HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2009, 07:25 PM
Starring as Devils Advocate
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Discussion
Trying to start club at this field...but big enough?

My buddies and I have discovered a beatiful new "protected" park that no one seems to use. We've been here 4 times now and we've yet to see another soul. The place is absolutely beautiful and we'd like to start an AMA sanctioned club here, at least on some days/hours of the day, this because technically it is designated as a dog park/open public land. We have someone with great influence in the township on our side. He really could help us get it done but now I'm wondering if the park itself is big enough? Also what else would we need at the field. It has electric run to the large gazebo where we fly from but it's not hooked up. It does not have runways, just walking paths that would be tricky to navigate for landings but is the field itself big enough for a "small electric club"? Please at least check out a little of the video and let me know what you guys think.
RC Flying: Easystar Aerial Photography...co-pilot...Dogpark1 (7 min 44 sec)
redhotpearl is offline Find More Posts by redhotpearl
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:21 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Your flyover never gave a good overall view of the whole field, to get a real feel for the size, but I think it would be fine for planes of the size and speed that you flew there. Could you pace off the length and width, or post the google long/lat so I could get a full overhead view?

My club flies in a public park, using 4 adjacent grass hockey fields for pits and runway, plus a large swampy area along a creek for safe flyover zone. The 4 fields would measure about 1,000 ft long by 400 ft wide. In that area we fly models up to 1/4 and 1/3 scale, and 3 metre sailplanes quite safely. Here's a google shot:
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:30 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,251 Posts
If you stay with smaller electrics I think you will be OK. I've flown out of tighter places than that. Your needs would be simple enough. A cut runway would be enough for small planes. My clubs first field had a mowed area 250 by 60 feet for our runway and we were flying glow at the time.
Your other need would be a pit area and some sort of spectator control. How you would handle the dogs and walkers is your biggest problem and with that one you're on your own.
Good luck

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:17 AM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined May 2009
147 Posts
idk
chrisellington is offline Find More Posts by chrisellington
Old Aug 18, 2009, 08:14 AM
Manila, Philippines and Burlingame, CA
Joined Jul 2007
241 Posts
chrisellington - Is there a field near the martinez area? I have a house up in Vallejo and when we vacation in april, hopefully I can fly there.
Gopedasia is offline Find More Posts by Gopedasia
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:49 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,359 Posts
To get city permission and AMA sanction, you wil probably need to have all fliers get AMA insurance coverage, a means of preventing non-insured fliers from flying there and a means of suspending unsafe fliers for cause. You will probably need city issued annual permits, with registration fees for all flyers conditional on AMA insurance. You may run into tree-hugger opposition to making a runway and other amenities like pits and barriers, posting signs, etc. You will also be asked to suspend flying for special events, scheduled dog obedience classes, etc. You will also need to protect/defend your club from potential legal action due to injury or property damage.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:54 AM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
To get city permission and AMA sanction, you wil probably need to have all fliers get AMA insurance coverage, a means of preventing non-insured fliers from flying there and a means of suspending unsafe fliers for cause. You will probably need city issued annual permits, with registration fees for all flyers conditional on AMA insurance. You may run into tree-hugger opposition to making a runway and other amenities like pits and barriers, posting signs, etc. You will also be asked to suspend flying for special events, scheduled dog obedience classes, etc. You will also need to protect/defend your club from potential legal action due to injury or property damage.
And for the love of all that is Holy...don't make any noise! Doesn't matter if the thing is next to a railyard...someone will hear your electric plane!
CFisher1421 is offline Find More Posts by CFisher1421
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:51 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined May 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopedasia
chrisellington - Is there a field near the martinez area? I have a house up in Vallejo and when we vacation in april, hopefully I can fly there.

I'll PM you instead of hijacking this thread.
chrisellington is offline Find More Posts by chrisellington
Old Aug 18, 2009, 04:05 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, NJ, Clementon
Joined Mar 2005
694 Posts
where in South Jersey are you? there are clubs you could join.

I fly at a club in Marlton-Evesham township. Check out www.sjsf.org for info.

There are other clubs in the area also.

Pat
yamakawazuki is offline Find More Posts by yamakawazuki
Old Aug 20, 2009, 02:08 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamakawazuki
where in South Jersey are you? there are clubs you could join.

I fly at a club in Marlton-Evesham township. Check out www.sjsf.org for info.

There are other clubs in the area also.

Pat
Hey man, I live in Merchantville, I'm about to move to Bellmawr. You're right near me. I actually looked into your club and a couple others but couldn't justify the dues with the amount of time I thought I'd be spending there. If we were able to get this field it would be 5-10 minutes from my new house depending on traffic...very close. Also I have a foundness for that area. I grew up less than 5 minutes away and we spent some time in the woods and surrounding area as kids exploring, fishing the horrible Timber Creek. You can actually see the Creek in the video all mossed over. The other closest AMA field to this one would be Lakeland which is still a little ways away.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 04:16 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, NJ, Clementon
Joined Mar 2005
694 Posts
My field may be a bit of a drive for you. Bellmawr is about 15 to 20 minutes from me. My field is 20 minutes, in the opposite direction.

Our club fee is only 20.00 a year. That's hard to beat. For me its worth it. I'm out there every weekend.

Good luck getting that field. Its nice having a field close by.

Pat
yamakawazuki is offline Find More Posts by yamakawazuki
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:41 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Wow 20 bucks? That is cheap. I must have thought you were a different club. The two clubs I looked at, the clubs dues were 130 bucks and 140 bucks if I remember correctly.