.
My take-offs are always 100% (except for finger strikes) with this combination, though it is a little bit of a challenge getting to the stick fast enough to take control of the Mini.
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Apr 14, 2003, 08:58 AM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
I was out flying the mini twin yesterday afternoon and decided to try a few different ways to launch it. I remembered one of the slop gliders Andy had designed with a reinforced part of the wing tip he would hold on to and kinda fling the plane up, kinda like a underhand method of shot-put.

With that in mind I held the front of the wing near the tip, gave it full power and just did a moderate soft ball style pitch up at around a 45 degree angle -- Took off real easy and nice. Since the motors where already pulling, seems it takes only a very small effort to start the mini twin flying if it is heading in the right direction.

I've been giving more thought to the hand launcher idea, but as of yet I have to admit it seems like it may be more trouble then it is worth, especially since trying the wing tip launch idea. I'll be trying this for awhile and see if it continues to work OK for me.

-Rodger
marjamar is offline Find More Posts by marjamar
Old Apr 14, 2003, 09:37 AM
Oskaloosa, IA
Joined Apr 2002
363 Posts
I add a little "up" reflex to the elevons on all my flying wings (the Minispeedwing included).

This is just like what is recommended for the Projeti. I have it set up on a switch on my TX.

It helps me gain a little more altitude in the launch.
latch66 is offline Find More Posts by latch66
Old Apr 14, 2003, 09:59 AM
Time To Fly?
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined May 2002
729 Posts
I just toss mine then hit the power, no problems just have to be quick!!

Dale
gobigdale is offline Find More Posts by gobigdale
Old Apr 15, 2003, 03:47 PM
Scott Summersgill
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Feb 2001
558 Posts
Well, hopefully I can get some practice in this weekend. Forcast doesn't look too good though. Thanks for the advice.

Acer,

So when is the brushless Speedwing going to be ready?

Later,
Scott
Old Apr 15, 2003, 04:38 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Should be about 2 weeks before the SpeedWing 400 is ready to be sold. I have the laser cutting all lined up, I'm just waiting on the wood to arrive.

Here's a picture of the SpeedWing 400 with optional 2 mil HIgh gloss vinyl graphics. I'm not too sure about the pricing for the optional vinyl yet. Colors would be in yellow, black, red, or white.

-- Acer
http://speedwing.net
Acer is online now Find More Posts by Acer
Old Apr 15, 2003, 05:58 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
nice little wing!

I was interested in mini speed wing and had few questions. To start with, do I need special type of tape for covering it while building? I was looking for a flying wing that I could just glue and fly. How many hours does it take to build it? I am not a good builder,so if one of the retail guys could build it for me for an extra charge then I'll be happy to buy it.

If this is not available then what are the extra equipments needed to build it?

thanks
someone special is offline Find More Posts by someone special
Last edited by someone special; Apr 15, 2003 at 06:01 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 08:42 PM
Scott Summersgill
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Feb 2001
558 Posts
Ooooo, me likey the vinyl graphics! Do you know what the pricing will be on the Speedwing 400?

Someone Special,

You can use any colored packing tape to cover the Mini Twin or Speedwing. As far as glue and fly, this is about as close as you can get. The instructions are very detailed and Acer is great at answering any questions you may have. Build time is around a day, especially if you are not an experienced builder. I say give it a go. As far as extra equipment is concerned, both the Mini Twin and Speedwing come with Motor(s) and props so all you will need is a transmitter with elevon mixing and preferably an exponential adjustment, micro receiver, electronic speed control, two micro servos, and a battery pack.

Scott
Old Apr 15, 2003, 10:53 PM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
I sold my Zagi and FMA Razor and downsized to the Mini Twin. Now will I wind up "up-sizing" to the Speedwing 400.....Hmmmm

It does look a lot cooler than the Zagi/Razor, and if it flys like the Mini Twin it's sure to be a winner.
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:05 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
which one is better? the mini speed wing or the mini twin?, I am not a beginner in flying wings. I have flown Megastealth B2 bomber successfully, which is much faster than these two(60 mph). I really like the looks and the size of both of these wings.

so 40 dollors speed wing + color tape + epoxy. Is this all I needd to build the Mini speed wing? I have the radio, 5 am speed control. I just need to buy the battery.
does the stock motor has enough ummp to power this little wonder to safe altitude?

thanks
reminder: there was no covering required in megastealth, so consider me a beginner in building dept. I am just cautious, dont want to spend 100 of dollors for nothing

have fun with your wings!
someone special is offline Find More Posts by someone special