Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 18, 2009, 04:20 AM
Go on just 1 more beer then
Bournemouth Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
726 Posts
New Product
New Build thread for Viper F5D Model

I have just received probably the first Viper to make it out of Austria to an English speaking F5D Pilot.

First impression is its beautiful and the finish is top quality.

I will start building this afternoon and hopefully be flying in a couple of days (orders servos yesterday and not here yet).

Note that the Wing and Tail are screwed on which is handy and why I could put it together straight out of the box to take this picture.

Rob
Rob AR is offline Find More Posts by Rob AR
Last edited by Rob AR; Aug 18, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2009, 04:38 AM
Speed King
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Feb 2003
958 Posts
Looks nice Rob.
MarkChinery is offline Find More Posts by MarkChinery
Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:28 AM
I plan to take over world
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jul 2002
1,593 Posts
Nice color! Same as my kawasaki (more black and less green though).
Does the tail feel stiff enough with only screws holding it?
sayno2glo is offline Find More Posts by sayno2glo
Old Aug 18, 2009, 06:43 AM
Joined Aug 2004
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayno2glo
Nice color! Same as my kawasaki (more black and less green though).
Does the tail feel stiff enough with only screws holding it?
Yes it all looks and feel very stiff and business like.

I guess the tail is OK as they have had one of my 5s set ups flying on 6s which looked crazy fast. Its on You Tube if you have not seen it.

The fin is solid Carbon as well as the tail boom etc so I will be hanging my arial out the back again the same as in my Demon.

I can feel a small mod to the back end as I am not to happy with the way they sugest the Elevator linkage is set up however I will let you know what happens Later.

Rob
Old Aug 18, 2009, 07:19 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob AR
......I guess the tail is OK as they have had one of my 5s set ups flying on 6s which looked crazy fast. Its on You Tube if you have not seen it......
Is that the one where the flying is being done in a field with windmills? Man that thing is MOTIVATING!!!!!

BTW, where can one get the Viper? I've been looking for one ever since watching that video.

It's using a Mega 16/25/2 on 6S 2100 30C.

Edit: Answered my own question with a search. Viper F5D

Viper F5D (2 min 11 sec)
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Last edited by GregG; Aug 18, 2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 07:51 AM
Speed King
Joined Feb 2003
958 Posts
GragG,
Vipers can be brought from stratair in Austira.

http://www.stratair.com/
Old Aug 18, 2009, 07:57 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,865 Posts
Why does the Viper have such a long nosecone?
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Aug 18, 2009, 08:04 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSawers
To be used as a Mini-F5B model with a geared motor and a folding prop...
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
Old Aug 18, 2009, 08:10 AM
Joined Aug 2004
726 Posts
Quote:
I will let you know when it all balances out but since swaping to Lipo I am running with quite a bit of lead up the front wraped arround the motor which i guess puts quite a bit of strain on the bulkhead.

I assume the longer nose will stop this It will also give me (I hope) more room for the speed controller etc as its all quite a squeeze inside the Demon.

The paperwork is not going well so the build might not start till after a get back from an Apointment this afternoon

We have strong winds and rain forcast Thursday and Friday so it looks like the test flight might now be at the weekend giving me only 1 week to get it all sorted ready for the British Nationals.

Rob
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:22 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jul 2002
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob AR
Yes it all looks and feel very stiff and business like.
I can feel a small mod to the back end as I am not to happy with the way they sugest the Elevator linkage is set up however I will let you know what happens Later.

Rob
I'm all ears as we are making another mod fuse for Batleth and maybe 2 bolts to hold the tail. If it's good method I might make the effort.
I somehow assumed that those 6s guys might have had glue in there just in case
Old Aug 18, 2009, 03:41 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,865 Posts
I'm in the UK at the moment and may be able to make it to the Nats for a day. If so, hope to see the Viper (and you guys) then...
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:04 PM
Joined Aug 2004
726 Posts
Quote:
I'm in the UK at the moment and may be able to make it to the Nats for a day. If so, hope to see the Viper (and you guys) then...
That will be great to see you again.

Bring a model and have a go, this years Nats is going to be the hottest Nats F5D has ever seen with 6 people all able to go low 60's and possibley sub 60.

Hence me building a new model to try and keep ahead of the young guns
Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:20 PM
Joined Aug 2004
726 Posts
Second Impressions

Build Quality is very very good. The Colour is solid no runs and smooth as silk. In fact its too nice as I have already scratched it in the work shop which is so annoying when the model is so nice to start with.

Having seen Stratair's work in the past I expected it to be good but this is what they call the show version which is slightly heavier with a thicker spar and thicker paint. As I fly 5S my packs are no-where near the maximum weight so I can afford extra weight in the model hence going for the show version.

Now I have it I wonder what the normal one is like as this model is only 310 grams out of the box. It looks like I will still have to add a few grams to get to 1000g anyway even with my heavier motors and ESC.

The wing is higher aspect ratio to the Demon as its just slightly thinner in cord and more span however the big difference is the fuz. Its thinner and a lot longer as you can tell from the photo.

I have now decided were everything will go and what I am going to do so the build proper starts tomorrow.

Rob
Old Aug 19, 2009, 02:49 AM
Speed King
Joined Feb 2003
958 Posts
Just for information for anyone looking at buying this model.

A couple of weeks back I asked Rainer if you needed the show version for F5D. he informed me that the normal version is more than enough for F5D. The show version is built stornger for those sport flyers who pile millions of lipos in to get enormous amounts of power for i.e. show flying. So if you are going to buy one for F5D, you dont need to pay the extra.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:11 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jul 2002
1,593 Posts
Hi,
Just to remind how light model can be strong enough let's see what the planes weighted in Romania WC. We had to watch the weight with Nimh so my plane weighed:
157g wing+42g fuse+13g tail=212g
Christians plane was even lighter and weighted approximately the same but including servos.
Last edited by sayno2glo; Aug 19, 2009 at 10:17 AM.